Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

"305: The engine that keep taking the ABUSE!" or "I am an idiot!"

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2000, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4 Jr. Raptor
"305: The engine that keep taking the ABUSE!" or "I am an idiot!"

I have to say, the chevy 305 TPI engine can really take some abuse!

When i first got my car (1986 IROC 305 tpi), it ran hot. really hot. (at the time, i didn't know anything about cars). Well, i
noticed the temperature was always in the "red" while i drove it. That and i always floored it EVERY TIME i drove.

Well, I kept popping the hood when i got home, and watched hot boiling coolant pour out of the reserve tank, and began my daily
search for the reserve tank cap (it popped off from the heat all the time, it was always somewhere under the hood, hidden, but still
there).

Well, i finally notice a huge crack in the radiator. ahh! so i had someone install a new radiator. whee! started to run cooler. But
still, sometimes it ran into the red on the gauge. Well, i had it checked out again. looks like the thermostat would only open
sometimes, and the fan wouldn't engage.

all right! new thermostat. should solve the problem! lets go for a 160 degree while im at it. So its installed, and the same
problem exists. Ahh, screw it. I lived in hawaii at the time, so i had my fan wired to always be on when the car was on. problem
solved.

So, still not knowing much about cars (you guys will eat this up, i have to re-tell this story, because i was such a dumbass!). I kept
checking my oil all the time. Just because i wished i knew more about cars, (because for the first time in my life, i had an interest in
them. Well, not "cars" so much as Camaros that is!) So one day, i check my oil and i notice its a quart low! "all right!" i think,
"now we are talking, im getting my hands dirty, and i'm taking good care of my car!"

So off i went to the local auto parts store, where i bought a quart of oil. Poured it right in, and went to check the dipstick again.
Hmm. still a quart low! How odd! "Maybe it has to drain into the oil pan" i thought. So i waited 5 mins. and checked it again.
Still a quart low! i double checked it and wiped it three times. the oil line was at the little hash marks, that i knew meant, "add a
quart".

Hmm. "Well, it must take a lot of oil!" i said, being the total idiot i am. haha. so i go back to the store, and buy 3 more quarts of
oil. (man this makes me chuckle as i type it out). and with a determined look on my face, i pour all three quarts into my car. I
check the dipstick, and... "ok, still a quart low? wait a second, it hasn't moved at ALL! that doesn't make sense!, im pouring the
oil where the oil cap is..."

"Wait a second, what the hell is this OTHER DIPSTICK!!!!!"

hehe Being the genius i am, i added 4 quarts of oil, on top of the full 5 quarts my engine normally holds. i checked the "new"
dipstick. Woah! that's quite a bit over the "full" mark.

What was i checking? My Auto tranny fluid, it was a little bit low. I had been checking the wrong dipstick! ( i didn't know i had
two!)

Well, i had some driving to do. so i drove it hard and fast across the island (in case i didn't mention it, i lived in Hilo, Hawaii) to
do some volunteer work at a elementary school ( I helped out the computer lab, and serviced the various computers around the
classrooms. Luckily for them i knew more about computers than cars! haha).

So i drove home, and fortunately, had the smarts to know, that driving around with almost twice as much oil as i "needed" wasn't
good for the engine. I called a friend of mine to come show me how to change the oil on my car (yes yes, i really didn't know
anything about cars!). and told him the story.

After he wiped the tears from his eyes, and i had shrunk down to the size of an ant, he showed me. we drained the oil out into
the pan, and of course, the pan overflowed because it was meant ot only hold 6 quarts. This brought more tears of laughter from
my friend.

Well, so i had a filter change, and (more) new oil. the correct amount this time! Oh, and my friend showed me how to add ATF
to my car too. so it was level too.

Ahh! now i could REALLY let loose. i floored it just to get to the speed limit. I mean mashed the pedal to the floor,
heads-turning acceleration, up to the speed limit normally. So i would blast it into the red for the RPMs to get up to speed.

Well, I don't know if the rpm gauge was broken, or what, because the needle would climb more and more, past the red, up to
7,000, and then stop, while the engine would still rev faster and faster. finally, it would shift. ahh, not much top end power, i
always thought.

Well, after taking this abuse for around 8 months, i moved myself, and my IROC to Dallas, Texas. I was planning on moving to
denver, and it ended up being cheaper for me to drive from Dallas, to denver, then to have the car shipped to denver itself.

Well, jumping ahead, i started driving a little less psycho. My car still saw lots of high redlines, but didn't do it every time i drove.

Hmm. Finally, when i did infrequently floor it, i noticed, the car would still go past 7,000 RPMs, and keep pulling. i would feel
less and less pull, and finally, the engine would rev over 7,000, and i would actually feel like a negative pull on the car! like it was
slowing down! then it would do this for 2-3 seconds (long time) and then wham into second, and i would blast ahead again.

I ended up meeting a person in denver, who owned a 3rd gen firebird, and he was familiar with tpi engines. i told him about this
problem with my shifts, and he popped the hood.

It appeared that somebody had put some kind of spacer on my TV cable, which made it stay in gear longer. We cut them off. all
of a sudden, my car, when floored, would shift at around 6,500-6,800. much better.

to break it all down, my car has seen lots of hard use, and its engine is still pulling all right. It has its problems, but the engine
hasn't blown up or anything. I give a lot of credit to it, now knowing how poorly i treated it when i first got it!

How fast can a 305 TPI rev? like i said, my rpm gauge might be broken, but i've seen it always go past the 7K mark, and keep
revving for a while.

And as for the coolant overflowing, and boiling out of the reserve tank... ouch. you know that's not good. i've gotten it up to at
least 280+ degrees many times when i first had it.

