Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help me get rid of this Knock! Please! Cash Reward!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me get rid of this Knock! Please! Cash Reward!

Ok, here is the problem. I have a 90 Camaro RS with a 305 TBI. I am getting a hesitation/bog problem any time I try to accelerate more than 1/4 throttle. I hooked my car up to tech 1 and noticed that sometimes when I reved the engine it would detect a knock. Sometimes under heavy loads I can feel a little knock. On a sidenote I get a EGR code about once a week. I have replaced the valve. And I only get the code when I am cruising about 60. The light stays on for about 5 mins then goes off. Could this be causing my hesistation problem? The hesitation problem is constitent. I am running 92 octance. Could it be a timing issue, fuel pressure issue? Should I try some top engine cleaner? Thanks Brandon
Old 12-07-2000, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700-R4
Did you check the tps? Other than that I have no idea but if it is the tps how much $$$ are we talking here??

------------------
89 Iroc-Z LB9 305 TPI auto 2.73 posi:
3" Dynomax "cat" back,K&N filters, TB bypass, 3" pipe in place of cat, cleaned and flow-matched injectors, 170' thermo, mild ignition mods, synthetic oil, kicker sound system, soon to have 3.73 posi...
Old 12-08-2000, 03:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a couple of other things you ought to check that might still be causing your EGR to trigger your check engine light. Check the vacuum hose running to it and make sure it's not broken or leaking anywhere. I forgot to hook the vacuum line back up on mine once, and it would trigger the light on the freeway. The other thing that can go bad is not the valve itself, but the electric solenoid that works in conjunction with the valve. It controls when your EGR is on, and when it's off. As far as that knock goes, if your ignition system is in good order, and your timing is set right, I'd have to say it has to be a mechanical part somewhere on the engine causing a knock(i.e. bad wrist pin, loose torque convertor bolt, bad engine accessory, etc.). Good luck. Hope this helps you some.

------------------
89RS w/350 TPI; 69RS/SS w/450 HP 350/Muncie 4-Speed "Too weird to live, too rare to die."
Old 12-08-2000, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700R4
I had the same problem with my 305 tbi. i have the same year. just for kicks, as it made my hesitation and stumble better ( i was getting codes 43 & 32-knock sensor and egr) swap your computer with a known good one then drive and see how your drivability is. let me know.. also since swapping, i got no codes, and my accelerastion is better. now all i have to do is change injectors and i will be good to go

------------------
I have experience...unfortunatly,its a result of bad judgement.
click below to check out MY FORMULA PAGE!
http://www.formula350.com

or click below to email me
astralbaby11@hotmail.com