Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What's included with a dyno tune???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's included with a dyno tune???

Well, I figure I'll give my carb one more shot before I dump it and throw on a Holley Commander 950 system. So I was wondering what do they do to your car when they "dyno tune" it? I assume they try different jets and stuff to get you running right, but what else do they do? Do they set it up to idle good and have smooth acceleration too? Also, how much does this usually cost? Thanks in advance.
-P.S. Is there any way to tune a carb for performance and economy simultaneously????
Old 05-15-2003, 06:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Depends on who's doing the tuning, and how much you're willing to pay. A standard 3 pulls with a wideband O2 sensor (that's how you measure the results of the mixture settings) is usually anywhere from $70 to $100. Then whatever parts-swapping or adjusting you want done is on top of that. And it may end up taking alot more than 3 pulls to get it right.

It takes time. Time is money. The tuner's time, and dyno rent time. A good tuner charges more per hour than a less experienced one. The more aspects of how the car runs you want them to massage, the more time they'll have to spend.

How difficult it is and how perefect they can get it set up depends on how well-matched you engine and car combo is, what carb you have, and how available the different parts for it are. If you have a computer-controlled Q-Jet on something with a big lumpy cam, it'll be brutal, and you probably won't ever get it right. Drive in there with a setup that all works well together, with a Holley or Demon on top and a jet & power valve and accelerator pump cam set in your hand, it might be a breeze.

You get what you pay for, usually.

Yes in theory you can tune a carb that way. In general, an efficient-running engine produces the most power out of the least fuel.