Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

how to wire in power seat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
how to wire in power seat?

I have a 91 Z28 without power seats, and I'm putting in a power seat from another 91. I've heard that the connector may be there under the carpet in my car even though it didn't come with power seats. Does anyone know for sure? And if it's not there, how do I wire it in? I got the connector out of the donor car, and I know that orange is + and black is -, but how can I safely wire it in without blowing something up or lighting my car on fire? I'm not very good with electrical stuff so please be a little more specific than saying just wire it to a power source and a ground. (I know this probably shouldn't be posted in the engine section, but I really need an answer fast, I'm doing this tomorrow.)
Old 10-12-2000, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have a ’91 Z28 but with power seats. The information I’m giving you is from the Chevy service manual.

The power seat has three motors for (1) front height, (2) rear height and (3) forward/backward movement.

There is only one connector (two wires) to the battery (positive and ground), and one connector from the motors to the switches (six wires) (both connectors are contained on the seat). The wires are as follows:
connector #1:
ORN/BLK = +12
BLK = ground

connector #2:
LT BLU = rear height motor 1 of 2
YEL = rear height motor 2 of 2
DK BLU = front height motor 1 of 2
DK GRN = front height motor 2 of 2
LT GRN = forward/back 1 of 2
TAN = forward/back 2 of 2

I really believe that you have the factory two-wire connector. If you don’t see it, perhaps it is under the carpeting. The +12 goes to the battery (hot at all times) through a 30 ampere circuit breaker. You may have to get that breaker – check the fuse box. I believe it says "power seats" (or some form of abbreviation) on it.

Advise if the connector is not there, and we can go from there.

EDIT: To answer you question on "how to wire it up so I don't set the car on fire" --- just make sure that you have a fuse or circuit breaker in line with the power wire, rated for not more than 30 amperes, and you should be okay.

If for some reason you don't want to wire it into the connector, just wire the ground to one of the seat studs and the positive, through a 30A circuit breaker to the fuse box, where the factory 30A breaker would be. I believe a 0.250" male spade (correct terminololgy?) will just plug into it. Both wires should be 10 or 12 guage wire.

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited October 12, 2000).]
Old 10-12-2000, 11:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 LG4 & 92 TBI Firebird
Engine: The Mighty 305!
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
The factory wired the seat from the orange/black wire that runs your power locks. If you dont have the connector, then you'll have to wire it up manually. Under the carpet, near the front, outer seat stud, there will be a predrilled hole. this is where the factory grounded the seat. Sand the area to get shiney metal for a good ground. Buy a power ring, crimp it to the ground wire, then use a screw to secure the power ring to the floor. Next, run a length of 12 guage wire from the orange/blk seat wire and splice into the factory orange/blk wire. You can tap into the wire behind the drivers kick panel by the door lock relay. This cct already has a breaker on it, so an additional fuse is not required.

------------------
-Justin-
T-Top '86 5.0L LG4 700R4 WS6 Now Bilstein equipped!
T-Top '92 5.0L TBI 700R4
My '86 Firebird Homepage
The F-body Model Kit Pictoral Archive (updated 9/18/00)

There can be only one!!