Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Seat track question/problem....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat track question/problem....

My GTA's driver seat is in great condition other than a recently broken rail/track. I have been told by a couple of guys that my whole seat is now in need of replacement. If the rail/track is broken on the seat itself, does a whole new seat need to be purchased? I was hoping just the rail/track on the underside of the seat could be replaced. Thank you in advance for any responses.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
You can definitely replace the track only. If there's something wrong with it, you don't have to change the whole seat.

But the tracks very rarely go bad.... motors and stuff fail, but the tracks themselves don't usually. What's the real deal? What's really wrong?
Old 04-15-2003, 11:28 AM

That is the real deal as far as I know. I am not witholding any details of the situation. The metal track on the chair is bent out of shape and is no longer seated in the mount on the floor. I'm assuming the mount on the floor is bent as well. I have not seen the seat yet to diagnose myself. The car has been in storage, and my Dad got the car out to do some work on it(he likes to help out with my car.) He emailed me yesterday saying that the seat would not move forward or back, and was rocking slightly. He removed the seat and emailed me what he found. I do not know what may have caused this to happen. Is this not a possibility? And if this is what happened, I am encouraged by your response that the track itself can be replaced, and a new seat may not be in order. Any other comments or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:41 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
If you have some loose hardware (especially the bolts into the seat bottom) the rails may separate without bending. The mechanism is fairly straightforward, and the problem should be obvious once you get the seat out and flipped over.

One hint - penetrating oil on the floor studs to get it out, then anti-seize when you reassemble.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Vader
If you have some loose hardware (especially the bolts into the seat bottom) the rails may separate without bending. The mechanism is fairly straightforward, and the problem should be obvious once you get the seat out and flipped over.

One hint - penetrating oil on the floor studs to get it out, then anti-seize when you reassemble.
Must stress Anti-Seize!!!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 01:55 PM

Thank you all for your advice. As soon as I get off work I will be taking a look at the problem myself. Hopefuly it's as straightforward as it sounds.