Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

edlebrock problems!!?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edlebrock problems!!?????

ok heres the deal ive been having carb problems since i switched from tbi to carb. the conversion went fine easy to do ! but i cant for the life of me figure out what the hell the problem is,and it seems hopeless so here goes! ihad a q-jet and it was junk tried everything you guys posted to try, and some things helped but not enough! so i tried my friends edlebrock and my car ran like a mother********!!! so i know it really can run! and i went and bought one just like he had a (edlebock 600 manual choke) i thought to myself end of problems::: not even close!!
the first one ran like a piece, so i took it back,ok on my second one (i still have this one!) it runs like dog crap!, gets **** poor fuel milage!(8mpg). basically performance and milage both blow dong! the carb was bolted on out of the box, and the idle mixture screws are pre-set from edlebrock at 2 turns out! im running this on a 350 .40 over stock 882 heads(no cracks!) identical 151 327 -350hp cam .447/.447 lift- 222@50 duration. edlebrock tourqur 2 intake, and a stock 700r-4 (detent is correct also) so can anyone please help me determine why a new edlebrock is running so crappy?? please im begging i need lots of help oh yeah timing: 10 btdc vac advance hei(working great, new vac can!)

------------------
1989 firebird formula

Mods: converted from T.B.I. to a carburator 305 to a 350. Flowmater exhaust,hedman shortie hedders,202 heads,350 horse cam,bored.40 over, Edlebrock torker2 and a 600 edlebrock manual choke.

Future mods performer rpm air gap intake (polished) comp roller cam, and way better headsa 400 defintely in the works!
Old 02-01-2001, 12:17 AM

I know of someone in the past few months that bought a new 1406 Edel. carb and ran like crap. Bought a kit for it and when he opened the carb up found it came with no primary metering rods! He possibly was given a display unit, but they are usually stamped as such. Also, isn't a TorquerII intake a single plane? Why would you want that on the street?

------------------
'93 2wd truck
408 sb, vortecs, 454 TBI, Comp Cam, dual exhaust

[This message has been edited by SCRA rules! (edited January 31, 2001).]
Old 02-01-2001, 01:47 AM

What kinda fuel pump are you using? If its the TBI pump, I hope you have a fuel pressure regulator.

Its a simple carb, take it apart and make sure its clean and the specs are right. The fuel inlet or above the needle+seat is a screen, make sure those are clean too.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '94 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Have you considered that you might be running a bit rich. How about your friends 600, did he calibrate it any ? (Jets - Rods)

I had a guy down the street drop one on, and wondered why it was running so rich. I had to explain to him that we are at 6300 feet (Elizabeth, CO). need I say more.
Eldelbroke calibrates there carbs at sea level.

Ron

------------------
'82 Trans Am
'81 Camaro Z-28
'94 Vette LT1 Coupe
Old 02-01-2001, 05:24 PM
Banned

burnoutrpm, If you want my help then I'm there. My setup is pretty simple and works very well, so let me know.
Also where are you anyway? and what kind of vacuum do you pull at idle & what idle speed?

------------------
White 1986 Irocz, 305/383 with Edlebrock Performer-RPM intake and Performer #1407 carburetor, +110hp shot of crack, 700R-4 tranny, 3.25:1 rear, Mcreary Road-Stars, single 3" Borla exhaust, Linginfelter-TPI camshaft pulls 17" vacuum solid. N/A runs 10.9 @124, Crack-runs 10.3 @135... haven't run at track since Oct-99
Old 02-01-2001, 05:28 PM

Try to calibrate your carb as your friend did (if he even did at all...) and work from there. and when you take it apart to change the jets, you'll see if everything is clean/complete inside. you can also check the edelbrock site for a very helpful and thourough overview

------------------
350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake 600 cfm carb and exhaust, headers
-JVC, Eclipse, Pioneer, MTX, Phoenix Gold, Planet Audio
Old 02-01-2001, 05:29 PM

also are you sure the choke is operating properly???
Old 02-01-2001, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by CamaroZ_85:
also are you sure the choke is operating properly???
yes!! its a manual choke!! and its open all the time i never use it.

------------------
1989 firebird formula

Mods: converted from T.B.I. to a carburator 305 to a 350. Flowmater exhaust,hedman shortie hedders,202 heads,350 horse cam,bored.40 over, Edlebrock torker2 and a 600 edlebrock manual choke.

Future mods performer rpm air gap intake (polished) comp roller cam, and way better headsa 400 defintely in the works!
Old 02-01-2001, 10:57 PM

ok thanks guys i took the edlebrock in question back..... and guess what the new one is a little better about performance...but... not mileage!(yes its still lcaking compared to my friends!) anyhow you guys asked bout the fuel pump stock with,! a return line biult in and its a block-mechanical type pump. i dont know what the vacumm at idle is but, my friend made no mods as far as ros or jets bone stock. my new edlebrock 1405 manual choke (yes choke is fine!) 600 runs way toooo rich can actually smell the gas!! the idle mixture screws are at 2 turns out from the factory. is this too much how do you set the mixture with the tach? i heard its a good way if you dont have the vacumm guage? is this true?? also the tbi pump is completely ,totally disabled! please.pleae help?!!

