Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

somthing broke

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000 | 02:08 PM

somthing broke

Ok. Ill start with what happened. I have a 5 speed on an 85 T/A with a recently swapped 350. I am at a stoplight not in gear. when the light turned green, i went to push the clutch in, and it was very stiff, I pressed little harder, and the line from the slave to the resivoir busted a hole. What could have caused this? It wa not burnt from the manifold. I am thinking mabye air got into the syatem, or the throwout bearing seized. The line is almost impossible to get seperatly, i work at a Chevy dealer, and they did a national search and there are NONE in the US. Ill have to get a used one from the yard, but I need to know why this happened in the first place. If anyone can help, I will greatly appreciate it. And if anyone has the line that Im looking for, I will pay fair money for it. Thanks alot in advance. Dave
Old 11-16-2000 | 03:29 PM

Wow! The day has come that someone asked the question that I think I can help with! Quick question..does your car vibrate alot at high speed? If s..you may have done what I did. I drove my car over 100mph for about 10 miles then the same thing happened with my clutch. It turned out to be something free that I spent 400 bucks on. The adjustment for the clutch play that goes to the fork are got screwed way out of it's thread from the vibration. It took me a long time to figure out that is what it was. Check if the screw is way out on the left hand side of the bellhouseing. Screw it all the way in or close to all the way in when you get the new line or assembly. Good luck...

------------------
-Red '88 IROC 5 Speed 305 TPI w/3.08
-Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch
-Accel 300+ Racing Ignition
-Accel 300+ Pro Sleeve Plug Wires
-Accel U-Groove Plugs
-Flowmaster Force II 3 Chamber Cat Back Exhaust
-Hypertech Chip
-Hypertech Airfoil
-Removed, Then Re-installed (out of fear) MAF Screens
-Gutted Air Box
-Best E/T 14.90, 60 ft. 2.17, 1/8th mile 9.61(bald tires, Code's 34,36)
-Best MPH 92.7(bald tires)
Old 11-16-2000 | 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
I had the same thing happen to me, except that it was from exhaust heat... the line ran about 1" from the header, but it turns out that when the clutch was pushed, it moved over to about ½" away. It got a little "bubble" in the line and burst there, while I was in the line at the inspection station of all possible places. It shot brake fluid all over the header and started a little fire, toasted the #7 plug wire in the process. What a PITA.

The only way I could get it was to order the whole pre-filled, pre-bled reservoir/ MC/ line/ SC assembly from the dealer. The new one has its line pre-formed, to conform to the contour of the firewall; it isn't hanging out in free space any more, which is a major improvement. The whole enchillada was only about $90 or so, and my clutch works a whole lot better besides.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."