Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Park/Neutral Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004 | 05:52 AM

Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Park/Neutral Switch

After removing the center console and tracing down the purple wire that should go from the P/N switch to the starter, I can't locate the P/N switch. On a 1991 RS is it located more towards/underneath the radio?
Does anybody have a pic or maybe explain where the P/N switch is located, what the P/N looks like?
I have a no start condition, ie dead nothing
Turn key to start car, nothing!
Replaced battery and starter enable relay. Ignition coil good, alternator good, all fuses (in fuse panel) ok. 12V to starter.
Check engine light comes, security light comes on and then goes off like it should.
I'm stumped after two days trying to figure out what is going on.
Lastly, I could not locate the VATS module, however, it seems to me if the security light is coming on and the starter enable (ant-theft) relay is functional, it is not an ignition key/ignition cylinder problem, right?
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2004 | 06:29 AM
Supreme Member

The switch is mounted to the shifter. It is a flat 1/4" thick device molded into an arc with the electrical connector on it.
Old 02-20-2004 | 01:23 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE A.K.A The blue rocket
Engine: Blown 383
Transmission: Full manual 700R4
There may be other gremlins at work here. I have read several posts( after my Z started, or I should say didnt start with this problem) that everone speculated that there was something wrong with the colum, or ignition switch. I too have went through several starters and batteries, checked everthing I could think of. It seemed that if I messed with the tilt on the colum, it would start sometimes. Alot of guys say it has to do with the rod that runs inside the colum, that goes down to the floor,which acually hits a button that signals the starter to engage. It was said that the linkage could be wore out,yada-yada-yada. I realize suddenly that I'm blabbing like a women, my apologizes. Any way something to consider.
Old 02-22-2004 | 03:50 PM

Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Sorry for the delayed thanks!!
Anyways, after checking through all the VATS stuff (thanks to Trickster for his help!), I am getting voltage to the P/N switch. I jumpered the purple and green wire, the car would not crank.
I took the starter off and took it to Autozone and the starter tested at 95 amps. According to the guy at Autozone, the starter went south (bad) as it should be 145 amps. Is this true?
Also, it sounded slow like a dead spot, then take off, so to speak.
Thanks