Engine still works.

Pretty scary. I treat my baby a lot better now, and plan on doing an engine swap to a 350 ZZ4, but really, After this story, i
really appreciate the little 205 i have in there now!! maybe i should just skip the 350, and get a built 305! hahaha or hey, even
rebuild the one i have. its been an awesome engine. It put up with my moronic driving for so long.

Well, that was my "im an idiot" horror story with my car. i thought i would share it with all of you. Hopefully someone out there
can relate to me. If anything, hopefully i brought a smile to someone's face. I know a bit more about cars now, but as far as
hands on experience, i'm still a baby.

At least now, i know what things i can fix myself, and am smart enough to take my car to a shop when things get a little tough.

Anyone else have a horror story about their engine? or how they treated it?

Old 11-11-2000, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You probably won't get many replies since most guys have 350s! But anyways, Ive got a 305 TPI with 208k miles and the engine and transmission are performing great. Oil pressure, acceleration, everything is good. I change the oil every 3k miles, however I usually floor it every chance I get. I mean, I floor it like ALL THE TIME IM DRIVING IT! I usualy dont rev past 4500 though. Also I ran my car for like a week with 2 quarts of oil and then I realized what that knocking sound was and I quickly checked the oil and added some!! It has also overheated 3 times but the last time I just parked it and got it towed home because I didnt want to hurt the engine.

On the other hand, my brothers 305 TPI died at 110k miles. Go figure. It was a manual shift and I think the previous owver really beat the crap out of it (overrevving, etc).

I dont really think my engine will ever die!! (knock on wood)

Robert
Old 11-11-2000, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: Minirammed 385, 396 RWHP
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12-bolt
"Im an Idiot" part 1: Doing my own B&M Transmission shift improver kit; September 1985.

The car's on jackstands; and I am trying to figure out how to remove the transmission oil pan. Hmm... No drain hole. Okay, I better be careful with this one... I'll position myself under the tranny so that I can get lots of leverage to slowly tip the pan into the bucket. GEEZ! This transmission is HOT! Maybe I better wait a few minutes. No, I want this DONE TONIGHT! Okay, remove these bolts here, remove those bolts there, Hmm.. Still not cracking open. Remove some more bolts, and Hmm... Still not cracking open! Take off the last couple of bolts... Hmm... Maybe the pan is stuck to the gasket.... Let's try prying carefully with the screwdriv...

Sploooosh! GAAAAAAHHH!!!!! there's a dry silouhette of my head on the pavement, surrounded by five quarts of hot, old, ATF, and my dad is crossing his legs trying not to pee as he laughs harder than I've ever heard him laugh before...

------------------
Daniel Burk
http://www.isthq.com/~dan/fcar.html
'84 Trans Am WS6/L69
KB SFC, Moser axles, Torsen Diff. PST suspension, Braided stainless brake lines, Koni struts, 11-inch rear disks,Spohn Adj. torque arm,
Ported 305 heads w/1.94"intake valves, Comp Cams XE262H, Griffen alum. radiator,
Turbine Technologies 2500 stall converter, underdrive pulleys, Crane Hi-6 & more.
1.05g skidpad verified.
New best E/T! 14.039 at 100.82 MPH in 41 degree air at Stanton, Michigan.
Old 11-11-2000, 09:54 PM

That was a GREAT storY! I was launghing my *** off cause I've done stuff like that too! My 305 is gonna hit 150,000 miles soon and still running VERY "strong". You should share your story with more boards! Everyones needs to hear it!
Old 11-12-2000, 12:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
305s do withstand an outstanding amount of abuse,when I first got my '84 TA with a 305 G-code engine it saw nothing but redline on a nightly ritual of road racing.Now I'm just happy that it runs,however it still growls and kicks that unexpected chirp once and awhile
Old 11-12-2000, 02:52 AM

since we all have or had 305's i think its fair to share my little story. i bought my camaro cpe (pos) for 900 bux. she had a 155k miles and the best 8 color rusted out paint job ive ever seen. in fact this car was so ugly i was voted "worst looking car" in high school, i let my friends pee on it, we threw hamburgers and balonga on it. (now that i think about it, this car has been dam funny) i let the engine go for about 25k more miles before i got bored one summer and put a 350 in it. bottom line:305s will run forever!!!!

daniel
Old 11-12-2000, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rob90TA:
[B]You probably won't get many replies since most guys have 350s! But anyways, Ive got a 305 TPI with 208k
I'd bet you'd get more replies then you think. Pleny of 305's on this board. I own a 305, a 350 and a 402Big Block. Glad your engine is holding up. A 305 is pretty much bullet proof. Small bore, small stroke, small piston size. Kinda like the old 307, not much potential but pretty strong. Oh, my 305 has run 14.21 @ 96mph. Thats 92 Z28
3:08 rear, Eagle GA tires.
Good luck, you'll need it.

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI
92Z28convt5spd
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!
Old 11-12-2000, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 355 (fastburn heads, LT4 HOT cam)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt, 3.27
My 305 has almost 198,000 on it (Give me another week to get it there) and the most major thing that's been done to it is valve seals about 30,00 miles ago (ready for it again)

I run it pretty damn hard, too. I wrecked the car once, and the radiator was pushed back and blocked the bottom hose off. I drove it home pretty hard (90 MPH) for about 12 miles. It was really hot! Temp. gauge was pegged when I got home. Went out the next day, and it still ran fine. After a little pulling against a tree, found the radiator twisted, but it didn't leak!

Anyway, I now have the body back together, and it is still running great. In fact, I just changed the original u-joints a couple days ago!

Well, I'll quit ramblin on now!

