Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

:o( Totalled..... What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:o( Totalled..... What are my options?

Another casualty of highway stupidity. This is why i say Southern California drivers are the most incompetent in the world. Well I wrecked my '91 Firebird (V6) the other day. Some idiot slammed her brakes in the middle of the freeway, because she couldn't drive and talk on her cell at the same time. I was checking my blind spot because I couldn't stand following her 30 mph *** any further. Of course insurance finds me liable... Who will they believe?

a. The teenager in a red sports car
b. The middle-aged lady in a mini-van.

I'm waiting for the official word on the estimate. To see whether I should fix it or buy a new car. But my father told me to expect the worst.

If the car is considered totalled by insurance, what are my options? I did some heavy damage in the front driver's side area. The car still runs fine, if you ignore the fact that the fender is crammed into the suspension. So to sum it up, my left fender is gone, along with the hood, and the entire front bumper assembly. I don't know if there is any mechanical damage yet. And the battery seems to have cracked and leaked all over, because I had a clear water-texture liquid all over the ground and my car after the accident and it peeled off a bit of paint.

The car was originally in near mint condition before the accident. So what's the best way to get the most out of what's left of my car?

Here's what i can think of:

- Sell it on eBay as a parts car or restoration for $800-$1000

-If i restore it myself, i can prolly do it for about $2000 if mechanical damage is minimal.

What else?

BTW, with my insurance I'm considering buying a '91 Camaro RS w/ V8 and t-tops for $4500. The way the car took this crash was amazing. The front end was crushed, but the inside was still intact. I stepped out quite clean to say the least. Considering i hit the other car full on w/o hitting the brakes that's pretty damn good. The airbags didn't go off, but the bucket seats absorbed ALL the force which threw me forward. Never underestimate the safety of these cars.

[This message has been edited by mostafa3k (edited December 26, 2000).]
Old 12-26-2000, 07:26 PM
Banned

Been there before, know how you feel. Sorry to hear about the wreck.

Honestly your best bet would be to just part the car out. If you've ever wanted a V8, look at this as an oppurtunity.
D
on't make any estimates just yet. There could be a lot of structural damage undetected by an inexperienced eye. My friend last week hit a pot hole at 80mph in his 1LE. Not one scratch on his car. However, the whole suspension was pushed back 1" and he had to total the car. ($6000 damage!) I know that's a horror story but your Dad is right. Expect the worst.

Good luck bro

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6
Custom cold air intake w/K&N, SLP airfoil, ported plenum, TB coolant bypass,Crane AFPR (47psi),94 octane,Crane Extruded Alum. 1.6 full roller rockers, Timing set from 4*BTDC to 10*BTDC,MSD6AL, Holley 9mm Annihilator Laser shot 50 wires, Ac Delco cap,rotor and plugs, Bosch O2sensor, SLP 1 5/8 headers,SLP catback,3:73s,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.
Street legal with stock throttle body, runners,intake manifold,cam, and heads. Coming next..9# Procharger!
Old 12-26-2000, 07:33 PM

These people talking on cell phones while driving are a big problem. Here in N.Y. is aginst the law. Usually I see people drifting all over the road and driving under the speed limit while using cell phones. Dont sell yourself short just because your a teenager you have the same rights as that lady. You should maybe go to court and fight the insurance companies decision that it was totally your fault because the fact that see was on her phone while driving gives her some blame in this. She shouldnt get out of this that easy.
Old 12-26-2000, 08:15 PM

Well seeing as how you are in Cali...

If you dont want to get the blame for this accident, you will need a good lawyer. The law here states that the last driver in line in a rear-ender is the person at fault, no matter what the idiot in front did. They will probably send you a ticket for "Unsafe speed for conditions" in the mail.

As for the car, it sounds like its pretty messed up. Have a decent shop (not one day or maaco) take a look at it. If the strut tower caps up front are broken off where the spot welds are, then its not worth fixing. They also like to bend where the steering box or idler arm attach, and where the upper fender brace attaches to the filler panel where the air vents that go inside the car are, right at the base of the windshield. Take a look there and see how it is.
Old 12-26-2000, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Well, are you fully insured? If so, depending on your policy you may get something, this all depends on your policy. Next, how well do you know your insurance broker? If you know him/her well, have them go to bat for you. If not, when you lose via the claims adjuster you can fight the % decision through the state RMV. The fact that you saw her yakking on the cell phone may give you something, but not much, even appealed you may just get a 70/30 you being the 70. It will help that the crash was off center, but it still does not look good. How fast were you traveling? How close were you to her? You didn't even engage the brakes? That will kill you. If you were planning on changing lanes, you should not have been that close to her.

