Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel pump engaging...but no pressure!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump engaging...but no pressure!!!!

I have posted a few times in regard to ongoing problems with my '88 GTA. I have been experiencing hard starts,hesitation off idle, and a bad studder in lower RPM's. Just recently the starting issue has become much worse. Sometimes it will crank for like 10 seconds with no sign of starting. I let it sit for about 15 seconds and try again. It will usually start on the 3rd or 4th try. So while on lunch today I decided to check my fuel pressure. I turned the key to the 'on' position and heard the fuel punp engage for about 2 seconds. I looked at my pressure gauge and it read 0psi!!! I turned the key off for 15 seconds so the fuel pump would engage. Again I heard the pump engage when key went to on, but no pressure!? I started the engine and pressure read 38psi at idle(with vacuum connected.) Considering I can hear the pump and once it starts it has pressure does that mean there is something stopping the fuel from getting to the engine, or does this indicate the pump itself is bad? Please help me diagnose this problem!!
Old 05-08-2003, 02:03 PM

Can anyone give me some input on whether this sounds like the fuel pump itself, or some other component?

Anything would be a help at this point....thanks!
Old 05-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Change the fuel filter lately?

You can squeeze the rubber fuel return line (using smooth jaw pliers) and see if the regulator is leaking internally.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:35 AM

The fuel filter fittings are so rusted I can't get it off to change. I will try again this weekend. I sprayed it was penetrant...hoping letting it soak for a couple days will get ti to the point I can remove it.

The regulatore was leaking a while back, so it was changed. The car will hold pressure once it is there. But when I first turn the key to the on position I hear the pump, but no pressure. The car will start between the 3rd and 5th try usually, and then when I shut it off the pressure holds. I am just looking for any/all possiblities of what could cause this condition.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Another memeber recently mentioned he had the fuel rail apart, and when he put it back together, the fuel press was slow to rise untill the air worked itself out.

The rusted fittings on the fuel filter tell a tale. Sounds like it's really past due. Let the penetrating fluid soak for a while, and it should come off.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:09 PM

I had a similar problem but mine was the little piece of rubber between the pump and the line in the tank but i would check the filter first before jumping in the tank
Old 06-23-2003, 11:22 PM

I recently had a similar problem. I had no fuel psi when the key was on. I had knee surgery 2 months ago so I was on some good pain meds and did not have all of my witts about me. I immeadiatly thought fuel pump! I could not hear it come on, had no fuel psi. I replaced it ...WITH a fuc.ed up knee! my fuel psi regulator was bad too! After I sobered up from the vicodine, I thought, man, maybe it was only the fuel psi regualtor??? I don't think ti was becasue I could not hear it come on and I bypassed teh relay by putting power to the grey wire and had no results. Point being, pull your fuel psi reg. and inspect both diphrams. It has two little rubber bladders. My tear was so tiny, I could hardly see it until I separated the two bladders and looked very close to the center, this is where they usually break.

Good luck and keep us posted with the results!