Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

strange bump while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange bump while driving

the other night i was coming home from work and merging onto the expressway and saw an accident that had happened up in front of me. i got on the brakes immediately and locked the wheels pretty good (just put new brake pads on the night before and wasn't quite used to them yet). i slid for a bit but was lucky enough to keep it under control and avoid any other cars.

as i was driving away i noticed a slight "bump" in the right front. felt and sounded exactly like a flat. i immideately figured i must have blown the tire, but when i got home it read about 32 psi. this really shocked me because as i was checking the pressure i also heard a hissing sound.

next morning i got up and the tire read about 34 psi (cold morning). so i jumped in and cruised around the block to see if the bump was still around. just as strong as the night before it was still there. i inspected the tire as well as i could while still on the car and can't see anything wrong with it. i'm puzzled!!! is there a chance i could have just worn a flat spot in the tire? i really can't figure this out out. anyone have any ideas or things i should start checking out???
Old 12-20-2000, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be enclined to suggest that you have a flat spot and/or a belt broke inside the tire. I have experienced my car vibrating at speeds over 50mph and it was a tire