Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Hearing outside noise when doors closed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: B&W 2.77 Posi
Hearing outside noise when doors closed...

This is in regards to the ’89 IROC in the sig.

I replaced the driver’s side door-hinges on my car per ANDYZ28’s hinge kit yesterday. The change was a long time coming, as bottom of the door was beginning to hit against the ground effects. The door opens and closes *much* better now and no longer sags, which is obviously a good thing.

After driving to school today, I noticed that I could hear outside noise more audibly than before—like the kind of noise you get when your door isn’t completely closed. I could hear the noise from around the driver’s side door. The thing is, I *know* that the door is closed in a better position than it had been before I changed the hings. The door is perfectly parallel to the bottom of the car now, which is the position it is supposed to be. One would think that would cause an even better seal, causing even less noise. Could it be that my weather-stripping has “worn” to seal against an offset door and the weather-stripping is now shot?

Also, my passenger’s side door is doing something similar, although the passenger’s side door does not sag like the driver’s side did. It, like the driver’s side, sounds like the door is never closed when it actually is. What’s different about that side is that, if I have the door closed and I push on the upper-rearmost corner of the door (nearest the handle) from the outside, I can see that I am pushing the door into the car a little bit. This doesn’t happen on my other door (or on my other Thirdgen, for that matter), and I don’t know why it should since the hinges are good. Any ideas what could be the problem with that door?

BTW – This is a T-top car.

Do I just need new weather-stripping all around or what?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2003, 02:58 AM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: F 305-205 (LB9)
Transmission: 700R4
im not really good at helping people with problems, and im not good at all with explaining things so sorry if it confuses ya too much, but ill try.

I had an 82 camaro that had wind coming in pretty loud, during winter it got pretty cold so i figured i should get it fixed... the problem was just the little piece of weatherstripping at the corner of the door closest to the front, the piece on the black plastic thing behind the mirror, it just slides right out. my brother blew up his 87 firebird so i stripped it down and switched that piece with his, noise was gone...
maybe itll be this easy for you too?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:13 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: Auto 4
air noise

I have the same problem, anything about 30 mph or so (55kph)

I hear lots of air, enough to make me turn the music up at higher speeds...

it pretty much has to be door seal issues... I want to do something about it, but there's soooo much other stuff to do first... including the door sag...
Old 04-29-2003, 04:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
Hey Sancho!! Roll up the Window!!! J/K. If you changed the geometry of the door, you most likely will need to replace the seals..they are used to being out of wack!!!! They may reform with a little time , but I doubt it...make sence?
Old 04-29-2003, 04:11 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
Re: Hearing outside noise when doors closed...

[i] Could it be that my weather-stripping has “worn” to seal against an offset door and the weather-stripping is now shot?

[/B]
Old 04-30-2003, 12:03 AM

Car: '89 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: B&W 2.77 Posi
Thanks for the replies. I pretty-much figured that it was the weather-stripping--just wanted to make sure.

Actually, since I last posted, I actually looked at the rearmost edge of the window glass (from the inside), and I could visually see a gap running along the whole thing. I hit it with some "rubber lubricant" which is supposed to help out with worn-in rubber surfaces, so I don't know how much it will do or not.

Somebody told me that I can adjust my window to take care of things like this. Is that true? I do remember seeing some window guides when I had the door apart that look like they were adjustable, but I didn't want to screw with them for fear that I might break something.

I'll probably just end up replacing the weather-stripping either way, but I just wanted to know.

I am still trying to figure out what the deal is with the passenger's side door. The wind noise doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the door can still be pushed in when closed. I don't know what could cause something like that, but I doubt if it's weather stripping. I'd like to know if anybody else has had similar issues with their door(s).

Thanks again!