Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

About to weld on fuel tank sump, any pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to weld on fuel tank sump, any pointers?

I already cut a big fark'n hole in the bottom of the tank. Are there any tricks to it? Just weld it over the hole, so the fittings are at lowest/rearmost point of the tank?

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 02-10-2001, 04:15 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i had it to do over i'd put mine on all the way to the right so i had more room for fuel pump and filter, but all i did was center it up and more or less all the way back.

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
Old 02-10-2001, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar
welding a gas tank is very dangerous
Old 02-10-2001, 07:23 PM

Dont burn any holes in it and turn it to swiss cheese...
Old 02-10-2001, 08:03 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

too late jester told me on icq he's seeking profesional help on this one.

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
Old 02-10-2001, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, ladies, gentlemen, and ede, learn from my mistake. No matter how good you think you are, never try to weld steel that thin with an arc welder

Hope my weldign shop is willing to try and fix the holes I burned

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 02-10-2001, 08:45 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Jester,

Don't feel too bad. That would be pretty tough, even with a cold MIG. It's no wonder the new tanks are blow-molded poly.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 02-11-2001, 12:07 PM

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: Yes
Transmission: That, too.
Yeah, but knowing Jester he'd still try to arc weld the blow-molded poly tank, with more or less similar results.

------------------
89 IROC with lots o' stuff

-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 02-11-2001, 12:14 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

jester i welded the sump on mine with no major problems why can't you?

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
Old 02-11-2001, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D_Amlee:
Yeah, but knowing Jester he'd still try to arc weld the blow-molded poly tank, with more or less similar results.

</font>
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA WOHOO I managed to do it. Just have a few small holes left to fill..but I ran out of rods. I changed to a different rod, 3/32" 6013 instead of 6011. That, 40 amps, and being very careful did it. Still burned a few holes, but nothing I couldn't fill.

LMAO for my next trick, I WILL try welding blown poly..bet I can do it

------------------
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 02-11-2001, 05:25 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
DA,

Good one! What kind of filler would you recommend, polyethylene or GRP?

(Actually, I've had fair success with "welding" poly and PVC with the electric heated air torches, so we shouldn't pick on him too much - pick on him just enough.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ede,

Not everyone is the "Master of Molten Metal" as you are. If I had a tough weld job, you'd be hearing a knock on your door... At least I can succesfully stick a rod to almost any metallic surface. Cutting off the excess has always been the tough part. I've made plenty of "coat hooks".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jester,

A small MIG isn't THAT expensive, and can be indispensible around the shop. You can catch the used portables on eBay for under $150.00. They're usually adequate for most steels up to 3/16" and can be pushed to penetrate adequately on clean 1/4" steel if necessary. Most everything on the car/truck is lighter than that, like LCAs, floors, body panels, and fuel tanks. the gasless ones can cause a little spatter mess, but no worse than the electrodes you are now using.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 02-11-2001, 05:32 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

i know jester would never admit to it, but he couldn't of done it with out me coaching him thru it. that's my boy

vader while jester was welding his gas tank i cut up 2 sets of valve covers and made my tall set. used a torch on one a nd mig on the other, both with about equall results. my eyes are starting to let me down a little and bi focals make it a lot harder to see everything. i think tig would of been the best way, but i didn't want to clean them up and my tig doesn't have a foot pedal.

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
Old 02-12-2001, 02:36 PM

Ive found the best way to weld a gas tank is to have a cold case of beer. fill up the tank with gas and smoke a cigarette. Once you start to tack it(doesnt matter if its mig, arc, or tig) your problems are all over..
Old 02-12-2001, 02:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
You know, last night I was going to suggest that filling it with gas would keep the metal cooler and prevent burn-thru, but I thought that would be in poor taste.
Old 02-12-2001, 06:07 PM

I would probably prefer a MIG welder, but am surprised no one suggested an acetylene torch to braze it.

It could very well see more use than a MIG welder since it is so versitle - welding, brazing, soldering, silver soldering, heating parts for assembly/disassembly and bending, quenching, cutting steel, melting the plastic caps off the stock factory u-joints, soldering/welding aluminum, just to mention a few often used applications.

While sort of off topic, I've even seen it braze aluminum that wets, flows and penetrates like nickel bearing silver solder, melting at 1080°F. For soldering aluminum, it'll melt at 780°F making pretty joints with high quality flowing, just like solder on copper pipes; great for working on aluminum radiators, etc.

Okay okay, so it's a lot off topic, but I just couldn't resist...
Old 02-12-2001, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

Mig are damn cool there is no doubt, but after this I don't think I'll ever bother. I dont care how neat a weld looks..just how well it works. I just did .030" steel with an arc, so I don't think I'll ever really NEED a mig. The few times, if ever, I do I don't think I'll mind paying someone to do it.

------------------
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports