Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Lt4 hot cam HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lt4 hot cam HELP

Well i bought a used hotcam that was supposed be low mileage and be in good shape but when i opened up the box the cam looked pretty beat up. It has small scratches that run along the cam bearing surface on the camshaft itself. Also the nose of the came where the timing chain bolts onto was pretty beat up. By the distributor gear there was a nick in the cam but it wasn't on a lobe or any other part where the cam contacts other metal. I just want to know if this cam is any good or did i get ripped off? I'm not saying any names until I find out if this cam is good or not. Also on the back was stamped
586 FM76 and 267 99R.
Are these the right numbers for a hotcam? I attached the only picture that i could get to come out halfway decent and you can see one of the scratches on the surface if you look real close.
Thanks for the help.
-Scott
Attached Thumbnails Lt4 hot cam HELP-cam.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 11:53 AM

you can try to scotchbrite the bearing surface where it is scratched to try and get it out... dont do it too much tho, and make sure it runs with the grain in the meatal already there. so long as none of the lobes are heavily damaged you should be good... I would def try to get that rust off though with some scotchbrite before installing it. the dings of the front of the cam are kind of hard to explain unless it has been dropped, the dowl would prevent it from being stored on that end. I will try and take some pictured of my cam, but I need to take it out of the block before I can do that.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:59 PM

FstBrd6point3

Thanks for the help. You don't need to take out your cam i found out from the casting numbers that it is a lt4 hot cam. My father was supposed to take the cam by my engine builder today to have him look at it and give me the final verdict. I talked to the seller and he said the dings on the front were from them modifying the dowel pin becuse it didn't come in contact with his optispark when he put it in.
Thanks again,
-Scott
Old 02-16-2004, 01:16 PM

well I need to take it out anyway lol, but ok
Old 02-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700 R4
Those lobes look okay but they don't look like a low mileage part.
I kinda think the guy misrepresented the condition of this part.
I bought a complete roller cam conversion set through Ebay from a guy on the east coast, who told me it was a 350 C1P cam in mint condition.
When I got it, all the parts were loosely wrapped and rattling around in the box and when I degreed the cam, it was a peanut cam. It definitely was not even close to mint condition either. It looked like it had at least 100K on it.
This MO sounds familiar...
Get some trash out of a junkyard and sell it on Ebay
At least you got the part you ordered

Last edited by Streetiron85; 02-16-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:41 PM

well the cool thing about roller cams in they never really wear... well not any that is going to effect mileage. My hot cam has about 3K miles on it, and it doesnt look too much different then the one you have. OLD roller cams develope a shiny 'wear' pattern on the lobes because the parts of the lobe that dont come in contact with the rollers get stained by oil. I think besides the few dings ya got a pretty decent cam. And FYI, in case you happen not to know, the little dowl on the front of the cam has to be pressed in a little if you are using it in an L98 block, if I remember, it needs to be .300 out from the front of the cam... doesnt need to be too precise tho to be honest, I used a ruler to measure it lol. just make sure you have enough sticking out to hold onto the cam gear.