Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

steps for changing a thermostat.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steps for changing a thermostat.

My car has been running really cold for a while. And I think the thermostat is stuck open. What is the proper way to change it. A step by step instruction would be nice

------------------
yellow 86 Camaro LG4
Pioneer head unit
Kenwood speakers
Infinity Beta Digital 300 amp
2 Infinity Perfect 12s
Old 12-11-2000, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

Unbolt the Neck from the Intake, Replace the Thermostat, and Bolt it back on ?

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Z28 LG4 - Daily Driver
**Mods**
MSD Superconductors
14" Open Element
KYB all around
Old 12-11-2000, 10:50 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
1. drain the coolant level lower than the thermostat (I prefer to use long clear tubing to let it siphon from the radiator into a bucket on the ground instead of using the 'clever' location of the radiator pet****)

2. remove the air cleaner & anything else obstructing the thermostat housing making note of where you what off from.

3. remove the upper radiator hose from the themo housing (and radiator if you want) and move it out of the way

4. unplug sensors (if any) from the thermo housing and unbolt it.

5. remove thermo housing and old thermostat

6. stuff clean rag in opening and scrap old gasket off the intake and clean gasket of thermo housing too.

7. use a shop vac to clean away any gasket material and remove the rag

8. place new thermostat in the opening (spring side down) coat gasket surface with RTV silicone and place gasket on, coat top side of gasket with RTV & bolt together

9. let it sit to dry for a bit (if you wish) and refill radiator. run the car with the radiator cap off topping off coolant level and relpace the cap. drive the car to temp let sit to cool and recheck radiator level,, top off as needed and fill overflow to proper lever.

taa daa

That is how I've always done it, since watching my friend work at a radiator shop, anyways. Anyone feel free to correct or add to this. hope that sheds a little light anyways

------------------
Da Boid

- 4 out of 5 people think the 5th is an idiot
Old 12-11-2000, 10:51 PM

It's very simple actually.

First just drain the coolant, you don't have to drain it all the way out but enough so that it won't leak when you take off the water jacket. Sorry I can't tell you exactly how much that is.

Second just disconnect the upper radiator hose from the intake manifold.

Undo the two bolts that are holding the water jacket on the intake manifold and take it off.

You'll be looking at the thermostat now, just simply lift it out and put the new one in it's place.

Replace the water jacket on the intake manifold making sure to use a new gasket to prevent leaks.

Put the two bolts back in and snug them down good, I don't know what the torque spec is for it but it shouldn't matter as long as you make sure they're on good.

Reconnect the radiator hose and replace the drained coolant.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask,

Jason
Old 12-11-2000, 10:55 PM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T56
i think that was a fantastic explanation....only i wouldnt use RTV...they have a special sealant at parts stores by permatex called "Water Outlet and Thermostat Sealer" LOL....dont anymore specific then that. anyways.....my first time doing it the guy gave me #1 gasket sealer and it works fine for me. just like im sure RTV works fine for Birdy boyup there ^. good luck

------------------
Rick
90 Camaro RS 305 TBI
400 small block, Hooker 1 5/8 shorties, Random Tech Cat, Hooker aero chamber cat back on the way!!
TH700-R4 with Trans-Go shift kit (corvette servo on the way)
MacEwen Motorsports White Gauge Overlays
14" K&N X-Stream Open Element
GTS Headlight and Taillight covers
5% Limo Tint all around
Classic White Chevy Bowtie sticker on rear window
http://www.geocities.com/esvalenz

Man if my camaro were a rice-rocket all those mods would give me what...easily 50-60 hp!!!