As to what to do, get another car. These cars do come back well from some accidents, but I wouldn't want to push any performance car after an accident, particularly one after suspention damage. I'd also look to your brake lines as well for that clear fluid that stripped some paint.

EDIT: You are going to get some points regardless.
------------------
"I don't want to be right - I just want to know if I'm right"
-Einstein

[This message has been edited by Red Devil (edited December 26, 2000).]
Old 12-26-2000, 08:27 PM

I feel cell-phone biggots should be castrated and fed to rabid dogs. This is becoming an increasing problem in my area... Here in Calgary Driving conditions are TERRIBLE... The worst are WOMEN in SUV's AND ON THE PHONE.. I've seen them driving over medians to get 2 cars ahead.. I've seen them driving over medians to get on the other side of the road.. That has to be the best one lady couldnt get over the median so she fogured she'd take a running start at it in the middle of the road SUV Cell phone drivers think they are invincible.... Anyways the lady Screwed her suspensi0n royally and the alignment of her left front wheel and came to a halt at the other side of the road... WTF is it with these people...

Whats the point of my story? There really isnt one i'm taking all of my locked up Teen angst and HAtred towards minivan/suv cell phone drivers on the board Thanks for putting up with me whining
Old 12-26-2000, 08:48 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your insurance co will ask you what happened if they've not already. if they feel it's her fault they'll fight it for you. if you got cited and feel it was wrong go to court and fight it. if you win will have a big impact on what your insurance does. if the car isn't paid for how the insurance handles it will become more involved.if you want to keep the car and it's totaled it will become more involved. best to talk to the insurance people and go from there.

is this post tech? if it isn't in the future please post all your non tech on macgyvers board www.nethirdgen.org

------------------
ICON Motorsports
1st & 3rd
Old 12-26-2000, 10:38 PM

I think its tech, since he wants to know if the car is still structurally sound... and I don't believe it would be.

I bought the '91 in my sig about 6 months ago and carfax showed it had gone through about 6 owners including an auction. I know the car's been in an accident (I mean, I bought it from a body shop guy). He said it got a shot in the front end but no other details... I can visibly SEE my front end vibrate and shake when I go over really rough streets. I don't think the damage was all that bad, but still, when you get your car back after its been fixed, it will never drive the same... You'll have to get a strut tower brace and sub-frame supports to make it feel remotely close to what it did before. Probably too much to work and hassle than its worth...

As far as the insurance goes, I really can't speculate but just say good luck and possibly get a lawyer.

------------------
"The world would have no problems if everyone had a presence of mind."
'91 Firebird
305/TBI(L03)/700R4/T-tops
Mods: Catco high flow cat - B&M Shift kit - TA tail light conversion - K&N - White faced guages on the way
Stereo: Pioneer DEH-P8200R - Pioneer 6x9's - Kenwood 8" Tube
'87 Firebird
LB8/700R4/220K - Twas a good car until the accident.
Firebird parts - Now with an '80 Firebird for sale!
Old 12-27-2000, 01:32 AM

"How fast were you traveling? How close were you to her? You didn't even engage the brakes? That will kill you. If you were planning on changing lanes, you should not have been that close to her."

I was goin' about 25 mph on the freeway. With an occasional near stop. But i had considerable distance for the speed, 30-40 ft, traffic is traffic. No brakes, i hardly had time to take my foot off the gas, checking a blind spot takes a good 1-2 seconds. Everyone knows about the fat 135 degree blind spot on firebirds. I was off the gas and waited for her to let off the brakes before checking my blind spot. Assuming no one would pull anything stupid i was doing everything quite safely. Unfortunately, you can only guard so much stupidity.

I'm fully covered by insurance. Car's worth $6200 + security system $350.

I think it's too late to fight with the insurance companies. But i think I'll go to the DMV and get that point off my record. How would i go about arguing the DMV? How long do i have to do something?

