Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

For those of you running Canfield heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2000, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you running Canfield heads

I'm seriously looking into a set of Canfield 195s. I'm looking for some feedback from some third-genners using them. The guy at Canfield said his heads make more power than the AFRs...and quite frankly, I think I believe him. Also, are the heads pre-drilled for all accessory brackets? ( I'm into fast cars with A/C ) Thanks in advance....John
Old 11-18-2000, 09:18 PM

anyone? I know theres only 7 people at Canfield, but surely someone in here has a set.
Old 11-18-2000, 11:41 PM

I dont know of anyone here that is running Canfields. There is a guy at the camaroz28.com board that swears by them, but be warned he has no practical experience with them. I think there might be a couple guys over there running them.
So, whats their praise that they are better than AFR's? Kinda curious...
Old 11-19-2000, 01:01 PM

Madmax, When I spoke to one of the Canfields( HR was his name I think ) he guaranteed a set of box stock Canfields 195s would produce more power than a set of AFR 195s if placed on the same engine. I questioned this to him since both have nearly identical flow #s.. his response was that flow #s do matter but velocity is very important as well, so hence, he is claiming his heads produce a better charge into the cylinders. I've known of some real high horse applications using Canfields ( all of them at the strip ) so I really have no reason to discredit him. I realize that AFRs seem to be the standard in here, but is it simply because no one is running the Canfields since it's such a small company and third-genners just seem to have not discovered them yet? Just a thought. Last but not least, I can get a brand new pair of 58cc CNCed Canfields for right around 1200 bucks............John
Old 11-19-2000, 04:19 PM

Hey Junky,

I had a VERY interesting discussion with the guy working at the Canfield home office relative to high performance Chevrolets.

His name is Jay, and for 18 years he was Bob Gliddens engine builder. Went on to serve 2 years as Billy Gliddens crew chief. We talked piston speed as it relates to camshaft timing events, overlap, duration, and LOTS on LSA vs. compression.

This cat is the real deal. He offered that if I was to buy Canfield heads, he would tell me the hot setup for getting a custom ground Comp Cams made just for my 406.

Looking ONLY at 195cc heads that have been independently tested on flow benches:

AFR 195's and Canfield 195's are always the best two. Both outflow Brodix, Edelbrock, Dart, and many others.

AFR usually gets best peak flow at higher lifts, but only by 5-10 cfm. Canfields usually flow better than AFR's at .400 lift, and remember, the valve sees .400 lift TWICE on a power stroke, whereas it only sees peak lift once.

So, Canfiels have better mid-lift flow, and will make better midrange torque. On cams with more than .550 lift, the AFR advantage becomes more pronounced. On bigger cubic inch motors, like a 406, I'll bet AFR has a small advantage.

BUT LOOKY here: Jay said the preferred dealer in the U.S. for Canfield heads is an outfit called Propower in Florida. I called them and got a price quote on a set of 195's complete with Ferrea stainless steel valves - ready to run for $1,095.

AFR's will go for $1250 - $1,350.

10 minutes with a die grinder on those Canfield bowls and they'll outflow the AFR's at all lifts. BUT - the $1,095 only gets you 7* locks and 1.25" springs.

I believe the AFR's come with 10* locks and 1.47" springs. The research continues.

BOR
Old 11-19-2000, 07:27 PM
md

Mike Stark, owner of CFM (my latest parts supplier) likes the Canfields. His main line business it port work, and he sells parts as a second line business. He carries Canfield. Might be worth a call, he's always talked straight to me. I personally like AFR's, but I haven't tried the Canfeilds.

Is this a plug? Yes it is. When someone treats me right, I repay them. Take it for what it's worth.

Mike Stark, Creative Flow Management
http://www.cfmperformance.com/

Old 11-19-2000, 09:03 PM

Rocks.... I found a distributor in Wisconsin that handles the Canfield heads..its a place called Competition Products..they sell the CNCed Canfield 195s for $1100, the milling to 58cc is a $100 add on. And if memory serves me correct, the standard springs are 1.55 doubles. The more I think about it...I think I'm going to go with them. The 195s have the steam holes so that I'm covered once I build my 406...