Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

another crossfire question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another crossfire question

alright everyone how do i or can i increase the fuel pressure on an 83 crossfire firebird and will i see any gains in power. I read about it in the tech articles but need a better explination for the crossfire. Im going to the track tommorrow night and could use some help. if someone can tell me how to do this before then it would be much appreciated.

thanks all

jeremy
Old 10-03-2003, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28 5.7 G92
Engine: L98 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi G80
Alright the only difference between crossfire injection and TBI is that obviously there are two 1 barrel TB's instead of 1 two barrel TB's. The front TBI unit has a fuel pressure compensator (not regulator). The rear TBI unit is the one with the regulator. Maybe you could try modifying the rear TBI unit the same way you would a 88-92 2 barrel TBI, they should be very slimilar. You should plan on installing a fuel pressure gauge and take a reading of the fuel pressure BEFORE you mess with the pressure. Just incase.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:43 PM

alright gasgzler man thanks alot i took apart the front tb earlier today and said this don't look right and i didnt mess with it any more so ill pick up a fuel pressure gauge tommorrow and take apart the other tb and see what happens, thanks again.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
Originally posted by GASGZLR
Alright the only difference between crossfire injection and TBI is that obviously there are two 1 barrel TB's instead of 1 two barrel TB's. The front TBI unit has a fuel pressure compensator (not regulator). The rear TBI unit is the one with the regulator. Maybe you could try modifying the rear TBI unit the same way you would a 88-92 2 barrel TBI, they should be very slimilar. You should plan on installing a fuel pressure gauge and take a reading of the fuel pressure BEFORE you mess with the pressure. Just incase.
I'm a fellow member of a car club that Jeremy is in, that's why I'm about to hoard in ...

I'm going to assume by "compensator" you mean that it's basically something that is dictated by the actual fuel pressure from the regulator in the other TB? Kind of like a rectifier (diode) in an alternator? I.E. a check valve?

Is this "upstream" from the other TB w/regulator, therefore keeping the fuel at the same pressure as the back TB that's downstream? And from the "back" TB, the fuel returns to the tank?

Again, this is just an assumption. Something I know we should never do. In that case, lets just call it a "conclusion" instead. OK?