Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Now for the rest of the story.............

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now for the rest of the story.............

Guys,

It's come to my attention that my post on drag racing may have caused some alarm bells to go off when they shouldn't.

I mentioned a phenomenon that occurs with regularity in stick shift cars using slicks and a hard launch - that of the "brownout", or fuzziheadedness.

I'll amend that now: It has only happened to me in cars with no headrest on the seat. Apparently, if one's head is allowed to snap back (and under the circumstances, you cannot help it) quickly under hard acceleration, the phenomenon becomes pronounced.

That's what I get for driving 35-year-old cars. At least I put seat belts in it (no, they did not have lapbelts standard - it was an option that year).

So,unless you're a dinosaur-era wheel jockey with a penchant for 50's and 60's music, just go to your local dragstrip, follow the rules, and have fun. If you pilot an old stick-shift car with 400+ HP on slicks, and you've never launched it really hard.....everything I said still goes.

The first time down the track is almost as much fun as jungle-bonkin' your favorite hottie in a Cessna 172 during a negative 1G dive. (You gotta' be fast - REALLY fast).

So enjoy. I'll be penning a brief article on dragstrip etiquette and what to expect on your first time out. If you can't wait, pick up the January issue of CAR CRAFT magazine - it covers most of it.

BOR
Old 01-18-2001, 04:21 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOR i feel that way when i stand up and it gets really bad after i climb a flight of stairs. am i just old?

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
Old 01-18-2001, 06:57 PM

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: Yes
Transmission: That, too.
Ed, you're old.

But I can't really talk much because I'm catching up on you every year.
Old 01-18-2001, 08:09 PM

Ed I feel that way after i've been ridden hard by a special someone. Lack of blood to my head. Sometimes i even Get dizzy and disoriented... Damn she's good
Old 01-18-2001, 09:33 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Sheewt! I must be really old. My first aloft jungle-boinkin' was in the forward ****pit well of a Stearman. And I bet you thought a 172 was cramped. Aeronicas are really small, almost like Mooneys.

Note to future generations: Cold wind + Mr. Happy = "soft landing"....

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"I cannot take this any more... Saying everything I've said before..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
KaleCo Auto Parts
Old 01-18-2001, 11:07 PM

Ha Ha Ha, I love that website in your sig vader. KaleCo. That is the coolest thing ive seen this week. Everyone should check it out.
Old 01-18-2001, 11:21 PM

dag, ive been looking for parts for the longest time... and all of the sudden vader comes up with the site that has it all! wow, how luck am i to be able to order all this stuff at once
Old 01-19-2001, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by ede:
BOR i feel that way when i stand up and it gets really bad after i climb a flight of stairs. am i just old?

Ede,

Nah, you're not old........it's probably just a buzz from inhaling the standard shop odors...you know,

Kerosene, gasoline, ether, carb cleaner, brake and clutch material dust, and other really innocuous goodies.

Oh man.....I think I need to sit down.

Now, where was I ?

BOR

Old 01-19-2001, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Box of Rocks:

Kerosene, gasoline, ether, carb cleaner, brake and clutch material dust, and other really innocuous goodies.
so that's what was causing that buzz.....

and that was the rest of the story..