Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

VSS Unknown

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: ...No Clue...
VSS Unknown

Hey all you car gods, i'm pretty sure from what i've seenf rom you guys that you have been able to solve most of my problems. so i got a new one, it seems that the minute one is done somethign else happens

problem:
i pulla code 24 (vss) and when i pulled the speedometer to replace it, it turns out that its a digital not a cable drivin, and so i look a round a bit and try to find it on the boards, i read a post saying its on the tranny case with an example picture, put the car up, can't find anything like it however i did find 2 sensors on hte tranny case one in the larger gear section about 4 inches fromt he conenction wit the motor and another about 2 inches towards the front of the shifter link. Now im not sure what to do about that sensor.
But lately i dont' know if this is related, my idle has been upwards of 1400 to 1500 on start adn i started gettin my SES light ti goes away after about 5 minutes, this used to happen before i worked on the car then it stopped suddenly don't know why. now its back, and once the car is good and hot the idle will fluctuate from 350 to about 600 ALOT like it'll come close to dieing then come back, even rarely it will die completely.... any ideas? But as for the VSS the speedo looks like its perfect usually but the shift light is random now.

CAR:
open element
4* base timing advance
160* stat
L03 TBI 5.0L (305)
and my good old 5 speed.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 239 Likes on 194 Posts
XRS,

First, I'm not that sure of the VSS on a T-5, so please excuse me if I'm wrong. However, if I am correct, your VSS is located on the left (drivers') side of the transmission, in the tailshaft extension housing on a T5 . There should be a three-wire connector plugged onto the VSS, with one pink/black, one black/white, and on brown wire. You may not have the brown wire if the car doesn't have cruise control.

There is the second matter kof the idle speed not remaining stable. That is almost always a problem with the IAC not reacting to the ECM signals becauses of dirt, poor RPM data feedback to the ECM from the distributor, or a TPS sensor that is unstable. The easiest thing to do is to clean the IAC, throttle body, and IAC air passages. Remove the IAc and disassemble it to clean it. Set the throttle minimum air position and TPS voltage after reinstalling the IAC. That may solve most if not all the idle "hunting" problems.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
Vader, here's one for your files...

Pete
Attached Thumbnails VSS Unknown-t5_trans_d.jpg  
Old 12-10-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 (350) TPI
Transmission: soon to be 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt rear. gears? hell if i know
sorry to bring this back up from the dead, but who or where would i go to, to get that connector that plugs in what you circled? I need the connector or I do not believe i can get my RPM's or my MPH
thanks