Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need all opinions about AutoXRay, preferably from GM Techs (ie GmTech) thanks >>>

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700-R4
Need all opinions about AutoXRay, preferably from GM Techs (ie GmTech) thanks >>>

I'm thinking of buying this for $169 to use in conjunction with my Helm manual for the 89 Iroc. Does anyone (GM Tech in particular) know what differences exist between autoxray and an actual GM scanner system? I'm not referring to the megabucks ones for scanning all parts of a car and/or newer cars. Just the plain jane one they would've used back in 89. What tests in the Helm manual will I NOT be able to perform with autoxray? Thanks a lot guys I just need to gather info before a fairly large purchase.

------------------
89 Iroc-Z LB9 TPI auto 2.73 posi:
3" Dynomax muffler, K&N filters, TB bypass, 3" pipe in place of cat, cleaned and flow-matched injectors, accel 300+ wires, cap&rotor, synthetic oil, flexlite transmission cooler, afpr, !air pump&diverter valve, kicker sound system, soon to attempt engine swap...

[This message has been edited by I ROCK (edited January 11, 2001).]
Old 01-11-2001, 06:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
The auto x-ray is good for reading data and recording a snapshot, and thats it. It lacks the bi-directional controls that you would get from GM's Tech1 or the Snap-On MT2500. For instance, I can command the IAC valve open or closed, command the EGR solenoid on/off, reset the fuel trim (block learn/integrator) and a host of other things.

But the auto x-ray is great when it comes to reading data. I owned one a long long time ago, and I hear they have really improved. I think that in conjunction with the Helms manual would be a good investment.

------------------
If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

ASE Master Tech + L1
Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
S/D TPI retrofit including functional PassKey, 22# injectors,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
TB Coolant Bypass, Custom Cold Air,
SSM SFC, KYB Shocks, Boxed LCAs, Wonder Bar,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
-->14.97 @ 94.9 MPH<--

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 01-11-2001, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'm not too worried about the commands...i'm trying to diagnose a no-start and I've seeminly run out of possibilities...I was thinking I could read values for the egr solenoid and iac to see if they are bad...thanks man!

------------------
3" Dynomax muffler, K&N filters, TB bypass, 3" pipe in place of cat, cleaned and flow-matched injectors, accel 300+ wires, cap&rotor, synthetic oil, flexlite transmission cooler, afpr, !air pump&diverter valve, kicker sound system, soon to attempt engine swap...
Old 01-11-2001, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
You don't need to "see" the values to tell if its the culprit or not. If you suspect the EGR solenoid, unplug the vacuum line. If you suspect the IAC valve, put your foot on the gas some and see if it will start.

------------------
If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

ASE Master Tech + L1
Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
S/D TPI retrofit including functional PassKey, 22# injectors,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
TB Coolant Bypass, Custom Cold Air,
SSM SFC, KYB Shocks, Boxed LCAs, Wonder Bar,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
-->14.97 @ 94.9 MPH<--

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 01-11-2001, 11:40 PM

It will run with a little throttle but will not under any circumstances stay running on its own at idle. I've replaced all the inexpensive sensors and ignition/fuel components...I'm stumped.

------------------
Old 01-11-2001, 11:47 PM
Mo

when my IAC was bad my car would not idle by itself in gear, it would in park or nuetral, but not in gear... but mine would start right back up no problem...someone told me it might be the torque converter, but it wasnt...did you try cleaning out the IAC?

------------------
90 IROC 5.7l (L98)
ram air, K&N's, air foil,Flows

LIKE A ROC
Old 01-12-2001, 12:02 AM

yeah the passage is totally clean but the IAC itself might be bad...I'm not sure. I'm just going to mess with it a little more until next fri.

------------------