Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Good deal? Or another case of odometer rollback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deal? Or another case of odometer rollback?

Didn't know where else to post this slightly off topic post, but since this is the main board and it has to do with the engine somewhat....

In my current search for a new f-body (preferrably a 91-92 RS) after my dearly departed Firebird, I was going through some ads in an L.A. newspaper and found exactly what i was looking for:

A '91 RS with new tags, V8, and T-tops. As well as a new tranny w/ warranty and factory silver paint job, excellent condition in and out. Along with a Kenwood Mega system. One owner.

So i call the guy up and he tells me the car has 32000 miles! What was even more amazing, the asking price is $4990! As much as i'd love to jump at this car, it sounds suspicious. Already a new tranny? I know that usually a transmission will either die within the first 36000 miles or another 100K after that. In the case that it dies within 36K is prolly just a factory defect. But then again, it already has another paint job?

Any way i can physically tell if the odometer has been rolled? I know i can check the engine bay, and easily see if the car has 32K or 132K. Or the weather stripping. Anything else?

I know the car is worth 7100 KBB, adjusted for milage and options. And 4990 is a reasonable price drop for a one owner car after 10 years. But right after you remember it just had a new tranny and paint, and stereo, and tags, it suddenly sounds so unreasonable.
Old 01-26-2001, 04:52 PM

32000 miles... hmmmm
It takes a somewhat experienced eye to check something like that out, but look under the car, drive it (should be super tight, no rattles at all) check under the hood, it should look practically new. Carpet and seats should be clean with no wear at all. Where in LA is the car?
As for the odometer, make sure it works, there are no white marks anywhere besides the numbers, and that they all line up properly. Some people are really good at rolling them back, but others arent good at it and leave marks and stuff.
Old 01-26-2001, 08:58 PM

Received 234 Likes on 190 Posts
Most,

Max is correct - be cautious. My first question would be why would a car with that mileage need paint? I know the UV is tough on finishes and interior in Low Cal, but that seems a little questionable. Not impossible, just odd. Then there's the transmission.

It's not completely out of the question. My '86 TA has just over 45,000 miles, but it has original everything. Paint is changing color on the urethane nose, but the interior is like new, and the car is nowhere near needing a transmission.

Ask to see some maintenance records. If the bills say the oxygen sensor was replaced at 60,000 miles and the odometer says 32,000, I'd be more than suspicious.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
KaleCo Auto Parts
Old 01-26-2001, 09:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Formula
Engine: Pontiac 400
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Another thing to look at is tires. If they are original, check the tread wear, look for dryrot etc...

But the best thing i have found to use while looking at cars (and i have bought a few over the last 7 years...) is use you gut instincts. If something sounds to good to be true, it most likely is. My advise, be extra carefull and look at everything twice. Another thing is why is he selling it. May be worth finding out.

Just my 2 cents

Drove it like i stole it and had to buy another one.

------------------
89 RS Conv 305 700R4
85HO heads
Edelbrock intake
Holley 600
Hedman Hedders and Y pipe
Flowmaster
Old 01-26-2001, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
www.carfax.com

It costs, but it's cheaper than ending up with a POS. The Carfax report won't gaurantee it will find all problems. But, it might find something. I checked a car that looked great, but had a salvage title that had been 'cleaned'(the guy selling it had a good title).

------------------
82 camaro--original steering wheel, brake/gas pedals, seats--everything else modified
82camaro
Old 01-27-2001, 08:41 AM

Yes be cautious and check out the stuff that everone else here has said. But don't be afaid to go down and check it out. There are some good deals that are almost too good to be true that are really just good deals. Find out why he is selling it... maybe divorce, kid on way, moving forced him... which is why the low price. There is some other thing you can do to find out if its good. Bring it to a mechanic who will do an inspection sometimes the seller will do this for you and the mechanic will give a "this is not a lemon" certifacate. He might be able to tell you if he really thinks this is really a 32,000 mile car. I think also after like 88 all the f-bodys went from a 5 digit odeometer to a 6 digit odometer. So if it is trully 32,000 miles it will have a zero in front of it. Unless he has 1 million and 32,000 miles which I doubt. Or he has set it back. Another way to tell, If he is not the first owner, when you get a title from buying a car from someone they have to put the cars milage on it. Ask to see the title and see how many miles are on it at the last sale. It will help you decide if its true or not. If he was the first it will have like 0 miles which wont help. Also make sure the speedometer looks like it hasn't been disconnected a lot... the grip worn by many pliers turning it. Hard to tell sice there has been a tranny change. Well good luck!!!
Old 01-27-2001, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
Ask him what dealership he had the car serviced at, if any. Then take the VIN to the svc dept, they register the mileage on every service call. Also, not sure about Cali, but try and title search at the DMV.
What about the tires? It probably should have the factory rubber still on it with that low mileage. There are codes on the tires to tell you when they were made. Good luck.

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Edelbrock Hi-Flow Intake
SLP Dual Cold Air Intake
1 5/8" Headers
Semi-Siamesed Runners
MSD6AL/relocated MAT/ AdjFPR/IROC frnt@rear swaybar/wonderbar/steeringbox/alum drvshaft/ Alston SFC/3:23posi disc rear/MAC LCA/H.Adams Panhard Rod/KYB struts/ shocks/
92Z28convt5spd
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!
Old 01-27-2001, 04:45 PM

Car: 89 IROCZ28
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Gears
Actually they switched the gauges in 90. At least in the Camaros. When I bought my IROC a little over a year ago it only had 46,000 original miles and i am the second owner on it. The thing is beautiful. Interior is flawless, paint is still great and the engine runs like a bat outta hell. Good luck with your purchase.

------------------
1989 IROCZ28, 5.7 liter TPI, 700R-4, 2.77 Rear, Gutted Air Boxes, Flowmaster 80 series muffler with dual 3 1/2" tips, Clarion 8575 Head, Infintiy Kappa 4x6 plates, Stock 6x9's, Alumapro 10" Aluminum Sub in sealed box, Orion 400 watt amp
Old 01-28-2001, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

This is Simple, as you live in Cali.

When We go to get our Smog checks, They are required to record Milage.

Hit up Carfax, and buy the report On your car, it wilL list all the cars smog checks, and Milage reported at Those Checks. You can Do the Math from there )

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype