Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

removing engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing engine

Is there any way to pull an engine from one of these cars without removing the front grille/fascia?
I've got one of them nice engine hoists, and from the front it puts the hook about even with the waterneck, and going at an angle it's still several inches away from even the closest hole on the lifting plate.
Is it possible to pull the engine with the hoist not centered over the engine? (no, right?)
Old 06-03-2003, 01:50 AM

man, I don't know what kind of lift you got but mine will reach almost to the windshield when it's fully extended. make sure the lift arm is all the way out to its furthest setting and it should work, I pulled the motors out of two "birds" and never had a problem.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:25 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my lift, and every other one i've seen or used would reach to back of the engine if not farther, sure you have it adjusted out as far as it'll go?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ye, and not just the top arm with the hook. The legs extend out also. Most have bolts on the legs securing them through a welded on nut. The top arm should have a hole with a bolt going throug it. Make sure you have the legs out enough to support the amount the top arm is extended.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56
Originally posted by jimmy_mac
Make sure you have the legs out enough to support the amount the top arm is extended.
No kidding. I overlooked that little leg extention when I was pulling the engine off my stand (getting ready for installation). As soon as I picked the engine and stand off the ground there went the back of the hoist in the air. Had to have the wife stand on it until I could get everything rebolted to the stand and the legs extended.

Your boom should extend. I haven't seen one yet that doesn't.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:20 PM

yup, the boom is all the way out, the legs are on... Won't reach

Just tried going in from the side, but the legs hit the tire, and I can't even get close enough that way!

BTW: it's a "Team Mechanix" hoist... Sux, bought it a year ago when I thought I was going to rebuild the motor on my '77, but time/money didn't work out then, and I think it's a bit late to take back now. Just took it out of the original cardboard boxes, too - all shiny and new. Maybe I'll try and sell it? I got a deal originally and paid about $200, so I might be able to recoup that, maybe... Then just build an arch to go over the engine and pull from above with pulleys...