Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What distributor to use ??? HEI, Point???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000 | 10:05 AM

What distributor to use ??? HEI, Point???

I need an ignition box, distributor, and coil. If I can get great performance and still keep it cheap I would like to. I will be running the edelbrock performer package. I want to spend no more than 400 on all. What suggestions do yall have. HEI or point type??

------------------
Bright red 87 GTA with 350 tuneport. Basic mods such as K&N filter, Flowmasters, Wells MAF, TPIS air foil, Accel 8.8mm plug wires with , Accel distributor cap and rotary buttons.Gutted cat. B&M Shift kit, 100HP shot Nitrous, soon to change over to carburator.
Old 11-16-2000 | 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Get a Performance Distributors DUI... it's a HEI that has been heavily massaged, different coil & module, etc. One shop I know of, that is a dealer for both and has a chassis dyno, A-B'd one of them against a complete MSD setup on some typical performance car; the Davis was worth about 7 extra HP.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
Old 11-16-2000 | 12:10 PM
md

I came real close to going with the DUI over MSD. It’s a great distributor. I’m partial to the MSD 6AL, so I went that route with the MSD distributor. The DUI does not work well with the 6AL though, DUI told me that the 6AL was frying their coils.

The 6AL is not really needed for most builds. A properly tuned HEI is all you’ll ever need. They are a great distributor. I don’t think you can go wrong with ether DUI or MSD, but if you want to run a multi-spark system, I would go MSD all the way. A good set of wires is a must too. The MSD super conductors is what I’ve been using.
Old 11-16-2000 | 01:12 PM

Now, which is more vital to the overall system, a good distributor or a good ignition?If I spend less money in one are which area should i choose. I was thinking of getting a junkyard distributor, petronix rebuild kit with coil and a MSD 6AT. This way I can still put the rev limiter on it.Sound like a good way to go?
Old 11-17-2000 | 11:59 AM
md

If I was you, I’d just get a good distributor (HEI). The multiple spark boxes are not needed if your rpm will be under 6500 and you have a good HEI. The multiple spark will give you six fires under 3000 rpm and one long continuous spark above that up to 8000 or so. If you have an HEI system that is dialed in correctly with a high output coil and module, I doubt that you will notice a difference with the box. If you want the ability to use one later, then I would get yourself a MSD distributor. That way MSD will be more willing to accept warrantee claims if you have problems using the box. I would not screw around with rebuilding a distributor. Timing will make or break an engine. The MSD billet is a work of art. I would also get yourself an adjustable vacuum advance kit.