Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Why is my entire Dynomax exuast getting HOT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is my entire Dynomax exuast getting HOT?

wtf? just installed the Dynomax Cat back on my 2.8 the other day and finally got to drive it today after replacing a tranny mount.

I just took it for a quick run around the block (About a mile) and when i shut off the car and got out i noticed a burning smell, i thought maybe one of my tires was rubbing or something. So i looked under my car and i see heat waves comming off the cat and heard a crackling noise comming from it too. I went to the back to feel the exaust tips and they were hot also, the muffles was also making a crackling noise on the inside.

WTF is causing this? it never did this before on my stock exaust and i havent changed anything since putting on the Dynomax exept for the transmission mount.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well exhaust does get pretty damn hot, wouldn't you think ? I think it's just new and all the metal inside your muffler and cat is getting used to the extreme hot/cold cycles. Besides ALL exhausts emit some crackling/popping noises right after you shut off the engine. It's because metal expands when it gets hot, then it starts going back to its normal state when you shut off the extreme heat source.... your engine's exhaust gas.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Odyssey
Well exhaust does get pretty damn hot, wouldn't you think ? I think it's just new and all the metal inside your muffler and cat is getting used to the extreme hot/cold cycles. Besides ALL exhausts emit some crackling/popping noises right after you shut off the engine. It's because metal expands when it gets hot, then it starts going back to its normal state when you shut off the extreme heat source.... your engine's exhaust gas.
the crackling noise actually sounds more like the fiberglass inside the muffler is doing something wierd from the heat. Like i said before, my stock exaust (The tips and muffler) barely even got warm after a full hour of driving, yet this one i cant even touch just from driving it for a couple mins.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you happen to have a huge exhaust leak in your system before? It's perfectly normal for your exhaust to be hot to the touch after driving, even after a few minutes. As far as crackling sounds and burning smell, that's probably just it breaking in and burning off whatever coating/oil was on it.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
Mouse crawled inside when it was sitting in the warehouse, and now you're listening to it burn?