------------------
1989 firebird formula

[This message has been edited by burnoutrpm (edited February 01, 2001).]
Old 02-02-2001, 06:21 AM
Banned

The vacuum at idle and idle speed plus your spark-advance at idle have tons to do with how you set your idle mix.
My engine pulls 17" at 700rpm (vacuum guage is only $10), and my mixture screws are only turned out .75 of a turn.
Even with low vacuum and spark, the most I've seen required is about 1.5 turns.
Are your sparkplugs looking black and leave black suit on your finger if you rub the tip?
If you have low vacuum you might want to try weaker springs on the metering rods too.
Also, using a 1" 4-hole spacer under the carb will help out signal tremendously.

Old 02-02-2001, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

The book that came with the carb should have a decent explaination of how to set the idle mixture (at least that's how carter does it). Basically I think you disconnect the vaccuum advance to the distributor, then adjust one of the idle screws to get maximum rpm. Then make the other screw match it. Adjust the idle speed to get it back at the right level, and repeat til things stop changing. But don't idle mixture adjustments only affect how your car runs at idle (and maybe slightly off idle)? It seems to me that you might want to verify that your metering rods and jets are the same as what your friend had (although they should be if it is the same carb). I'm running a carter 625cfm on my car with an electric choke, and it ran fine right out of the box. I have richened it up a little since then, but never had any big problems starting out. Oh yeah, after adjusting the idle mixture, put the vaccuum advance back on the distributor. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2001, 01:34 AM

okie dokie guess what!!!??? i actually had some good luck today yes, a oddd thing for me !!!!>>>>. anyhow i adjusted the idle mixture screws just like i did 2 times before!(on the other carbs, both edlebrocks before) and yes, it actually worked this time !!! it runs like a whipped puppy! the t.v. cable needs to be tweked on to get the right shift points but, thats about it for now. need a dual-plane intake (performer rpm) badddddly! get this i let someone out in front of me at a 4-way stop onmy way home from work just so i could see how fast i could pass him!!hahaha it felt real good for a change! thanks for all your guys's help till next time later!!

------------------
1989 firebird formula

Mods: converted from T.B.I. to a carburator 305 to a 350. Flowmater exhaust,hedman shortie hedders,202 heads,350 horse cam,bored.40 over, Edlebrock torker2 and a 600 edlebrock manual choke 3 of them!.

Old 02-03-2001, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by MikeS:
The book that came with the carb should have a decent explaination of how to set the idle mixture (at least that's how carter does it). Basically I think you disconnect the vaccuum advance to the distributor, then adjust one of the idle screws to get maximum rpm. Then make the other screw match it. Adjust the idle speed to get it back at the right level, and repeat til things stop changing. But don't idle mixture adjustments only affect how your car runs at idle (and maybe slightly off idle)? It seems to me that you might want to verify that your metering rods and jets are the same as what your friend had (although they should be if it is the same carb). I'm running a carter 625cfm on my car with an electric choke, and it ran fine right out of the box. I have richened it up a little since then, but never had any big problems starting out. Oh yeah, after adjusting the idle mixture, put the vaccuum advance back on the distributor. Good luck.
ok to set the ims's on a edlebrock(or carter) youleave the vac advance pluged in to the carb. then you let engine get to tempeture. then you(start doing alot of running!)hahha. anyway you then turn one screw in untill car stumbles(note rpm on tach!) then turn out untill it stops idleing up this will require constant monitoring of the tach (i.e. lots of walking!) then when it sounds like its quit going up check rpm, then turn back in slightly, note rpm! turn untill it starts to go back down. when this happens note rpm then turn back out untill the rpm is at maximum then turn back in just so slightly. note rpm again! this is very complicated! lots of walikg!(DO NOT LET YOUR FAN TURN ON, IT VARIES YOUR RPM TOOOO MUCH!) instead, if it gets too warm shut engine off and wait till its back to normal and start from where youleft off. SOUND COMPLICATED? its really not takes about 15min.! its much easier if you have a damn vac. guage! then you just turn them out till you get maximum vacumm at idle and YOU CAN WATCH THIS MUCH EASIER! any how do it the way i said , but, do both sides the exact same way( my way or vac guage way!) i hope this helps???

my email is: burnoutrpm@hotmail.com

------------------
1989 firebird formula

Mods: converted from T.B.I. to a carburator 305 to a 350. Flowmater exhaust,hedman shortie hedders,202 heads,350 horse cam,bored.40 over, Edlebrock torker2 and a 600 edlebrock manual choke 3 of them!.