------------------
Working on:
'84 Z28 LG4 305
Added dual elec fans.
145 MPH IROC Speedo
Building 430 HP 350
using primarily GMPP parts.
Block is in shop!

Awaiting results from all 8 ASE tests.

Starting to look like the Kicker poster child!
Old 11-13-2000, 11:25 AM

Stupidest thing I ever did in my whole (car)life was use a rubber mallet to help get a shift **** on my shifter. Hmm..why is my car leaking oil now? It makes me happy that other people do retarded things. I bet the dumbest thing Vader ever did was set the clock 1 minute too fast or something

------------------
-Red '88 IROC 5 Speed 305 TPI w/3.08
-Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch
-Accel 300+ Racing Ignition
-Accel 300+ Pro Sleeve Plug Wires
-Accel U-Grove Plugs
-Flowmaster Force II 3 Chamber Cat Back Exhaust
-Hypertech Chip
-Hypertech Airfoil
-Removed, Then Re-installed (out of fear) MAF Screens
-Gutted Air Box
-Best E/T 14.90, 60 ft. 2.17, 1/8th mile 9.61(bald tires, Code's 34,36)
-Best MPH 92.7(bald tires)
Old 11-13-2000, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I previously had a 79 Firebird with a 305, and I went head on with another guy at 45 mph each. THe car was totalled, the Bellhouseing cracked in Half. the motor sat in this car since march 18th with No intake On, getting rained on and rotting out.

Yesterday, we Pulled it, Cleaned it Up a bit and Dropped it In My friend vette while he rebuilds his motor.

It works, and makes more power than the motor he Pulled out

Also, My z28's LG4 has 147,000 On it, and It will still smoke em through 2nd.

------------------
85 Z28 - Daily Driver
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
Old 11-13-2000, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
I remember my first oil change... as I'm spinning the filter off, my dad's telling me "now be careful, the filter might get slippery, make sure you don't drop the filter into the " -SPLASH- "pan." I dropped the filter in the pan and covered myself with oil.. he laughed his *** off.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 11-28-2000, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2016 Ram 1500
Engine: 3.0L Diesel
Transmission: 8sp
this has got to be the best topic Ive read ever.!
this should be the first one to come up regardless of which category you open.

my 305 is also of the abused kind,.
but im surprised to see no one else commenting on my old favorite type of abuse(stopped when 1-2 stopped chirping)
I used to do the longest burnouts for my friends, my parents, strangers, to intimidate, when i was bored, to scare small children, to tell girlfriends your pissed off, ect.ect.ect.
still runs great though, although i must say keeping the oil changed will keep most engines alive awile.
this is not to say that 305s do better burnouts than 350s, they dont
its just that you CAN buy a junker 3rd gen and usually find that it has a trusty old 305 that will smoke the tires to your hearts delight
keep the stories coming
james

------------------
88 T/A 305 TPI--
K&N,Air foil,hypertech chip, thermostat+fanswitch
no MAF screens, no cat, dynomax exh, urethane motor+trans mounts,
SSM frame con, Bilsteins
homemade ramair.
Old 11-28-2000, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 355 (fastburn heads, LT4 HOT cam)
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt, 3.27
An update one my story, mileage is gonna hit 199,000 on the way home the next day I drive it (probably tomorrow). I'm gonna get some pictures at 200,000 of it rolling over! I took it on a 250 mile road trip last week, and ran about 80 most of the way without a whimper!

I just bumped the timing up to about 10* a few days ago, and now it does the good ol' 1-2 chirp sometimes!

Not bad for a stock LG4!

------------------
Working on:
'84 Z28 LG4 305
Added dual elec fans.
145 MPH IROC Speedo
Building 430 HP 350
using primarily GMPP parts.
Block is in shop!

Awaiting results from all 8 ASE tests.

Starting to look like the Kicker poster child!
Old 11-29-2000, 12:17 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by Yarnboy:
...I bet the dumbest thing Vader ever did was set the clock 1 minute too fast or something...
The beginning of my "idiot/DOH!" list would probably take more space than this server could handle. I've had molten metal embedded in my safety glasses from mistakes. I've saved that pair of glasses as a reminder of why I can still see.

The best thing I'm seeing here is that we all have made mistakes, snd will hopefully continue to do so. If you make a mistake and learn from it, it isn't a wasted effort. If you can't admit to yourself that you've made a mistake, you'll never learn.

But I'm still laughing at the "transmission oil silouette on the pavement in the shape of a head" line...

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 11-30-2000, 12:45 PM

Forgot to take the battery cable off while changing a starter. It was a shocking experience.
Old 11-30-2000, 12:46 PM

oh, and bumping my motor over to set the valves. With the t5 in gear.

!
Old 12-01-2000, 05:59 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

it's always good for all of us to set example to others of what NOT to do. my favorite dumbass story is this:
10 years or so ago me and a friend were racing a 69 in brackets at the local track. i had the car in my garage for some mods or repairs. i was taking the ladder bars off. had jackstands under the car. had a floor jack too. not sure what happened but as i got the last nut off a u-bolt the leaf spring jumped down and pinned my hand to the floor with my 1/2" impact wrench resting in the palm of my hand and the deep impact socket still with the very long u bolt in it. i couldn't move my hand (thought i broke it) and could get my hand out and couldn't get the jack to raise the rear off my hand and the impact wrench. finially after about 30 minutes i got free of the car and went to get x rays of my hand. closed a pocket knife (only carry lock blades now) on my finger once (10 stiches) using it for a screw driver. i've taken better care of my cars than i have of me.

