Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car Dead in the Water (Well, Street, actually)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Dead in the Water (Well, Street, actually)...

Hi Everybody!

Driving to work today my stereo started to cut out and restart (it says Hello to me when ever it starts). Also, the entire electrical system was acting a bit strange...wipers were slow, and turn signals were not ticking steadily and finally would just stay on whenever I tried to use 'em.

Then, when I was about a block from work, the car died in the middle of an intersection. Needless to say, I got it to a safe spot and did some quick checks:

Battery cables are on tight
Power is going to the cabin, but the radio won't start
Hazard lights wont go on
Car will not start - no clicking, no turning over

My first guess is the alternator, but...I'm not sure...
I am having a Digital Voltmeter brought to me so I can check the battery voltage (exactly how should I go about this?)
Also, how can I check the alternator? Can I do this with my DVM?
Could it be the starter motor? If so, can I check this, and where is it located?

My car is LO3 - 305 TBI. Has been running strong up until today....
Oh, I just deleted my a/c, air and heater motor/core. Maybe one of these dead end wires was grounded? I don't think so, though, because they are all in their weather boots.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm kinda sad that this is my first post....

Thanks!
-Andrew
Old 08-01-2003, 02:52 PM

is there a buzzing when u have the key into the ignition, if not and theres no power to the car it could possibly be the starter wire. Happened to me
Old 08-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Sounds like a fusible link.

There are 2 of them IIRC; they hook the entire rest of the car to the battery. Each of them feeds about half of the car's circuits. So, typically when one blows, you end up with stuff like ignition, radio, A/C, etc. doesn't work, but headlights do. They are at the starter, they meet the main battery cable where it attaches to the starter solenoid.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:01 PM

Yes, I get the annoying buzzing sound when I put the key in (actually, the car is 14 yrs old - 1990 - so it sounds more like a dying wasp).

Anyway, RB83L69 - that sounds like a good thing to check. Um, I don't have my Hayes manual here, where is the starter? Is it mounted really low on pass. side towards the firewall? Also, what do these fusible links look like?

Another quick question: If indeed the alternator is fried, would the car start without it?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
IF the key buzzer works, probably not a fusible link. More than likely with the symptoms you describe (hhhmm, all to familiar to me.....) sounds like your alternator went south. If you have a volt gauge in the car, turn the key on, (run postition) and see what it says. should be right around 12 volts. if the batt is dead, you should still be able to jump start the car, and cripple it a SHORT distance. (even with a toasted alt...) Again, if you have a volt gauge, see what it says with engine running, should be above 13 volts at idle, if not,....... time for a new alt.

Have fun.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:54 PM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
When my daily driver started acting like this, it was the alternator. Battery drains down from no charging from alt and eventually the car dies. And yes, if you battery is in good shape, the car will start after sitting a little while. The battery will actually charge itself back up a little bit. Sounds like alternator to me. The first sign I got something was wrong was the radio went dead.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:29 PM

Put your nose about 1 inch away from your starter and take a whiff. That'll help diagnose