Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

PLENUM PORTING AND POLISHING

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLENUM PORTING AND POLISHING

I had an article passed to me on polishing the plenum, to get a mirrored shine off it, like chrome, which i want to go with the valve covers... But it says if im going to port the plenum, to do that first.... I can gt all the equipement needed to so this, but it looks intimidating... Anyone done it themselves, and think i'll be okay? And do i have to take it off the car to do this? (yeah, im learnin as i go, so this is a first for me...)

------------------
1988 Formula, 305TPI, 700r4(for now), headers, stage 2 PROM, modded MAF, cat back, no catalytics, cowl hood, centerline champ 500 rims, KOBEL predator ground effects kit, Trans AM tailights, dash pouch, 92 shift console w/indicator, white face gauges, accented red trim, 12 speaker stereo, 4 amps, tint, T tops... icq 44373460 AIM:admrlam
see it at www.geocities.com/admrlam/bird.html
Old 09-25-2000, 12:04 AM
IROC-ZTWENTYGR8

Maybe this could benefit u. If u do it tell me about it, I will probably be doing this sometime too!! Take this link: http://www.tribal-treasures.com/cars...-port/port.htm

[This message has been edited by IROC-ZTWENTYGR8 (edited September 24, 2000).]
Old 09-25-2000, 12:40 AM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
That's from MikeInAZ. He's done a good job on his plenum. This like may be of some assistance too:
Plenum Porting.pdf

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0

Last edited by Vader; 03-31-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Updated links
Old 09-25-2000, 07:12 AM

thanks guys, i downloaded both articles, and the acrobat reader for that one... they kicks *** ....... it doesnt look that bad, but is it easily DOABLE?

------------------
1988 Formula, 305TPI, 700r4(for now), headers, stage 2 PROM, modded MAF, cat back, no catalytics, cowl hood, centerline champ 500 rims, KOBEL predator ground effects kit, Trans AM tailights, dash pouch, 92 shift console w/indicator, white face gauges, accented red trim, 12 speaker stereo, 4 amps, tint, T tops... icq 44373460 AIM:admrlam
see it at www.geocities.com/admrlam/bird.html
Old 09-25-2000, 10:38 AM

IT is definitely do-able but plan to take your time and go slowly. I basically followed the directions from the other sites (above), but my engine was apart so I also ported the lower manifold and matched the runners at the same time. And yes, the plenum needs to be removed from the runners as you will have many aluminum chips flying all around....

A couple of hints: you really need a 1/4" die grinder to do this; a Dremel type tool just doesn't cut it! Also, instead of buying one of the "complete" porting kits, try a local welding supply as they had bulk abrasive cartridge rolls, mandrels, and cutters that were less expensive the popping $50 or so on the "kit" ones. Finally for aluminum, be sure you get a "non-ferrous" carbide bit (very course cutting teeth) as they don't load up with material while you're grinding.

The only area that made me a bit nervous on the plenum was at the sides behind the throttle body mounting area, there are "steps" on each side where the wall are not very thick. It would be easy to grind all the way through if you get overzealous!

Have Fun!