Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I get shocked when I grab my distributor

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 Harley Nightrain
Engine: twin cam 88ci
Transmission: manual

89 TBI remote coil ignition
a year and a half ago I installed a new copper cap/rotor. Last winter I began having electrical probs such as a delay in my lights turning on, erratic wipers, and humming speakers. I let these probs go since it's got 223k miles. Last week I went to adjust my timing and my distributor zapped me. It seems like it does it whenever I grab the top of it, and it's got quite a bit of voltage. I replaced the cap/rotor and that made no difference, still shocks me. While I had the wires off I did a visual and they are old but are not cracked and seem to be in good condition. My assumption is that the random elec. probs. and me getting shocked is being caused by a wire searching for the nearest ground, but does anyone know where to look next?
Old 12-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
id replace all the wires. Sounds like theyre leaking if you hear it in the stereo as well.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:45 PM

yeah, I've already bought wires for it, I'm just lazy and I don't have time to cut and crimp them (I like to route them neatly). I'd like to be sure of whatever it is that's causing me to get shocked, because if it might be something else, I'd much rather use the new wires on something else. I'm aware that wires are to blame for the humming, summit did an article on it. But I've never been zapped when setting my timing before, and like I said, up at the cap the wires look to be in good shape. Just wondering if it might be something else, like a lead to the coil? I do have a braided fuel hose that touches the plastic side of the coil, thats how gm routes it though so that doesn't concern me.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89' IROCZ
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700r4
I have been shocked by touching old cheap plug wires while adjusting the timing. After putting on new thick wires from MSD it never happens.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Banned

well, id start off by not touching the wires....lol....then maybe replace the wires, boots on the wires are prolly dry rotted all to hell causing poor insulation.....while you are at it, now is a good time for plugs, dist cap, rotor, coil.......change the oil...ect ect
Old 12-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
Originally posted by CEP89
I have been shocked by touching old cheap plug wires while adjusting the timing. After putting on new thick wires from MSD it never happens.

i have a BRAND NEW full MSD ignition (box, coil, distributor wires) and i get shocked every now n then...you wont get shocked if u grab the distributor by the cap., not the top were the wires are..And remember those little shocks your getting arent very strong..kinda compared the the strength of scrubbing your feet on the carpet and then touching metal...The human body CANNOT take 40-50,000 volts (without some sort of damage)...
I got a zap from sticking a test light through the rubber terminal on top of the distributor to "kill" that cylinder and the entire spark voltage went into me...that literally knocked me on my @ss..
those little "shocks" are gonna happen...just try not to absorb an entire fully charged spark..thatll hurt, for a while i might add

if you are using a solid care wire then there is were your humming is coming from...get a good wire, NOT a solid supression
wire..

the ground your talking about is you..you are the closest easiest to travel through ground ESPECIALLY when your touching the distributor...try this and youll see what i mean...touch your tire when u grab the wires/distributor....when i have to touch my DIST. i try my damndest to grab it by the cap
Old 12-08-2003, 02:06 PM

I know it's using me as a ground when I touch the source, I was just trying to narrow it down to where it might be coming from before I go and change my wires if I don't need to. And the strength of the shock- it's significant, to say the least. I felt it on my hand and at my foot when it went through my shoe to the ground. And yes, my hand felt funny for a while after that. Kinda the same as when you pull the bare spark plug wire off an 8 horse rototiller when your dad thinks it would be funny to tell you to do it because you are only 10 years old and you don't know any better and.........
Old 12-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
OK, so don't do that. It hurts.

Next thing is, it shouldn't be doing that. You probably need a dist cap, and/or wires. The spark energy should be staying where it is put; namely inside the cap and inside the wires, not jumping out and grabbing your bad self. Something with insulation isn't insulating as well as it's supposed to be doing.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:53 PM

ok, so I gather the consensus is that spark plug wires (and coil to dist. wire) are the only ones that can pack a punch like that. I was just making sure. Since I just replaced the cap I guess all signs point to the spark plug wires. Oh well, I'll change them with my 8mm's hopefully this weekend and write a followup. Thanks
Old 12-08-2003, 09:15 PM

Car: 84 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: T-5
Mine does the same thing. I have a slightly older cap and new
Taylor wires so I suspect the cap in my case. It really hurts
with a hi-voltage coil !!
Old 12-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Banned

i know its hard to tell but...is the spark jumping trhough the plug boot , or the cap itself.....and...is it jumping from a certain area?? maybe one of your cap terminals is cooroded and it isnt making a good full contanct and seeking a place to jump to i.e. your HAND... lol

i still say just replace the cap and rotor.....its normal routine stuff anyways.....
Old 12-09-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Firebird Trans AM
Engine: 383 TPI...very soon
Transmission: TH700R4
Originally posted by 92RSFivePointSlow
I know it's using me as a ground when I touch the source, I was just trying to narrow it down to where it might be coming from before I go and change my wires if I don't need to. And the strength of the shock- it's significant, to say the least. I felt it on my hand and at my foot when it went through my shoe to the ground. And yes, my hand felt funny for a while after that. Kinda the same as when you pull the bare spark plug wire off an 8 horse rototiller when your dad thinks it would be funny to tell you to do it because you are only 10 years old and you don't know any better and.........
OMG first off my dad did the same exact thing to me, and it was a 8 horse rototiller too! I was about 8 tho... that smarted..

Well I'd say it's the plug wires, since it's the same with the new cap/rotor.