Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need help please(non-thirdgen)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help please(non-thirdgen)

I dont currently have a thirdgen but i do love em and i have a problem with my current car. I have a 90' Maxima that has some of the lifters pumping down when cold. I priced new ones, crapped my pants, and ruled new ones out(45 bucks a PIECE). I went to a u-pull-it junkyard today and got lifters out of a motor that was nice and clean inside and stuff. My question is, can i use em' and it be ok? I know its not what you're supossed to do but if it'll last 50k miles, thats all i need. Would it be better to run the clacking ones or put these in?
Any help on this is appreciated

------------------
~Sp33d~
(sold)1989 2.8l 5-speed RedBird w/ flowmaster, cold air intake, TRW cam. Audio system includes-Cadence component plate 4x6's/Cadence 3way 6x9's,300watt amp to front speakers/400watt to Blaupunkt DVC 12" sub.
Old 09-17-2000, 07:49 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
foo,

Have you tried disassembling and cleaning your original lifters? Mixing lifters in different bores is a no-no, let alone different engines. If the bottoms of the lifters are in good condition, disassemble and clean all parts, especially check ***** and discs. A strong solvent can help remove some of the varnish and make the task easier. Be sure to soak the lifters in clean engine oil before reassembling the Nissan. (It would be nice if you knew where all the lifters came from, so they could be installed in their original bores.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 09-17-2000, 07:57 PM

So basically i cant put these lifters in my car...hmm...i suppose its okay to replace like one or two if it dosnt need them all cant i?(i mean with new ones, not used).
Old 09-17-2000, 08:06 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

foo,

You can put the lifters in your car, but be prepared for the cam to wear faster, at least until the lifters have worn to match the cam. To minimize this, you should always try to get the lifters in their original positions. Since this isn't possible on replacement lifters (new or otherwise) you'll just have to take your chances. It isn't likely to cause major damage, just wear you cam flatter in less time.

Even though the lifters came from a "clean" engine, I would try cleaning them before installation. You might as well start with the best you can, even though they are used. There's a good possibility that your original lifters are noisy because of reduced oil pressure on the used engine. Clean lifters are more likely to hold oil, and if the pressure is low, you'll need all the help you can get.

But then, it's just a Nissan...

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 09-17-2000, 08:22 PM

what the car does is, when started in the morning, there is a tick from the valve train that will be very pronounced, go away a few seconds, come back ect.. till the car warms up. I thought it was clogged oil passages so i cleaned the motor out(manually, motor on engine stand w/ all covers off and some mineral spirits and compressed air) and put the motor back in(i did a trans replacement, didnt pull the motor just for that ) and well it runs the same.
if i replace just the one or 2 that are clacking, that would be better than sticking used ones in there wouldnt it?
Thanks,

------------------
~Sp33d~
(sold)1989 2.8l 5-speed RedBird w/ flowmaster, cold air intake, TRW cam. Audio system includes-Cadence component plate 4x6's/Cadence 3way 6x9's,300watt amp to front speakers/400watt to Blaupunkt DVC 12" sub.
Old 09-17-2000, 08:32 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

foo,

Since you are installing used replacements, it's probably a good idea to only replace the leaky ones and leave well-enough alone. There would be no benefit in replacing good used lifters with other good used lifters, and you may wear the cam unnecessarily.

To prevent further deterioration and collapsing of the lifters, you may want to start using synthetic oil and increasing the change frequency to help clean everything as best you can. After a couple of changes, you can probably go back to a mineral oil if you are on a budget. At the least, you should increase the change frequency with mineral oil to keep things cleaner.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 09-17-2000, 08:42 PM

One last thing...would running a thicker oil(like 15-50 Mobil 1 or 5-50 Pennzoil synthetic) be benifical or would it not make a difference? the car has 173k on it and wasnt maintained very well by the previous owners i dont think.
Old 09-17-2000, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: yep
Engine: uhuh
Transmission: sure does
Are these the HLA type lifters?? (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters)

I've had NO luck with replacing them with used parts.

The only way we do it is to replace them all. I know that is expensive but HLAs are a bitch.

The hardest problem with replacing a few is trying to find the ones making the noise. If you are like me you will THINK that you know which one it is, but when you've replaced it the noise is still there.

I've never had one of these little buggers apart, I imagine its not easy.

Belive it or not Isuzu dealers are putting in "Rislone" oil treatment as a fix in customers cars/trucks for the same complaint.

I don't like ANY addatives but hey, like Vader said, it is just a Nissan.

------------------
ASE Mechanic/Machinist/Smog Tech

1999 NBM Trans Am, flowmaster,FRA,Pro Kit,BMR STB, polished calipers.
1986 Chevy 3/4 ton pick up,flowmasters,4.10s,
1981 corvette FOR SALE
1995 ZX6R,Yosh,D207s

GO #3
Old 09-17-2000, 10:33 PM

Rislone.....do normal parts houses sell that? if it will fix it without me havin to go into the motor im all for it
Old 09-17-2000, 11:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: yep
Engine: uhuh
Transmission: sure does
Like I stated above, I'm not at all for addatives of any kind, But yes, you should be able to get it at a Pepboys, Kragen, Etc.

I put it in a Isuzu Trooper (As per dealer instuctions)with a V6 with HLA's and it worked.......I haven't heard anything from the customer so it must be OK.

Good luck.

------------------
ASE Mechanic/Machinist/Smog Tech

1999 NBM Trans Am, flowmaster,FRA,Pro Kit,BMR STB, polished calipers.
1986 Chevy 3/4 ton pick up,flowmasters,4.10s,
1981 corvette FOR SALE
1995 ZX6R,Yosh,D207s

GO #3