Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Slimming valve guide boss question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slimming valve guide boss question

Anyone have a close up pic of some finished valve guide bosses that have been slimmed down? I think I have mine where I want them but want to be 100% sure. I've seen a few pics where people slimmed them down the full radious and some where they left the left the one side near the far wall untouched. All the books and materials I have don't really show a clear picture.

Btw I am not really getting into the exhaust valve guide bosses. I am smoothing them off. I've read too much here can actually hurt flow .
Old 08-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird S/E
Engine: 406Ci Vortec SBC
Transmission: TH-350/3500stall
Axle/Gears: 7.5" Auburn 4.10 Posi-Traction
do a search for ported or porting heads on the net.

There are many images.

here is some vortec head pics
Old 08-03-2003, 10:06 PM

Seen quite a few pics. Those Vortecs are great right out of the box.
Here's a pic of my progress. These are not the same heads. I snapped the before pic of the head I am getting ready to start on. They look rusty but it's just the orange light. I have alot of cleaning up to do. Still wish to do more on the exhausts. I need to get a flap wheel to polishe them up. They already have the larger valves installed and had low miles since the rebuild so I had to be careful around the seats.

before

after

Old 08-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=191702 a post originally on a different subject but containing a pic of what you want to know about....

These aren't stock heads though, so the way the port and the guide come together may or may not apply to whatever you're working on.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:01 AM
Banned

ok since the first post didnt go through..heh.

you would be suprised how far i slimmed mine up, but thats not to say it was 100% correct. i just kinda took out the stuff that i felt was serioudlt in the way, all casting imperfections and such, like random little bumps that i swear were placed to **** me off.

so back to the subject, you can slim them down to about 3-4 mm and it be OK . to be *safe* would be 4-5. i went to about 2 mm lol.

the only problems youll see off of 2 mm thick is if you bent a valve pretty badly, it would crack the valve guide wall at the very bottom tip. in which in either case, a valve being bent badly wnough to crack that iron, would tear up the engine regardless to the valve guide cracking.

but take as much away as you feel comfortable with. i might have gotton lucky for some reason with how thin i have mine. then again my car isnt running right YET. but i swear thats ecm/sensor related. or some vaccuum leak im over loooking somehow. anyways enough of my problem.

just make sure you lap the valves after you are done, assemble them, turn them right side up and pour rubbing alcohol in all the intake and exhaust ports. alcohol is pretty thin so itll show leaks very well. just let them sit for about 30 mins, them grab a flash light and inspect the edges of the valves. if they leak, keep on lapping. i had to lap for an entire day. finally got em leak free though. so keep at it, itll be worth it in the end ...i think. mine just turned into some seriously random problem thats pissing me and everyone else off on this board.

good luck
Old 08-07-2003, 02:04 AM
Banned

best i can do, pic sucks like everyone elses...that was half done. i took a good bit more off by the end

i got about as ballsy as irocz and slimmined mine down almost identically to his, that seriously looks like my heads lol
Attached Thumbnails Slimming valve guide boss question-finished1.jpg  

Last edited by SlowMaro; 08-07-2003 at 02:06 AM.