Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Tpi stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004 | 06:14 PM

Tpi stalling

Okay I need some advice PLEASE. I just installed a speed density tpi 305 into my 53 belair. I just started it up and it ran great in the garage for about a half hour and when I took it for a test drive she is dying. Here is what I have done so far. All of the pollution is disconnected including the egr valve. The vacum lines have been plugged and a new chip was burned by howell racing along with a frame rail mounted fuel pump from howell. The return line for the fuel does not go into the gas tank but, into a T in the fuel line before the pump. The return is probably about 30 inches awy from the pump and the pump is about 36 inches of fuel line away from the tank. The car was fine until I filled the tank(coincidence I don't know). I shut it down filled it up and it didn't want to start again it seemed flooded. So I pulled the fuel pump relay and kept cranking with no pump going and it started. I put the relay back in and off I went to try to make it back to the garage but it just died about 300 feet later. It just kept cranking and wouldn't start so I pulled the fuel pump relay again and cranked it a few times and she started again without the fuel pump running and ran for about a minute or so till it died (no fuel pump running). I am wondering if you can run a fuel return back into the fuel line or does it have to go to the tank. Or maybe my fuel pressure regulator is no good? I am not to sure but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks