Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Are alternators supposed to beep?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are alternators supposed to beep?

This is in continuance of this thread:
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=225219

I drove it around for about 20 minutes on the borg/warner coil trying to get it to die for me so I could hook up my fuel pressure gauge to verify that it was fine like the shop said. I could not get it to die so I switched over to the Well's coil (still not sure whether its coil problems or not). I drove around for another 15 minutes and it started to hesitate so I parked it and got ready to hook everything up.

I stuck the timing light on the #1 spark plug and the flashes seemed fine until it hesitated (in idle) and finally shut down. Towards the end until it shut down it looked like the sparks were failing but I'm not entirely sure what to look for or how to diagnose such an intermittent problem.

The car wouldn't start again after it failed so I reattached the borg/warner coil and the car still would not run. Thats when I noticed my alternator was beeping, like a continuing beep or whine from the alternator. It only beeps while the ignition is on, and I verified its the alternator becuase I unplugged the plug from the back and it stops and starts.

In all the years I've worked on this Camaro (and thats pretty much daily wit h this car) I have never heard its alternator beep like that.

Could this be the source of my problem? (crosses fingers).

I could not check the fuel pressure when the car was running, was to late on that, but when the ignition was turned on it jumped to 14 psi and slowly leeched off to 0.

Regardless it seems that the coil is not the problem, everything in the distributor is new. I'm running out of ideas on this one.