Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

car won't start, help needed bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2000, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car won't start, help needed bad

i came home last night, parked my camaro, and went to bed. i woke up today and tried to start it, but it wouldn't start. i tried for 4hrs to get it started. when i turn the key, it made a zing noise at times, and other times, it sounded like it wanted to start, but just gave out a zing. i have a new battery and altrernator that's less than a week old. i put gas in the car. the starter is less than a year old. anyone have any ideas or know what's wrong. i would truely be grateful for some help.

shawn
Old 09-22-2000, 10:18 PM

i would say it is either your starter or your solnoid which is mounted to the starter...however chek to see that all the wire are in tact and not burnt or anything like that before you pull the starter off...and is your car an auto or manual
Old 09-23-2000, 01:46 PM
89IROCZ

OK.... the obvious stuff: if it is an auto, make sure it is in park, etc.

My car wouldnt start when I first got it and the battery and alternator were fine. It turned out that my hypertech chip was fried... so it could be your chip if it cranks and wont fire.

Otherwise, I agree with the previous response... check the starter and selonoid(spelling).

------------------
1989 IROC-Z
350c.i. TPI
rebuilt 700R4 with shift kit
3'' Monza Pacesetter cat back exhaust (minus the muffler)[SOUNDS OF THIS ON MY WEBPAGE]
new dual cats
3.23 Posi rear
hypertech chip
under drive pulleys
adjustable fuel pressure regulator
K&N Air Filters
Excalibur alarm, keyless entry and remote start
new:
struts, shocks, bearings, distributor, cap, rotor, alternator, battery, regulator
245 ZR16 50 Tires, Rotors and brake pads all the way around

Go to my webpage to find out more about it.
You can also see pictures, and hear sounds as well.
http://go.to/iroc-z

AOL IMer: JRShotliff
Old 09-23-2000, 01:53 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts
Camaro,

Did the "zing" sound something like a starter gear just barely engaging the flywheel teeth? If this is the case, you might want to check the starter solenoid and gear engagement link and pivot shaft.

If the starter motor is not turning at all, the solenoid might still be responsible. If you don't even get a "click" when you try to crank the engine, start looking at electrical connections at the battery, engine block ground, and starter solenoid.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0

[This message has been edited by Vader (edited September 23, 2000).]
Old 09-24-2000, 09:21 PM

well, i put a new starter on today, and it started right up. could a bad starter also be the answer to low voltage as well? like when my stereo is on? with in the past week, i put in a new battery, new alternator, and now the starter. what gives?