Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP!! with ignition switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2000, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! with ignition switch replacement

I have the switch off but I can't see how to remove the shifter lock-out from the ignition switch. This is the cable assy that unlocks the shifter once the ignition switch is in the on position. How is this released from the switch?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 07-25-2000, 11:52 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts

The shifter lockout should operate the shift selector assembly in the column. The lock cylinder cannot return to the full "OFF" position unless the rack/pinion assembly on the left side of the column is allowed to seat down (forward) into the recess in the lower half (column jacket bowl) of the tilting mechanism. If the cable will not allow the selector assemble to relax to the "PARK" position, it may be out of adjustment, sticking, or the selector assembly may be sticking. You may be able to reach down through the left side of the column with a small screwdriver or punch, past the dimmer switch rod and tilt release lever to move the selector to the park position. There isn't much room to get to the sector area through a tilt column, so be ready to improvise a tool from stiff wire, etc.

Once it is moved into place, the sliding rack on the left side of the column should be able to move down into the recess and allow you to move the switch to the full "OFF" position. The switch should be able to be removed once in this position. Don't forget to remove the cylinder lock screw, key warning contacts, and VATS wiring connector (if equipped) before removing the lock cylinder.

I wish I had a picture...

Later,
Vader

------------------
"Some Body...Someone"