Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004 | 10:14 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 V8
Transmission: 700R4
Help!!!!

I have an '89 Camaro RS that is usually a very dependable car...I ran out of gas today, and after I filled her back up, I drove her about three miles, then when I was idling in a drive through and heard a knocking noise, then the car tried to accelerate by itself..kinda like the throttle was stuck. I checked the throttle, it isn't sticking...the knocking sounds like maybe a rocker arm, not a rod...I hope. Any suggestions?
Old 01-15-2004 | 05:15 PM
20 Year Member

Welcome Aboard!

Running the fuel tank dry can have several implications.

The electric fuel pump in the tank is cooled by the flow of liquid fuel. Operation without fuel can cause damage to the pump, both thermal damage to the motor and mechanical damage to the pump vanes.

Operaing with an empty tank can also cause particles in the tank that would normally be dispersed by the fuel to be drawn through the pump, damaging th epump and/or clogging the fuel filter. Even worse, particles that somehow make it through the filter can damage the pressure regulator and injectors.

Any of these conditions can cause low fuel pressure or poor fuel delivery. Those conditions can cause lean operation, which may create detonation (knocking) and even valve or piston damage if the engine continues to operate under very lean conditions.

The first step would be to test the fuel pressure. That will help you determine the health of the pump, filter, and regulator. From there, you can decide you next step in the diagnosis of your problem.
Old 01-21-2004 | 04:41 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird formula
Engine: 5.7L
water pump might be going also, how i checked mine when my engine was knocking or at least i thought it was, i took a screwdriver and pressed it on the water pump and put my ear up to the screwdriver and i heard the knocking, i changed it and the knocking went away
Old 01-22-2004 | 06:04 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 V8
Thanks guys
I changed a few rocker arms, and even more pushrods, they were in pretty bad shape.....it did the trick. My baby is back on the road, now if i could just figure out why she sticks in low gears....but thats another board. By the way, the trick with the screwdriver does work,thats how i figured out my alternator was going out.