Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Battery Keeps Dying.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Keeps Dying.

I'm Starting from step one.
I purchase car wit ha 4500cca bat in it...
My Alternator Dies, i Decide to get a 7500 cca and a new alternator Done. 2 months later i got to start my car (hasnt been driven in 12 hrs) go to start it .... nothing but CLICK CLICK CLICK so i come on the tech and people tell me my batt cables are prolly messed so i wiggle em around look around dont get any results... dome light barely lights up. I get it boosted by aaa this morning and the guy says that my computer drains the battery. I'm like ok i thought it was the starter.. he says let it sit 15 min and bat should charge a bit.. I dont listen and take it down to a local shop. Guy says ok we'll preform the AVR Electrical test for starting and charging circuits. It's the starter. But the guy says my batt is low so he charges it for me... He then says that the Bat needs to be replaced bah i drive it home park it in the GAY-rage and now it wont start. He mentioned something about a (please believe me when i say a VAUGLEY VERY VAUGLEY member this) Trickle Down Starter?!?!!? Something i plug into my wall then on to my battery to charge it?
So what gives here... Is it my Bat? Are third Gen Comps really that ****ty? someone please tell me if he's jacking me will buying a new bat fix it? (old is still under warranty)
Old 01-09-2001, 12:24 AM

CORRECTION I can start the car... but it takes more than a few tries.... The shop said i'd have only a few hrs left on the batt
Old 01-09-2001, 12:40 AM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T56
go to a mainstream auto parts store....kragen, autozone, etc....and have em test the alt. and batt. theyll do it for free. if either is bad then there you go...replace em under warranty. if not then....sheeet...do u have a stereo system?? that could be draining it. something is draining your battery....myabe somethin in the cig lighter...?? i dont know...goodl uck

------------------
Rick
90 Camaro RS 305 TBI
400 small block, Hooker 1 3/4 LTs, Random Tech Cat, Hooker aero chamber cat back on the way!!
TH700-R4 with Trans-Go shift kit (corvette servo here...but not installed yet)
MacEwen Motorsports White Gauge Overlays
14" K&N X-Stream Open Element
GTS Headlight and Taillight covers
5% Limo Tint all around
Classic White Chevy Bowtie sticker on rear window
http://www.geocities.com/esvalenz

Man if my camaro were a rice-rocket all those mods would give me what...easily 50-60 hp!!!

"Just because I've done it, doesn't mean I knew what I was doing!" - Me
Old 01-09-2001, 12:41 AM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T56
btw way...there arent 4500 and 7500 cca batterys....prolly 450 and 750.....i think our cars need something like 850cca or is it ca....sheet...ill check tommorrow at work...good luck

------------------
Rick
90 Camaro RS 305 TBI
400 small block, Hooker 1 3/4 LTs, Random Tech Cat, Hooker aero chamber cat back on the way!!
TH700-R4 with Trans-Go shift kit (corvette servo here...but not installed yet)
MacEwen Motorsports White Gauge Overlays
14" K&N X-Stream Open Element
GTS Headlight and Taillight covers
5% Limo Tint all around
Classic White Chevy Bowtie sticker on rear window
http://www.geocities.com/esvalenz

Man if my camaro were a rice-rocket all those mods would give me what...easily 50-60 hp!!!

Old 01-09-2001, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700R4

hehehe I like that

------------------
I have experience...unfortunatly,its a result of bad judgement.
click below to check out MY FORMULA PAGE!
http://www.formula350.com

or click below to email me
astralbaby11@hotmail.com
Old 01-09-2001, 01:17 AM

I took it to certiguard
(petrocanada's Stores)
Nothing in lighter
nothing in stereo

I am CONFUZZLED
Old 01-09-2001, 11:28 AM

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-09-2001, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Get a voltmeter with an Ammeter circuit. Disconnect the negative terminal(s) from the battery and hook these terminals up to the POSITIVE probe of the ammeter. Then, hook the NEGATIVE probe of the ammeter to the negative post on the battery.

The reading on the ammeter shold be VERY low, like .04-.08 ohms, to run clock, alarm, etc. If it is much higher than that, pull fuses out of your fuse (one at a time!) box until the ammeter shows a significant drop. When you pull a fuse and this happens (current draw drops), you have located the faulty circuit with a probable short in it. Have fun and find the probelm with that circuit.

If not found this way, probable short in your battery cables, or in your starter/soleniod.
Old 01-10-2001, 01:27 AM

Ok, so i go and buy a trickle charger from Canadian Tire... Charge the battery to about 80 percent... then go out (leaving the battery connected in the car no trickle charger on it) I come back and reconnect the Trickle charger it shows that the batter is down at 65-70%
It appears that the batter is not holding a charge... is this correct?
Old 01-10-2001, 01:28 AM

i wasnt missing for more than 3 1/2 hrs
Old 01-10-2001, 02:20 AM

I would do what FastBroker said but you are not measuring OHMs but AMPs. Check this out first and for the proper current (AMPs) FastBroker stated.
I would also check to make sure that the heavy cable that attached to the alternator is bolted tight to it.
I did have a problem with faulty alternators for a while. I had to replace mine 5 TIMES ! Thank GOD for life time warrenties ! Anyway I think my underdrive pullies had something to do with it but now I have a custom chip and all seems to work good now. No new alternators in 2 years .
Anyway the point is the alternator could be bad or the battery. I know in the USA, PEP BOYS does free testing on alternators if you bring it, the alternator, in. If you have a PEP BOYS in the "Great White North", Canada, you could take it there to have it tested. If not maybe there is another store you can take it to.

I know it is fustrating when you have new parts and it seems that the go bad again but it does happen.
Good Luck.

Old 01-10-2001, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a possible alternative -

(There is a separate thread on this in this forum with a subject like "Fuel Pump Won't Shut Off).

Last Friday morning, I went out to get in my car to go to work and could hear the fuel pump running. I guess it ran all night. It killed the battery and the car wouldn't start. According to others on this website, when the fuel pump relay goes bad, it can arbitrarily turn the fuel pump on and off.

Check the other thread in the forum if you this this is a possibility - as wacky as it may sound.
Old 01-12-2001, 01:19 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks, Ski, my bad. I meant amps, obviously, but thinking "ammeter" made me type ohms for some reason. Thx
Old 01-12-2001, 01:52 PM

No, i cant here it... heh i sat with it for 6 hrs while the bat was charging.. Sometimes i wonder if it's even worth it, i mean i'm always having trouble with it. But i guess that's sort of the bond that u build with your car... I'm really going to have to start doing my own work because i cant ***** afford it. Yet i know nothing, Chiltons manual is the best banual out there?
Old 01-12-2001, 01:53 PM

please excuse spelling mistakes above^^
I am hungover :|~