------------------
-=ICON MOTORSPORTS=-
1st & 3rd
Old 12-02-2000, 09:05 AM

well you guys could be like me i was changinn a clutch on my 89 2.8l 5 speed when i got done i used my moms car to go to the auto parts store to get a new clutch fork bboot so i leave th keys inn and the ignition on annny ways i get home pull in the driveway accidently bump my car and it takes of in to the garage door knocking it down finally stoppig at the end of the garage and then dyin? thatll teach me never leave key in the on position again.do you guys know how much ?? one of those damn garage doors cost?alot and the worst part was tellin my mom annd dad that i didnt really drive into the garage door they still dont believee my story as to why the garage door was in 20 pieces when they got home roflmfao any ways thas my big car f up
Old 12-02-2000, 10:43 AM

Christos about your car overheating, are you have a lower airdam? If not pick one up from GM, it only costs $20 new. (look under car from front, should be a big black vertical panel right under the radiator.)

That airdam makes a huge difference in temp. When I got my car it would run hot cuz there was not one on the car (stupid previous owner) me being the idiot I can be at times thought nothing of it, got pissed and hard wired my fans. Made a big difference. Then I was looking at the chicks RS across the street and I notice that big black panel. I look under mine and I think f**k the problem was right in front of me the whole time... After kicking myself in the @ss, I head over to the Chevrolet dealer and they gave me some BS that I need this and that number. I go buddy I need an air dam for a 85-92 RS/Z28 it's the same part number. He continues to be a clueless twit, so I leave. Next stop Pontiac dealer, talked to the parts guy there, with-in 5 minutes they ordered the part. Then the guy at the counter asks why I did not go to the Chevrolet dealer and said maybe they have the part on hand. I tell him the story and say they lost a sale.

------------------
1989 Camaro RS LO3 WCT5 "The Hose Queen" 0-60' 2.34 1/4 15.8@87mph
http://350.StreetRacing.org
Old 12-02-2000, 06:07 PM

I Think I have all of you beat...

changing hood struts on a TA hood , you remove one , then go to the other side , remove the other and then BOOM , you're pinned down by the SHARP edge of the hood , your back cut up a bit and bleeding , with no way of lifting the hood... and you wonder how you could forget to put the damn stick there to hold up the hood...

don't ask me how I know that story
Old 12-03-2000, 04:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
I beg to differ - I bet a 400 will run longer than a 305.. my 400 is out of a 73 Malibu and easily has over 200K miles on it. I know a guy who had three different cars that he wrecked, with the same 400! After he wrecked one, he just put the engine into the next. I think part of the reason is because they have suck a long stroke that they dont have to rev as high as other engines, which I believe is easier on the engine. I have a few abuse stories ,too hehe

One time im driving home from school on a four lane road with a median in the middle. Well, there are train tracks ahead, and aww crap a train is coming. Well, I figured, to hell with this, im bustin a U turn. So i made a U-ee right across the median. I just about fell out of my seat, though. It was funny, too because after I did it all the traffic behind me started doing it... lol

The other abuse story is about 2 months ago when I was out at the Dallas street races. Well, SOMEHOW I managed to cram 5 people in my car (including me), not small people either; if I recall, feet were sticking ou t the window. Well, we get to a spot where people are racing, and were not there for 5 minutes when someone shouts "cop!". So everyone hauls a$$ to their cars, and so do we; well, all 5 of us pile in, I throw it into 1st, and with the doors still open i peel out all the way out of the gas station where I was parked, right onto the onramp to the freeway and book it to the next gas station along the route. that was the same night I found out my engine mounts were shot because there was so much weight in the car that every time i got on the gas hard the engine would jump - lol at first I though my rer end was going out...

------------------
1983 Pontiac Firebird SE
LG4-Based Chevy 400
700R4 Tansmission
Modified 4 Barrel Q-Jet Carb
Accel Super Stock 8mm Wires
Edelbrock Pro-Flo Air Cleaner
3.23 Posi Rear
14X7" Cragar SS/T Wheels
35X4 CD/AM/FM Head Unit
100WX2 Amp
2 Pioneer 12" Subs in Custom Box
Third Gen Performance
Old 12-03-2000, 08:25 AM

check dis out

only day my cousin was putting a new fuel pump on his jeep...not a camaro but equally hilarious..he was wrenching away at the fuel lines and he was right under them......i guess he didnt think they had any pressure or something.......well......WHOOSH....gas all over him....in his eyes.....all over the place.....i laughed....then ran and got him some visine...
Old 12-04-2000, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Originally posted by cica55:
I Think I have all of you beat...

changing hood struts on a TA hood , you remove one , then go to the other side , remove the other and then BOOM , you're pinned down by the SHARP edge of the hood , your back cut up a bit and bleeding , with no way of lifting the hood... and you wonder how you could forget to put the damn stick there to hold up the hood...

don't ask me how I know that story
This is the winner, hands down.

