Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't start

For the record I know longer drive an 86 firebird. This problem attains to my 88 GTA 350 TPI.
My car is being a pain. I just got it to stop over heating and now it won't start. After I fixed it i went driving around and i was so occupied by teh temp gauge i didn't notice how low my fuel was. And before I knew it i was stranded on teh side of the road. So I filled the tank up,(yes I am sure it is gas) and then when I tried to start it it just cranked and cranked. I was thinking maybe the dirt and crap in my feul tank made its way in my feul lines and clogged them. If you think this is the case how would i go about fixing it. And if not this what else could it be.
Jason
Old 01-24-2001, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Well the only coolant for the fuel pump is... fuel. When you run a car dry the FP will often overheat and burn up.

Check for fuel pressure at the Schraeder valve on the fuel rail; listen hear the pump run for a couple of seconds when you turn on the key. If you don't hear it and/or there's no pressure, it's gas tank drop time.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports
Old 01-24-2001, 10:04 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts
And if the pump is still operating, that doesn't mean that the fuel filter survived all the sediment that was pumped into it. The fuel pump can actually pass some fairly large particles without failing, but the filter will (or is SUPPOSED to ) trap them all. The Schrader valve pressure test is the way to go. If you're lucky, the sediment didn't get to your regulator/injectors. (Cha-CHING $$$)

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"I'm gonna talk about some freaky sheet now..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
KaleCo Auto Parts