Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

do those fuel/oil treatments work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do those fuel/oil treatments work?

If they do, which ones are the best?

------------------
yellow 86 Camaro LG4
Pioneer head unit
Kenwood speakers
Infinity Beta Digital 300 amp
2 Infinity Perfect 12s
Old 10-07-2000, 08:11 AM

I believe in the fuel treatments, but not the oil. I would recommend Outlaw fuel additives.
Old 10-07-2000, 09:46 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are some fuel additives i use. most were with methnol. i use another in my fuel oil tank to keep the fuel from gelling. as a rule i don't add anything to gasoline in my cars. as far as the ones for oil i've always looked at them as "snake oil" type things. keep you oil and filter changed and you won't need anything more.

------------------
-=ICON MOTORSPORTS=-
Old 10-07-2000, 10:13 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Ed,

First, the serious stuff. Be careful how much methanol you mix with your fuel. Methanol is highly corrosive to most bronze alloys since it readily attacks the lead component. I've had experience installing a few methanol distribution systems on heat treating processes, and the ASME requires stainless or plain steel valves, fittings, and pipe/tubing. Many rubber compounds are incompatible, as well as some plastics. PE will survive methanol, but PVC will eventually dissolve. If you want to run an alcohol octane booster, it's a little safer to use ethanol.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Matt,

To answer your question, yes, the fuel and oil treatments work very well to achieve what the products were primarily intended to do.

Most fuel and oil treatments are not designed to improve the performance or durability of the engine, however. They are products that are intended to fatten the wallets of the producers and marketers. You can walk the aisles of almost any auto parts grocery store and find any number of things you can dump in your gas tank or oil pan to "improve performance", "increase mileage", or "protect your engine". BULL-FREAKIN-SHEOT!

These products are not made to be used, they are made to be sold. And they get sold by the case every day to people trying to take the cheap or easy way around a problem. Most of them don't do anything to improve anything, and some of them can actually damage systems.

But, they do bring in big $$$ for the marketers, and eventually help make more money for honest mechanics. There are precious few of these additives that actually perform a useful function, and none of the good ones are advertised on late-night infomercials.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0

[This message has been edited by Vader (edited October 07, 2000).]
Old 10-07-2000, 10:16 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I use AMSOIL's PI gas additive. It contains detergent and an upper cylinder lube. It's amazing what it will do to clean up an intake system. Keeps the intake valves clean, too.

I had an engine that my brother had abused, the intake tracts were coated with burnt-on oil residue. I ran it for a couple thousand miles using this stuff while I rebuilt another engine for that car, and afterwards the primary bores of the intake looked like they had been bead blasted. The secondary bores didn't, because I was afraid to push that engine. I was impressed with what it did to clean it up, and have seen similar results with other engines.

I don't use and wouldn't recommend any oil additive.

------------------
82 Berlinetta, orig V-6 car. Rescued w/86 LG4/TH700R with all harnesses, sensors, ECM, etc. 2.73 open. Cat-back from '91 GTA, Accel HEI SuperCoil. AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Daily driver, work-in-progress (LB9 w/ZZ3 cam, ported heads, exhaust, paint, etc.).
57 Bel Air, my 1st car. Currently 396 .030 over, Weiand Action+, Edelbrock 1901 Q-Jet, Jacobs Omnipack, 1-3/4" headers, TH400 w/TCI Sat Night Special conv & shift kit, 3.08 10-bolt, AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Best 15.1 @ 5800' Bandimere. Daily driver while Camaro was being put together.
Old 10-07-2000, 10:52 AM

Marval mystery oil has alway worked good for me,We had an 88 chevy truck that was used on a farm and idled a lot so it smoked from all the build up, 300 miles with marval and an oil change and it quit smoking!This stuff almost cleared up my valve seal problem in my GTA, As far as gas additive it says you can use it there also and I have but didn't notice any difference,However, Berrymans B-12
cleaner did make a difference in gas mileage in my old IROC (it was carbed) don't know if the carb made a difference or not but it's pretty good for fuel cleaner.

------------------
88 black gta
tb coolant bypass
gutted maf
gutted air boxes
no cats or smog
700r with a snior citizen discount
bald tires
Old 10-08-2000, 11:24 AM

what about that dura lube thingy? they said it treats the metal such and such and retards the wear... its quite expensive here, is it worth it or is just guano?
Old 10-08-2000, 03:53 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 Liter
Transmission: 700R4
Oil additives are bs. use synthetic and that's all you need. i dump GM fuel system cleaner in my tank maybe once a year. just don't use it too often. like vader said, a lot of the oil and fuel additives on the shelves at wal-mart are a gimmick designed to separate you from your money.