Old 12-04-2000, 01:39 PM

Well, i haven't had my camaro too long (about 8 months now) B4 i got my car, i knew nothing about cars (or anything mechanical) I mostly did computer repair, and made a few web pages here and there. So, in feb. i pick up my new car, now this being my first REAL car (i dont consider an 82 beat up caprice my first car, i didn't pay for it.) i became intrested. I started searching the web and what do i find? (this page of course!) immidately i'm intrested and start reading all the info about my car and other cars like my car. so, after about a week of gathering info, i decide its time i do some stuff on my car. so, i go out and do a few minor things, like changing the oil, spark plugs, and cap N' rotor. I get these things done, and if i have any doubts while doing them, i would consult this page or my two repair books. So, now some time goes by, and i've done some stupid things (thank god i wasn't hurt too bad) for example i was pulling and pushing on my torque converter housing. (after i went on a "log ride" with the camaro.) I didn't know what it was so i counstult the page.. about 1hr later i'm told NOT TO TOUCH this while the car is running or i'll be typing my next post with my lips . Another dumb thing i've done is i heard a ticking noise in my friends probe, (so, now i think i've read enough stuff and done some minor work on my car i should be able to fingure this out) i go under his hood and i realize the ticking is from his spark plug, so i go pushing on his wire that is leading to the plug and next thing i know ZAP!!! for the next day my whole right arm hurts b/c of that damned wire. So, i've learned NEVER to touch the wires while the car is on . Ok, i think i've kind of shared enough, and i just want to say if it wasn't for this board i wouldn't know what i do now (which still isn't much) and i wouldn't be able to continue to learn about somthing that i had no intrest in one year ago. Now i like cars and automotive so much, that i'm thinking of taking a few classes at a technical college here in town, so i can mabe make a career of it. But i guess i just want to say is THX for all of the people who have been putting up with my stupidity for almost the last year.
Thanks,
-Martin Abraham

Old 12-05-2000, 08:27 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4 2400 ACT Stall
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Borg Warner 9-Bolt
For those of you that know me (Duff, Daz, FTA, and a few others...ahem) I'm not the brightest crayon in the box...heh... Well, yesterday branz thinks..."Gee golly, i won't what happens when you stick yer pinky finger in a plug wire.." Sooo...heh i did...well my little cousin was playin behind the steering wheel and turns the car over to **** me off, but instead he sees branz run out the garage and roll on the ground in pain... Oh the agony..... Oh and then there's the time branz decided to be a dumb @ss and floor his car, kewl, it goes to 145 mph...vvvvRrRrRrOOOOOMMMMMM....6500, 7000...i left my car in drive and kept at 7000rpms ...forgot it was there...shifted into OD...BOOOm.....car never shifted correctly since, then 2 weeks later, new tranny...heh...i got more, but well...like vader...this server couldn't handle it...

------------------
89 IROC-Z 350 TPI

-Flowmaster Catback
-Performance Resource Chip
-700R4 (Rebuilt) Too much done to actually list
-K&N Airfilters
-Ported Plenum
-2.77 Gears (not much to brag about but eh, its there)
-MSD 8.5 mm plug wires
-Problems every other day with the car (probably not a mod, but to me it sure makes a difference)
Old 12-05-2000, 09:35 PM

Well.. my experiences with cars, fortunately, haven't been THAT stupid. <g> However I have done my share of stupid things. The first major car thing I did was rebuild a rochester quadrajet out of my 85 z28. Taking it apart went rather smoothly. Putting it back together, however, was different. As I was reading through my Chilton's for reference, it kept saying that I needed tool such'n'such to do this. (I somewhat ignored that.. heh) So somehow, I do manage to get it back together. However it runs at 2000rpm idle. I take it back off, make a few adjustments, and then the car won't start at all. It tries to though. Well anyways I keep making adjustments, starting it for 10, 15, 20 seconds at a time.. I do this for about an hour when eventually I hear "WHHRR.. Whrrr.. whurrr.. rrrr... " and, well that was the end of my starter, although at the time I thought it was my battery dying. I get a guy out there to give me a jump.. when he tries to hook up the jumpers to the battery sparks fly. (Fortunately, no battery kablooie. Just sparks.) It seems that I killed my starter from cranking it so often, and that it was stuck in the "start" position and wouldn't disengage. Crapola. I broke down and took my car to the mechanic, who put in a new starter and adjusts the carb the way it should be. However.. They give me a call saying that they can't seem to get it working right. A day later they called me back and said it was just because the car had run out of gas while it was there. sheesh. SO anyways I get my car back. A short while later my ex girlfriend drives it into another car and totals it. *sigh*.. heh

And then there was the time I thought I could remove and put a tire on a rim by myself... It took me hours to get the tire off.. First I tried a screwdriver (HA!), then a crowbar, and then I cut the thing off with a steak knife. heh Putting it back on was another impossibility.. so I limped to the tire store on a spare.. heh

This definately isn't a third gen fbody.. but still.. On my very first car, an 89 Dodge Colt GT (GT! WOO! Four cylinder performance baybee!) the exhaust manifold had a hole in it. It was impressive; my four cylinder was about as loud as most v8's, if not a bit higher pitched. heh. Also, one time while I was adding some oil to the car, I forgot the oil cap.. My car locked up a few days later.

------------------
89 iroc-z
everything stock, except for a mirror that fell off
Old 12-05-2000, 09:45 PM

And then there was the time I thought I could remove and put a tire on a rim by myself... It took me hours to get the tire off.. First I tried a screwdriver (HA!), then a crowbar, and then I cut the thing off with a steak knife. heh Putting it back on was another impossibility.. so I limped to the tire store on a spare.. heh
[/B]
haha, still laughing over the steak knife that just cracks me up... reminds me of the time my grandfather was welding with a coat hanger bc he was out of the right wire i've never known anyone to ghetto rig more things...
Old 12-06-2000, 01:00 AM

If we're gonna get into grandpa-posts, this could get kinda ugly.

both my grandpas are notorious for somehow concluding that duct tape, a hacksaw or a hammer will fix anything in the world.

i know this isnt car related, but i can remember getting a transformer for my sixth birthday and not being able to put it together. so i begin to cry because i was a spoiled little bitch and my grandpas snag the thing from me and take it downstairs. they come back up with their threee favorite tools (hacksaw, hammer, duct tape) and with a bit of cutting here, smashing there and some not so subtle tape, i had the only ghetto rigged transformer on the block!

i swear to god both of their cars are held together by duct tape....