Back to my car, I've considered parting it out, but i don't want to have it sitting in my garage for too long. Any other ideas to consider?
Old 12-30-2000, 12:16 AM

Just in case anyone still cares. I finally got my estimate back today, it took about six days, it's not even complete yet.

Well the guy knew right away that it would be a high-priced job, so he put together an estimate that had aftermarket and used parts only. Just to repair the damage to the body of the car and anything else he could eyeball, ran up a little over $6000, not taking into consideration that the chassis is slightly bent and any mechanical damage which may have occurred.

So the car is totalled. My first car is dead after two years of service to me. I'm going by the shop tomorrow to take my things out of it as well as the license plate and wheel caps (maybe i can make a nice little key-chain or rear-view mirror ornament out of the firebird symbols for my next car). Sorry 'bout sounding so sentimental, but i worked really hard to pay for my car, while my parents bought or are buying my brothers' cars for them. I'm the middle child, that explains that.

Any suggestions about other stuff i can quickly snag off the car?
Old 12-30-2000, 02:33 AM

i HATE women drivers. the dont have a ****ing clue how to drive. i rear ended some guy in my camaro last winter because some bitch decide to stop at a green light, so the guy ahead of me had to stop, previos to all this i just did a sholder check becuse i changed lanes. man did i want to hit someone, i only hade the car 2 months. also i work at a gas stations, every ****ing time some god dam mini van ***** of a women comes in,her gas door is on the wrong side. the other man costomers always ask "is that a woman driveing" then we have a good chuckel. my piont herer is that women should not be alowed to drive

------------------
when the green flag drops the bull$hit stops

Curent: 350,performer RPM intake ,650dp, 700r4, headers, 3inch exhast
Spring 01: 406, Comp 282 solid cam, 2400 stall converter, every thing else the same.
Old 12-30-2000, 05:25 AM

Not to stray from the subject, but Im also from South Cali, and I thought they were the worst drivers in the world also... untill I got to Europe... but I wont get started on that.

------------------
91 Z28 305 tpi
plans for 383 or 502
flowmaster cat-back
Ram air to K&N cone
Old 12-30-2000, 08:37 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Don't mean to sound stereotypical or anything....but has anyone ever had to deal with Asain female drivers? I did when I lived in Japan.....patience span and temper went through the roof

------------------
92 Camaro RS LO3, 5-spd, T-tops
Mechanics:
Open Air Element w/K&N Filter, Flowmaster 3" Cat-back Exhaust, Z28 Grille w/aftmkt fog lamps
Electronics:
Alpine 8030 Alarm System, Valentine One Radar Detector (How did I ever drive without one?), Pioneer DEH 7450 Head Unit w/6-pack CD changer, Pioneer DEQ 7600 Sound Processor, 2 Kenwood KAC-90 Amps powering 2 12" Pro Red subs and 4 Infiniti speakers.
NEXT UP: SLP 1 3/4" Headers/Y-pipe, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch kit
Old 12-30-2000, 09:18 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Most,

Food for thought. Illinois law is such that an insurance company can deem your vehicle a total loss, and must pay you the full value for the total loss, but if the vehicle is nine years old or older, you are entitled to retain posession of the vehicle without surrendering the title. This means that if you were to repair it, it would retain the "Original" title status, not be labelled with a "Salvaged" title. This can be an important factor if you were to sell such a vehicle.

I'm not sure if Cali laws are similar, but you might want to have an understanding before you decide how to solve the problem.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 12-30-2000, 02:12 PM

LOL, I take it none of you guys have had to drive in San Jose. Worst drivers ever. Im not being stereotypical here either, but I drive in San Jose just about every day and let me tell you that 85% of the people driving there are asian....and about 75% of them couldnt tell you a green light from a red light.(I have plenty of asain friends who all agree) I got hit by some asian woman before because i was making a left turn and she was making a right turn with a yeild sign and said that "yeild sign no for me, you drive like crazy horse!!!"

