Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I need help with this steering whell quick.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help with this steering whell quick.........

Ok everyone, I NEED to have this done by this weekend otherwise the bank will repo my car so hopefully somebody can help me. The lock cylinder on my car went out a while ago and I can't figure out how to get to it to replace it. I know that I have to take the steering wheel off, which I've already done no problem. Then There's the lock plate that I have to compress and all that fun stuff. But, right inbetween the two of them is a pad that the steering wheel bolted into, NOTE: This is an aftermarket Grant GT steering wheel if it makes a difference. The piece is on top of the lock plate and has three holes that the bolts go into. These holes go around the main steering shaft and the steering wheel then bolts onto it. How do I go about getting this piece off? I tried using a steering wheel puller, but it doesn't fit right......I don't think that it moves with the lock plate when I try to compress it. I really need to get this off so that I can access the lock plate and finish this before this weekend. Anybody please!

------------------
89 Camaro RS 2.8 V6 auto
Exterior: White Interior: Black
T-tops, power-windows, locks, hatch.
Pioneer head unit and 4 way 6x9s.
Old 12-14-2000, 06:16 PM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
AcSeb,

Do you still have the instructions from the Grant wheel? (I always save and file stuff like that.)

If not, let me know. I have a Grant instruction book I can scan and post for you.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 12-14-2000, 07:39 PM

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. I too have a Grant after market steering wheel. These steering wheels need an adapter which is what is giving you problems now. It is secured by a bolt (about 19mm) on a conical shaft with splines, so once tightned, it'll be sort of like trying to remove a ball joint mount, which is also a conical shaft mounted in the same type hole.

While in Guatemala, I've seen mechanics just use a hammer to pound the center shaft while pulling the steering wheel, and off it came. I would never recommend this way except in an emergency as you'll probably ruin the threads at the end of the shaft at a minimum. The correct way to remove it is with a puller (see below).

I use my harmonic balancer puller. Grant also sells their puller to remove this adapter, which is just a piece of thick metal with three holes to attach screws to the adapter, plus a center hole for the bolt to pull the assembly out. It'll cost ~$8 if memory serves, but for another $10 you could get a harmonic balancer puller that'll be much more durable and can do more than just pull this adapter out.

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited December 14, 2000).]
Old 12-14-2000, 10:05 PM

No Vader I don't have the directions because I bought the car with the wheel on it already. (It's the MeanYellowZ by the way) I bet that is the piece that you're talking about Stuart, I saw the harmonic balancer puller in the store and figured that it would do the trick better than the steering wheel puller, but I really wasn't sure so I just got the steering wheel puller. Hopefully that puller will work otherwise I'm really screwed. Vader, if the directions you have say anything about getting this piece off could you send them to me please? Thanks a lot guys.

------------------
89 Camaro RS 2.8 V6 auto
Pioneer head unit and 4 way 6x9s.

[This message has been edited by AcSeb (edited December 14, 2000).]
Old 12-14-2000, 10:24 PM

Stu,

Did you want that in French or English?

(Check your mail)

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 12-14-2000, 10:27 PM

Um.........did I miss something here or did you send it to the wrong guy?

------------------
**FOR SALE***89 Camaro RS 2.8 V6 auto

Also, the new owner of the MeanYellowZ
Old 12-14-2000, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by AcSeb:
Um.........did I miss something here or did you send it to the wrong guy?
AcSeb,

I apologize - I KNOW I need some sleep, now.

On the way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stu,

Umm, Uhh, you've got mail! (And lots of it)

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0