------------------
1991 Firebird Formula, 305, TPI, Auto...stock till I get some money!!!
Former owner of an 88 2.8 Firebird....RIP
Old 12-06-2000, 01:41 AM

Well I still could not see myself pissing on any car I owned, that is cold man, you are going to F-body hell (daniel dekay for that (***** land) I bought my car for $500 from a friend who washed it; even if it looked like nothing much, no tires, interior, would not turn on, no windows (try washing a car with no door windows or back windshield) I always took nice car of my car. But I would not take out my now girlfriend with my car because it looked awful, no radio, no healiners, primer fender, faded metallic medium orange paint shades all over, ect. I did not take the car when I went out, because I thought she was hot as hell and did not want to jeopardize my chances with her, finally one day I said screw it I am taking my car, who cares what anyone thinks, I love my car, so I did and she could care less, I am sure people saw me, my girl and the car and thought my girlfriend was blind or was my sister. That night I scared (she says she was not impressed or scared....yeah right) the crap out of her by doing the longest burnouts she had ever seen (forward and reverse) we have been together ever since.
She has seen my ups and down with my car, she has never insulted my experience by suggesting I take it to get it fixed rather than fixing it myself. She only asks if I need a ride to the parts store or if I am hungry and would like to take a break.
The last real stupid thing I did was overtightening the oil pan drain bolt. It leaks a tad of oil but I bought an oversized bolt to fix it. I hope I dont screw up.

I also remember buying some Z28 91-92 style rims with brand new tires for $400 and realizing that nght that they were S10 rims with the ZQ8 package, I put them on and the lugs would keep turning but the rims would not go on completely. I tried to take them off and I couldn't I got 3 of the rims off and fourth one was impossible with the small leverage I had with the car on the jack and hitting the crap out of it with a 2x4 that usually held up the hood. When the shop got it off I bored out the "hub" on the rim and was able to get them on fine. I felt like a dumbass.
Most of the time you guys on the board help out a lot and prevent me from screwing up majorly and while working on the car I realize that if I did not ask so many "stupid" I would really end up feeling and looking stupid. But when I do mess up I learn from my mistakes and even post them like I did with my tranny a day ago so that someone clever enought to look at the archives will learn from my mistakes and avoid them and save money. Thanks everyone

------------------
88 IROC-Z,L98 350 TPI, 700R-4 Tranny 2.77, K&N Filters, 126K Miles runs great.
Old 12-06-2000, 11:44 AM

I don't feel so bad now! hehe, i felt like a dumbass writing this up, but i figured i would for everyones entertainment.

One more story.

A friend of mine in denver owned a 1970 caprice classic station wagon. one of the HUGE wagons.

Well, to make a long story short, he blew the engine, and replaced it with a built 350. nto a bad engine. not chrome or anything, but a vette block, still respectable.

so, my friends transmission blew shortly afterward (too much power in the new 350 maybe?). so what does he do? he parks his car in front of the house, changes the oil, and lets it rest there for over a year.

Well, needless to say, he noticed shortly afterward, his car was leaking oil. After the year rest, he went ot start up his car, and surprise! if your engine has no oil in it, it will seize up with rust. which of course, it did.

come to find out later, the reason why it had this leak, was because my friend FORCED the oilpan bolt back on, crossthreading it.

what a waste of a good 350.

man, this same friend is a major tech for a computer company, and he could have simply fixed the transmission with a small per cent of one paycheck.

i don't understand some people.

Oh, and on a quick one, i got a flat tire about a year ago (loss of pressure due to cold weather). anyway, i get the tire iorn out, and proceed to tighten the bolts on the tire, for around 5 mins, when suddenly i notice what i was doing wrong.

oh well, thanks for the posts guys! keep it coming!
Old 12-06-2000, 12:59 PM

cica55, LOL ROTFLMAO!

I have seen that happen before!

Friend of mine was changing shocks on a 3rd gen. He had access to a 4 point lift. Up in the air went the car. He unbolted the bottom of the shocks from down below and then climbed up into the car. From there, he unbolted the top of the shocks. Needless to say, the rear almost fell out of the car. Only LCA's were holding it off the ground. The T5 was out as well!

------------------
1992 Pontiac Firebird 350/Six Speed
1987 Toyota Pickup 383/500+ HP
Old 04-16-2003, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Check The Sig
G0D DAM THIS POST IS OLD! before i even became a member... wow... anyway.. dumbest thing i did was replacing the lower radiator hose. I got the whole thing drained and im trying to pull off the lower hose.. finaly get it off and try to get the new one on... but the one end isnt fitting on the water pump. I looked at the old hose, matched it up, and didnt understand wtf was going on. It looked like it was to long... so i started to cut the hose... and it wasnt working... i was STILL clueless to what was going on. I cut more off to make it fit, but still no luck.. it just wasnt going over the water pump... it turns out i had it backwards.. i felt like a dumb ***.. took me 2 days to figure it out.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:06 PM

Wow, thought this was lost in the archive for good.

Mark another for the 305, it's bene run withou oil, and it's still running. (Not too well, but it works)
Old 04-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Originally posted by bigals87z28
G0D DAM THIS POST IS OLD! before i even became a
You;'re the one that brought it back.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 1999 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10 Bolt
i like my 305, a lot of people put them down but i cant complain, plus the 1/4 mile times its capable of really impresses me
Old 04-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Check The Sig
dam 5spd... i hope to break into the deep 14s after this summer, maybe high 13's
Old 04-16-2003, 07:10 PM

you think 305's are tough, then you should invest in a 250 inline 6. ran that engine ot of oil several hundred times trying to get it to seize up so i could swap it for a 350 in a 74 nova. that's a tuff motor to break. finally ssold te car and it is still running to this day with the 250 in it.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:18 PM

My impact gun is capable of 550 ft/lbs. I rotated the tires on my 3/4 ton ford pickup when I got the air gun. A few months later I went to rotate the tires again and I had 32 incredabley tight lugnuts.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:59 PM

Dumbest thing I did...hmmmmm..

