Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004 | 03:06 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z 28
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700R4
starter problem

my car wont start, i had the battery checked and its good. When i turn the key all i get is a clicking noise. Im guessing the starter is gone or the ignition is messed up, what do you think? Is it hard to take the starter off when headers are installed?

I cant get my jack to fit under the car to raise it, i have a 3 inch y pipe and a different jack then the car came with. I can try something else to get it raised hopefully it will work

is there a way to make a starter heat shield to prevent the headers from heatt soaking it>?

Last edited by 2 dope; 03-13-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2004 | 07:50 AM
20 Year Member

You're going to have to get the car raised somehow before you can really get into the problem. My TA and a couple other cars also sit fairly low (the TA has 1½" of front ground clearance). I've fabricated some long 3" tall wood ramps to drive onto just so I can get my low profile hydraulic jack under the car. Something like that might work for you. The commercially available ramps that I've seen are too tall to fit my cars onto (not enough of a gradual slope), so I made some that work.

Once you get it raised, you need to check your electrical connections at the starter main power terminals, the "S" terminal on the solenoid, and the connection from the solenoid to the starter motor (bottom solenoid terminal). You should also closely inspect your fusible links while under there. If everything there is intact, you could have a weak solenoid, weak starter motor, poor brush contact (worn starter), or electrical problem away from the starter.
Old 03-15-2004 | 11:13 PM

ok i got the starter off, no problems except the connection where the power wire goes broke off the solenoid. I ordered a remote solenoid to install. Im getting the starter checked out to see if its still good, im guessing it was the solenoid that was bad.

Anyone else have a remote solenoid installed in their engine bay? It seems like a good idea so i bought one from Summit. It will deffinatly be worth it to get it away from the heat from the headers.
Old 03-16-2004 | 01:30 PM

Car: 85 T/A
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
I had big troubles with my starter getting to hot. I tried the remote solenoid, wrapping the starter with a heat shield, wrapping the headers, new oversize cables, ect ect. The ONLY thing that worked was a high torque mini starter. Installing the remote solenoid is easy if you want to try it, but it did not work for me.
Old 03-16-2004 | 10:58 PM

Originally posted by dd85T/A
I had big troubles with my starter getting to hot. I tried the remote solenoid, wrapping the starter with a heat shield, wrapping the headers, new oversize cables, ect ect. The ONLY thing that worked was a high torque mini starter. Installing the remote solenoid is easy if you want to try it, but it did not work for me.
what happened safter you installed it? It wouldnt start the car?

I was gonna get a mini starter but dont have the $ for it right now so im going with the remote solenoid for now.
Old 03-16-2004 | 10:58 PM

Originally posted by dd85T/A
what happened safter you installed it? It wouldnt start the car?

I was gonna get a mini starter but dont have the $ for it right now so im going with the remote solenoid for now.
Old 03-17-2004 | 07:10 AM

Car: 85 T/A
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
My motor would start as long as it was not hot. After the high torque starter install it will start no matter how hot it gets. The headers were just to hot for the standard starter. Buy the way I tried 3 different standard starters before I got smart and picked up the mini. Good luck, your situation may be different than mine.