Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

To Change Piston rings or Not to change piston rings NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004 | 10:47 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro
To Change Piston rings or Not to change piston rings NEED HELP ASAP

Im in a little bind.I have the heads off my 305 and im wondering if its really worth the work to change my piston rings.I have 120K on my 305 motor and have new rebuilt 187 heads that is ready to slap on.Should i change it or should i be good to go?I passed smog with flying colors and have had no problems with it so far.Should i change it just in case or would i be good?I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!CAMARO GURU'S PLEASE HELP~!!!!!!!!Also how hard is it to change the rings?
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:59 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Well if the engine is still in the car it has to come out to change the rings. Then you need to take into account you will need to change the rod bearings also. Piston rings can be ordered in a standard bore size but the ones you will get from a parts store will need to be filled down to fit.
Old 02-04-2004 | 11:07 PM

SSC wrote:Well if the engine is still in the car it has to come out to change the rings. Then you need to take into account you will need to change the rod bearings also. Piston rings can be ordered in a standard bore size but the ones you will get from a parts store will need to be filled down to fit.

Well the engine is already out...How hard is it to change the rod bearings and piston rings?At autozone,they give me a list of what size bore and then it says stock bore.Is that what im looking for?
Old 02-04-2004 | 11:26 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Yes if they stock them it is fairly easy to change them. Does your engine have a ridge on edge of the cylinders? Anything you can catch your finger nail on needs to be removed with a reamer so the rings will not get hung up and damaged on install. Also its a good idea to run a hone through each cylindar a few times to clean them up when installing new rings. Azone last I checked only had a standard set of 305 rings that was 0.10 over the 305 bore and thats all they stocked in either standard or moly. You will need a ring compresser to reinstall the pistons. Its not really an easy job if you have never done it before, Ive seen too many back yard overhauls go south to really suggest you attempt this on a good running enigne.
Old 02-04-2004 | 11:38 PM

Originally posted by SSC
Yes if they stock them it is fairly easy to change them. Does your engine have a ridge on edge of the cylinders? Anything you can catch your finger nail on needs to be removed with a reamer so the rings will not get hung up and damaged on install. Also its a good idea to run a hone through each cylindar a few times to clean them up when installing new rings. Azone last I checked only had a standard set of 305 rings that was 0.10 over the 305 bore and thats all they stocked in either standard or moly. You will need a ring compresser to reinstall the pistons. Its not really an easy job if you have never done it before, Ive seen too many back yard overhauls go south to really suggest you attempt this on a good running enigne.
Thanks for the help SSC.Here is the autozone link.http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...ISTON+RING+SET

Say i dont change the piston rings,I have new heads with a 3 angle valve job,pushrods,timing chain and intake and of course new gaskets.How many more miles can i expect out of the engine if i do preventative (sp) maintaince and oil changes every 2500 miles.I passed smog with flying colors and had no real problems with engine so far...I dont beat down on the engine everyday...Once or twice a month,its WOT....Just another small project turning into hell

Last edited by 91NiteRida'; 02-04-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2004 | 05:59 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

there's a lot more to changing rings than just changing rings. you'll end up needing cam bearings, freeze plugs, maybe over bore, cleaning the block, plus all the new bearings and other hard parts..
Old 02-05-2004 | 02:09 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE A.K.A The blue rocket
Engine: Blown 383
Transmission: Full manual 700R4
Like ede said, more too it than just changing the rings. If you are going to do it, you might as well do it right. If you half *** it, chances are that it will bite you in the end.
Old 02-05-2004 | 02:13 PM

Originally posted by MYBLUZ
Like ede said, more too it than just changing the rings. If you are going to do it, you might as well do it right. If you half *** it, chances are that it will bite you in the end.
Thanks EDE and MY BLUZ.I guess ill just take my chances and leave it alone only because the funds are not there.Plus im dumping money into it when i should get at 350 short block and build that engine up.I'll just get my heads and baby my car for the mean time.I would be looking at 250 to rebuild the lower end of the engine anyways.Thats a 350 short block for me...Thanks fella's
Old 02-06-2004 | 05:35 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE A.K.A The blue rocket
Engine: Blown 383
Transmission: Full manual 700R4
cool man, definatly go for the 350.