My car had a jumpy idle, and I had just replaced all my plug wires, but I knew one of them had to be bad. So after inspecting the wires over and over again, I just started grabbing wires while it was running like a dare devil. Let's just say the coil wire taught me a lesson LOL.

I grabbed the wire 3 different times, I didn't realize I was getting the crap zapped out of me LOLOL
Old 04-17-2003, 02:48 AM

Ok heres one for the books LMAO. This happened just recently while I was timing my car after rebuilding the distributor. I'd known for quite awhile that my clutch had been pretty bad in my Z. I didn't quite know it was this bad though.

7:00 AM in the morning... I wake up and go straight to the garage to get my distributor tightened up and to recheck timing before I take the car to the mechanics shop to get the oil changed and a major tune up done. I pop the hood, hook up the inductive timing light, unhook the wire for the computer, walk around to the drivers door and start the car. Car fires right up and I check to make sure the emergency brake is on and everything. I let the clutch out walk around to the front of the car and start checking my timing. Hmmmm..... Timing is just a few degrees off. I shut the car down, adjust the distributor and start her up again. Everything is awesome! She's purring like a kitten. I check timing again. I point the timing light into the engine compartment and start checking the timing. Something bumps my leg though. Stupid dog get outta here. But the dog is laying by the door. UH OH!!! My car just about runs me over as it goes barreling into the garage cabinets and continues to push against the house as the rear tires are slipping on the slick garage floor. I run around the car shut it off and realize that I had left the car in gear. My dad comes out into the garage just in time to see me running for the drivers door and my car moving without me in it. Apparently the clutch was so far gone it was just sitting there slipping till it got hot enough to grab. That is the hardest I have ever heard my dad laugh at me.

Well theres my two cents worth,
Stephen

P.S. I just got the Z back from the shop and I now have my Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, Centerforce throw out bearing, and moroso pilot bearing installed
Old 04-17-2003, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 96 Silverado/99 Suburban
Engine: 700 cubic inches of 'Muican Awesome
Transmission: 4L80/4L60
Axle/Gears: Chunky/Clunky
Well, being the natural blond that I am, (yeah, I'm a guy, but it still makes for a good all-around excuse for life) I have to put in my part for this thread. Ok, I was driving my Camaro around, just like I would any day of the week, and needed to come to a stop. Well, little did I know that my right shoelace was untied. Now my car is a 5speed manual, so you know it has the smaller brake pedal...Well, somehow with my foot on the gas I managed to lasso the stem of the pedal with my shoelace. When I was going to stop at a 4-way stop, I went to move my foot over to the brake, and, well, it didn't go! I finally (well, a second or two later) got it to the point where I could hit part of the brake, but still had to hit the gas too, and I have a powerful V8 so that didn't work. Ended up making a slolom course out of the intersection (horns blaring) was swerving just a tad, and stopped using my left foot. Now while in a half panic/half not used to using left foot for brake pedal, I ended up locking up my brakes and pulling a 180 about 20' after the intersection. Here's the best part....when I came to a stop (facing the oposite direction) I just to happened to be staring straight into the face of a local police officer. Turns out he was the next car in line to go accross the intersection in the direction I was heading. He laughed so hard he didn't even give me so much as a warning for flying through the intesection. Just glad my foot didn't slide over enough to hit the switch to turn on my blue strobes in my headlights, bet he would have loved that.

EDIT = And yeah, my 305 is a tank that thinks it's a Camaro engine. I drive hard....hard hard....and dragrace (team HORSEPOWER!!)....and my friends still, after owning the thing for quite a while, can't believe how smooth and beefy my 13 year old car is...

Last edited by 90RS305; 04-17-2003 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:11 AM

Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
Just hit the 100K on my '86 LB9. Still runs like a champ. Not bad for stock sparkplugs

Hit 185,000 on the 305 2bbl in the Safari Wagon. Then it dumped the timing chain. I had an acquantience who had a 350 that needed a home. $500 Later I had a scary fast A-body. I used to run it around with the exhaust unhooked at the Y-pipe, and the secondaries wired open on the Q-jet. Put another 75K on that motor, before Dad got rid of it one day while I was at work.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:49 PM

Car: 1990 IROC-Z
Transmission: 700-R4
Long live the 305

My car has the good ole 305 TPI with about 160k miles in it, and still running like a top. As for a stupid story, I have a few-

Anyone ever realized that during the winter on an old car, the hatch pistons tend to not hold the hatch up anymore? I forgot this one day, and ended up with a lump on the back of my head.

While wiring up some interior lights, I noticed that one of the blacklights was dangling in the back....so what do I do? I throw an extra screw on to hold it up...problem was that the screw was between the two wires, and it crossed them. I wondered where the smoke and funky smell were coming from, until I realized that the wire insulation was melted along the whole length of wire, and I sorta burned the foam insulation in the headliner. Go me.