But about the whole cell phone topic...cell phones is not the problem. I drive with a cell phone and i am smart about it, and only use it when i know i can be safe with it. The problem is idiotic soccer mom, suv *****, and all the other complete morons on the road who swerve all over the road, drive 30 mph on the freeway, stop 150 feet before the car in front of them, put their makeup on in the car, think they can reach down the passenger side to grab something and magically their car will stay straight, etc... The point is theres always dumb people...cell phones can make those people even more dangerous but are not the root of the problem.
However, GOLD, im gonna have to disagree with you on your comments....to say that all women dont know how to drive is a little harsh. True a lot dont, but a lot of men dont either. I understand your anger for some types of women (soccer mom suv ****'s, makeup applying stoplight creepers, 35 mph celine dion singing freeway crackheads) But to put down all woman is a little harsh, quite stereotypical, and a little ****ed up.
Old 12-30-2000, 04:51 PM

Actually, I've driven in San Jose quite a bit. My father would prolly agree with you 'cause he works there, and HATES the commute.

But from my experience, drivers there aren't as stupid as they are angry. But the Asian thing is a whole other story, i'd agree with you there.

I think drivers who are straight up stupid are far more dangerous than angry drivers. All in all, I like driving in the bay area than i do down in Santa Barbara. Except for the 20 mile stretches of bumber-bumper traffic.
Old 12-30-2000, 07:02 PM
Neo
TGO Supporter

If you think California drivers are bad, You should see them here (they all are moving here) in the snow.

------------------
Mike Kenny
Current: 1991 RS 305 TBI
Past: 1990 RS 305 TBI (A woman forgot what red lights are for)
Current: mostly stock - newer 305 w/ 12,000 on it
Eclipse speakers all around w/ 10" tube powered by a Alpine V12 in back
K&N filter w/XStream flow lid - It is sweet!!
Future: 2" Cowl hood
Old 12-30-2000, 07:49 PM

I'm in the exact same position as you. A middle aged woman in a family car turned in from of me (16 in a gray T-type sports car) and i slammed into her. I totaled my car. This was about 3 or 4 weeks ago and i still dont know what to do. all i can say is I DO NOT RECCOMEND ALLSTATE. they are complete *******s and are just shruggin off my accident and charging me alot of money for it. I dented her fender and they charged me $6000 for it. My point is I know the position you are in. Accidents suck.

------------------
www.thirdgenfbody.com - Leading the F-body into a 5th generation

85 IROC-Z
305 TPI
Bone Stock
Dead for the winter

"Their's nuthing like the sound of a small block chevy and a bass thumping sound system in the morning" - me

For those of you who do not know how to post pics, e-mail me your pics and your mb screen name and i'll post the pics on my site at www.thirdgenfbody.com/pics/yourname then post them on the message board for you - sharp85iroc@email.msn.com
Old 01-01-2001, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Ok, Europeans by far are the wost drivers. Greek, Italian and German drivers are the worst of the worst. Here I'd say NY then Boston. Various places in CA probably head #2-9.

Most, if insurance in your state is anything like MA, they have to dish out the cash, however they will most likely hit you with a number of points (here it is 4 points for a 'serious' accident). You should however be able to dispute that through your state RMV, most cases brought before them are usually granted due to the fact that most people don't even try to go through the gauntlet.

85I* Please tell me she was taking a left and you tagged her in the front fender. If so, I'd fight that with everything I got. Heck, I'll even write you a letter to send the bloody insurance company.

Vader, they do that here in MA too, however the insurance co. can offset the damages payment by the amount they think it is worth, usually about 5X what it really is, so you never really get the cahnce to get it! ******! Maybe I should put their insurance carriers on notice. Heaven fobid I have a corinary opening up one of their overinflated bills.

------------------
"I don't want to be right - I just want to know if I'm right"
-Einstein
Old 01-01-2001, 07:30 PM

Thank for all your help,

But how would i go about disputing it w/ the state RMV? I've been in accidents before, but never like this.

And what kind of resources would it take? A lawyer? Or just a bit of time and good arguing?
Old 01-02-2001, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
$6K?! Damn, I totalled my car worse than you did yours, and fixed it myself for $1300. That's $250 for a parts Firebird, $900 for a frame/windsheild swap, and $150 for misc (hoses, fluids, belts, junkyard parts, etc).

I did my own bodywork (I suppose under $500) and had the car shot at Maaco. Sounds like you can fix yours yourself for much less..

The car's very structurally sound, too; no shakes/wobbles/shimmies/etc. The welding shop did a damn good job! You might want to check out the damage yourself a little closer... pry the fender up & off; see what's underneath.

Oh and you could always have your lawyer subpeona the lady's cell phone bill; her call would surely be on the bill at the time of the accident.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!