Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

SMOKE pouring from hood! WAA!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMOKE pouring from hood! WAA!

Anyways, i'm driven' to work this morning and i realize (while i'm at a stop sign) SMOKE is POURING from my hood... my first thought was "great cracked radiator" so, i pull over, pop my hood, and look.... OIL WTF!?! so, i start looking to realize its Squirting out my dipstick tube! I then realize that with the new dipstick tube ( i got off a 350 from a caprice) i didn't use the same dipstick from that car, and the orginal camaro one was letting oil out? I didn't even know that the oil was that pressurized in my car! (does that sound right?) Anyways, now i'm so worried, about my 1st love, because when i put the tube in, down by the pan there was like 2mm of space between the oil pan and the dipstick tube stopper (i couldn't get the tube to go all the way down) that i'm afraid that she's leaking down there too! well, i'll have to get the ***** up on stands after work toady hopefully its not leaking down there, and it was just through the top. This sucks, because i JUST got my exhaust on, and i was enjoying driving the Z28 again *SIGH*
So, i'm wondering if that 2mm of space could ALSO cause oil to leak there?
-Abe

Edit: i also took the old dipstick from the caprice in my trunk and put it in where the stock old one went, and that stopped the leak.
Old 02-17-2001, 08:42 PM

Car: 86 z28
Engine: Hyd. roller 498
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.90 gears
Could you have possibly overfilled your enigne with oil?

------------------
Big 454 '86 Camaro Z28 '72 Nova w/454 BBC
Old 02-18-2001, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

If it's coming out of the top of the dipstick tube I would say that your pcv valve/valve cover breather is plogged or one of the lines leading to the throttle body. This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase and the only hole it can come out through is the dipstick, which is below the oil line, hence you get oil everywhere. So in short, I would check the pcv valve or try driving it w/o the oil cap and see if the leak goes away.

Just my .02
Old 02-18-2001, 09:50 AM
Banned

Your dipstick tube should not be going down into your oil. If it is then you installed the tube wrong. If it isn't then you are running way too much oil.
Old 02-18-2001, 11:43 AM

Guys, thanks alot. i'm going to go get a new PCV valve today. I also think that i might have put about 1/4th of a quart too much oil in...could that be causing higher oil pressure? Also, so if i DIDN't have my dipstick tube in my car, and everything was running right, would oil come outa the hole in the oil pan? After reading this post, i'm basically assuming that the 2mm space shouldn't be giving me ANY problems w/oil comming outa there (right?)
Thanks alot!
-Abe
Old 02-18-2001, 12:08 PM
Banned

your oil level should be well below the top edge of the oil pan. Smallblock chevies take about 4.5 quarts to fill the pan & filter to proper level.

If your dipstick tube was missing, then oil should not POUR out of the hole, but when the engine is running it will be slung out due to crankshaft windage. Excessive crankcase pressure would increase this. If you have excessive pressure in your block then you would probably see oil leaking out around the oil-filler cap and PCV port on the valvecovers. Your engine may have excessive blowby. If it is a fresh engine then your rings may not be seated yet.

You may also want to run a vent on one of your valvecovers.
ODB

[This message has been edited by The ODB (edited February 18, 2001).]
Old 02-18-2001, 09:52 PM

ODB, if i had excessive blow by, i'd see if all over my hand if i out my hand by my exhaust while i had someone "give" the car gas right? Also, if i was experiencen' blowby wouldnt the smoke comming from my car have a blue tint? Well, i thank you for your knowladge! i haven't been experienceing any oil loss today(i've been checking my oil about every 30 min of driving)
Thanks for the help,

------------------
1991 Z28 305 TPI.

Mods: Hypertech Airfoil, gutted airboxes, K&Ns,polished 91' rims (they turned pink!), and all rear end bushings & tranny mout are energy suspension poly ones now

*MODS Currently being installed*: Edelbrock TES w/3" outlet y-pipe, 3" catco hi-flow cat, and hooker 3" catback w/areochamber.

MORE TO COME: Any suggestions on what to do next? I really want to try and make the 305 run 13s (i've mostly been doing basic repair to the car, but now most of its done i have money to mod!)e-mail me@ abraham_39@hotmail.com
Old 02-18-2001, 10:04 PM
Banned

There are different encarnations of blowby. You are thinking of combustion chamber oiling because of piston rings not controlling the oil, or oil seepage from worn valveguides/seals.

There is another kind of blowby that is either the rings not holding pressure in the cylinder, or the valves not sealing the chambers. This kind of blowby does not smoke, but it builds great pressure inside your crankcase.