Another funny story that will most likely leave you all in stitches-

I got my car about three years ago from a used car dealer...not really knowing the "whole story" about it, or what it was equipped with. The only thing I saw was the aftermarket CD player. Ok, big deal, and it had an alarm. That much I knew. So anyway...one night, I'm out looking for something in my car, and I'm looking into my hatch leaning on the back of the car (with keys/remote in hand), when all of a sudden, my car makes a little noise, and then just starts up out of nowhere. This, scaring the **** out of me, sent me back about ten feet from the car, staring at it in a daze of stupidity. So I go into the house, make phonecalls to people asking about my "possessed car" that I thought I had and I didn't know how to shut it off. Finally, I'm in the car fidgeting with things, when I step on the brake pedal and the car shuts off. Curious, I thought. A short of some sort? What kind of short would just "start" the car and know when to disengage the starter? When tinkering around with the remote a day or two later, I came to one conclusion which made me feel really stupid. My car was equipped with a remote starter, and I had leaned on both buttons 1 and 2, which when pressed at the same time will start the car. I had to live that one down for a while.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: th-400
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt/Detroit TrueTrac 4.
what about this one. dad- "hey son finish putting the exhaust on before i start the car." me-"alright dad i am on it." i was under the car after the 350 swap bolting the exhaust on the passenger side when my dad is in the car playing with things. all of a sudden i cant hear at all. i climb out of the car and my dad said sorry i thought you were done. i got a headful of open headers. it sucked. my ears rang for like a week.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:54 PM

I've gotta car that hasn't had an oil change in over 5 years. Just add a quart of oil to it every other month. A true testament to Pontiac!!! Hell I'm afraid to change the oil now, damn thing will probably quit running. I don't treat my T/A like that though. The car is my wives 6000 she had when she was in school. It's an ongoing joke with all the guys I work with. I let the dorm rats here borrow her drive the hell out of it. I drove the car for through corn fields. We jumped it in a parking lot here on base until the motor mounts broke. The seatbelts no longer work. There's no exhaust of any kind on it.

Last weekend the piece of ***t took us on a 400 mile road trip with no problems and very very very little coolant!!!!!!

Danimal
Old 05-10-2003, 07:37 PM

Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
I've gotta car that hasn't had an oil change in over 5 years. Just add a quart of oil to it every other month. A true testament to Pontiac!!! Hell I'm afraid to change the oil now, damn thing will probably quit running. I don't treat my T/A like that though. The car is my wives 6000 she had when she was in school. It's an ongoing joke with all the guys I work with. I let the dorm rats here borrow her drive the hell out of it. I drove the car for through corn fields. We jumped it in a parking lot here on base until the motor mounts broke. The seatbelts no longer work. There's no exhaust of any kind on it.
That's like my girl friends dodge omni. The thing's a 90, it's been a farm car/beater it whole life. For the last 6 years,( she's only 16 now) my girl friend just use to drive it around an apple orchard and cornfield, and just beat the hell out of it. It's seen a few trees, bottomed out on rocks and stuff countless times. When her older sister got her license, two years ago, she registered it and drove it. Then she got a new car and it saty for about a year and a half. So, I have this thing at school on the last day called a senior parade, where everyone usually just drives their parents cars, or some other nice car they can get there hands on. Well, I'm using this car to make fun of all those kids with their hondas. I'm making a full bodykit out of plywood and sheetmetal. Complete with a spoiler, fog lights and grill. Actually, the front looks just like a camaro (I'll take pictures and show everyone when it's done). Anyway, point is, I asked my girlfriend's family, seems the car hasn't had an oil change in about 5 years, When you open up the hood, there's oil EVERYWHERE on the engine, and I mean everywhere. But, after 160,000 miles, and sitting for a year, I went out and started it up. CDar fired right up without hesitation, and runs just like the day it came from the dealer. Goota love American cars...
Old 05-10-2003, 11:34 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
You guys would be amazed at all the dumb $hit I've done in my life.....
Old 05-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc z hardtop
Engine: peanut LB9
Transmission: slopomatic TH700R4
i've drivin mycar 3 quarts low. and then realized that she was knoking from no oil and no collant. u wanna talk abot a bad night be a 2 our ride away from home 3.5 qts low on oil and no coolant. well lets just say we stole some oil out of some bodys car. but hey at least we left them a note. and we borrowed there hose to fll the raditaor. then did 100+ tocet home as fast as possible, would keep overheating at 65-70ish.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: 400
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt Posi 3.73
16 right now, excited to learn about cars, ok im gonna change the oil and oil filter on my camaro, unscrew the bolt, let the oil drain out, mm k good, put the bolt back in, pour new oil in, call dad to tell him.. whoops forgot to change the oil filter while the oil was all out. = problem. thankfully when i unscrewed the oil filter no new oil came out.. lesson learned, thank *** not painfully.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:56 PM
MX265

Long story short.... My wife and I were driving through the White Mnt's in NH. We were on the Kancamungus Hwy, which is long, winding and high up there. We were enjoying a nice peacfull ride when all I heard was BANG!!!! and then the sound of loud exhaust. I pulled over and got out. My wife, who is much smarter than me, tried to turn the car off, but I told her not to cause' I wanted to locate the "Exhaust Leak". She said OoooKaayy (like woman do when they know we're not making sense) . Well, I got out, pulled the hood latch on the old Chevy, walked around the front, and went pull the hood up. And WHAM!!, the minute I touched the hood, I flew on my azz like a sky diver with no parachute!! I was numb head to toe! I started yelling "turn the car off, Turn the Car off!! I look in the car and my wife is Laughing her Azz off, I look up the road and the three hardworking construction workers are laughing their Azz off!! Real Nice! When I eventually lift the hood, I find that a Spark plug, still attatched to the plug wire, had some how blown out of the spark plug hole and was neatly sitting right near the hood latch!! Lesson learned: Always turn the car off before venturing in!

Ya'll have a good Memorial Day and I'll be back on Tuesday.

Andy

Quick Reply: "305: The engine that keep taking the ABUSE!" or "I am an idiot!"