Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

My car will not start-VATS problem I think!! Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003 | 12:57 PM

My car will not start-VATS problem I think!! Please Help!!

Hi all. I recently bought an 89 Trans Am, with a 305TPI/auto drivetrain. The steering column, ignition is tore all apart. I researched and found out the values for the VATS passkeys, but I don't have a key to go by. I can still turn the ignition with pliers, I have the VATS wires from the ignition, down and jumper wires ready to hook to various resistor values. I can here the fuel pump come on but the car won't crank or fire at all. Could something else be killing me? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Brandon
Old 06-27-2003 | 02:38 PM

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 6.0L LQ4
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.70
I guess the Neutral/Saftey switch would stop the starter from cranking. Check to see if your rear hatch will remotely open. I had that problem once.
Old 06-30-2003 | 07:50 AM

I don't think the park/neutral switch is the problem. As I said, the steering column is trash, and I think it is definately a VATS problem. I bought the car for reasonable price, but I don't have a key for it (not that it matters, the ignition is all tore up). I have tried the resistor value substitution on the VATS wires, but I still can't get the car to crank/fire. Please help a guy out...
Thanks
Old 06-30-2003 | 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 with stuffs.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Posi
VATS can disable the starter as well as the fuel injectors, not the pump. If you don't have a key, take your VIN (registration card too) and a driver license to a local GM dealership. They should be able to make you a factory key for it if you give them your VIN. If the car has VATS they should give you a VATS code with the key. They MAY not be able to give you a VATS code. If they can't get your VATS code, then you'll probably have to burn a PROM without VATS in it. Be warned though, a VATS key costs about $30 from the dealership, $5 without VATS. If you can get the VATS number for your car, then you can get the resistor values, bypass it, and then get yourself the $5 key. Hope that helps.