Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cowl induction setup, anyone know how to get one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Black Formula
Engine: Rollercammed Lg4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10 Bolt Locker
Cowl induction setup, anyone know how to get one?

I've been looking for a complete setup, the one from the 82-84 TA. As I understand it, it would fit right on top of my lg-4 into my formula hood. Now the problem is really finding a complete setup, I have found one that lacks the air filter lid.

Do I need the air filter base also? Or is the lid and up all it takes?
If Someone has the lid, I guess that would do it also.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:41 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
I just got a PB hood with the top part of the system intact but havent a clue about the lower cleaner base. Id let you have it but shiping to Norway has to be $$$$$$ no doubt.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hate to rub it in, but I recently found two complete sets from the junkyard. There are TWO kinds though...

The differences are between the LU5, and the LB9 (or L69?).
One is meant for the cross-fire injected motor, and the other is meant for the carbureted motor.

On the hood itself, ALL the components there are exactly the same. It's the air cleaners that are different.

The 1984 HO TransAm came with the carbureted one that you need.. those are /VERY/ rare, and when they do sell on eBay, they sell for BIG bucks.. I have to admit though, it's an extremely cool option to have.

The 82-83 only came with the cross fire injected air cleaner set-up. Both air cleaners have the little hole in the roof to allow for additional air to come in.

For the carbureted one, all you need is the air cleaner lid. The base is exactly the same.

What is really cool however, is to get the dual snorkle base, and attach the COWL lid to it.

I bought these from the junkyard because I REALLY REALLY like the 82 TransAm. I'm kind of at a loss though, because I no longer own an 82 TransAm. I'm completely unsure about which way to go. I also purchased a complete CFI set-up from a 1982 Chevrolet Corvette. I can build up a decent 350, drop the corvette CFI setup on it (whcih is jetted and configured for a 350) and have the power of the 350 with all the cool stuff the LU5 TA came with.

Then again, I may end up just wanting to go with a carbureted motor.. and use the 84 TransAm's cowl set-up.

Either way, I need to find an 82 TA.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:52 AM

Actually it is quite alot. But now I have found a freight forwarder which gives me a PO box in the US, and ships it from there to me for 75$ for packages up to 10 kg's. I havent tried them yet, but lots of peple say they're ok. So if you would give it to me for alow price maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all.

Unless one could be better of with just regular mail? I don't know, and I cant very well just pop into a US post office and ask about it either. ;-)

Some don't ship outside US, think it's because of it being to hard to calculate the shipping. This way that problem at least is eliminated.

Strange that thing about the aircleaner lid. It seems that that one often is missing. Oh well, I'll probably find that one too.
Is the solenoid and vacuum operated switch there and in working order?

Best thing for me would be to locate a aircleaner lid and have it shipped in the same week, that way I would only have to pay for one shipping charge.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:16 AM

Yeah, it's the one from the carbed engine I would need. After what I have seen to them, the ones from the crossfire engine seems to be alot more rare. I found an aircleanerlid on ebay yesterday, but wasn't quick enough to bid so that one slipped through my fingers, and it only went for 10 bucks!

Lot's of them 82-84 TA's here in my country. Guess that's because they where the cheapest to import used. Well lot's may not be quite the right term, but just going through some classifieds today, i found four, after looking for about 30 minutes.
But the problem is that we don't have any junkers who stock firebird parts in scandinavia. At least they didn't have that.

I guess since the 82-84 TA was such a low performer compared to the sixties performers, it dont get the same kind of collectors value.
It's like the guy who tried to sell me his -78 mustang, he pointed out that the good selling points and collectable value about the car was that it came with only 4 cylinders! Like that's a collectors wet dream!

Well, back to the induction thing...ehem.
The dual snorkel would be cool, but wouldn't it be kinda unessesary since the cowl kicks in at WOT? I'm not opting for that, unless i find one at a fair price. It's the power bulge hood I would like to have functional, dont like these things not doing anything.

Sounds like you want a nightrider or something? I like those models too, but I had the choice between some banged up ones, or the mint -87 I got instead. Wasn't a hard choice really, only got 50 000 miles on it, so it's very sweet.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually... I'm not TOTALLY sure what I'm looking for. For me, it has to be an 82 because I like the fact that it was the first year. Second, what I like about the 82-83 cars was the design. The 82 TransAm was an awesome cross-over from the 70's TransAms. It has EVER SO SLIGHT fender flares... the later TransAms had full ground effects which in my opinion does not look as nice.

I'm having a real toss-up decision between an all White 82 TransAm with the black decal kit, or an all black 82 TransAm with the gold decal kit.

The 82-84 TransAms were AWESOME for performance upgrades.
Seriously.. the car was great. You could take a totally stock 82 CFI TransAm, with a manual transmission. Remove the 305 V8 motor.. drop in a built up 350/4-bolt into it, maybe something with 300 horsepower.. doesn't even need to be that much, and replace the injectors and the ECM EEPROM with one from an 81-82 CFI Corvette, and you've got yourself a TOTALLY stock looking 82 TransAm that runs mid 13s in the quarter.

It doesn't get more badass than that.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:53 AM

Oh yeah, I see...it has a higher performing FI setup, or at least the potencial. We all have our favorites, and almost every model year has their advantages and drawbacks. Personally I love details from several years, but none has everything. Maybe i can build up mine with all the best details. It'ill be fun anyway it goes.

The cowl induction thing is definatly one of my favorites, and I wouldn't swap it for any aftermarket fiber glass hood. Only thing is that it seems to be dimensioned more to the 305, than the 350, but I like it anyhow.

But you didn't have a aircleaner lid for the carb did you?