Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Heater Hose rerouting

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:41 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: C1500
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Heater Hose rerouting

I put a new heater core in my car this week. Tonight hooked the hoses up, I took the heater valve out, I just want a simple 2 hose setup. I ran a line from the water pump to the heater core, and then back to the radiator.

I'm not getting any heat! I'm pretty sure that this is the way the heater hoses are routed on a carborated thirdgen. Why am I not getting any heat? Are the hoses hooked up in such a way that I won't get flow through the heater core?

Since the heater core is new I'm wondering if the thing could be clogged up or something. I'm guessing that I've just hooked it up wrong though.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
This probably could have gone in the cooling forum but you should get a faster answer here.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
The problem is, you have both hoses hooked to places on the cold side of the cooling system. The fitting on the water pump is on its suction side, where it's drawing water out of the radiator; and the fitting on the radiator is right where the pump is drawing in the cooled water from. No pressure differential, therefore no flow.

Hook a port on the top of the intake (hot water coming out of the top of the engine on its way to be cooled) to one heater hose nipple, and either the water pump port or the radiator port to the other. Plug whichever cold side port you don't use.