Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Oil leak, not pan or rear main or valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak, not pan or rear main or valve covers

I have an oil leak coming from the rear of the block

first off: ITS NOT MY REAR MAIN SEAL!!!

After removing my transmission and flywheel....there is a plate which the flywheel mounts to. about 6 or 7 bolts (9/16). On the edge of this is the rear main seal, which is free of oil seepage its dry. Beyond the rear main seal is a some sort of semi circular plate about 5/8 inch thick and has 4 bolts that secure it above the mounting plate for the flywheel. On the passenger side of this is clean except just dirt from driving, my oil pan is just dirty from dirt collection as well, same goes for where the pan gasket and block meet...pretty decent there.

My oil is seeping on the driver's side of the block where those 4 bolts are, a bit towards the front more though, where some sort of lip and what feels like another seal is. there was significant sludge there when i ran my fingers over it......really bad. The furthest of the 4 bolts to the right is not like the other 3. Its a threaded shaft with a nut on it, the other 3 are traditional bolts.

The bottom-right bolt was about 2 inches long, the top right and top left bolts are about 1 inch long, then there is that bottom left bolt with the nut on it. I cannot find a picture of this in any of my chiltons or even my parts catalog. Please help.

-blain
Old 03-26-2003, 08:55 PM

Car: 88 ext.longbed 1/2 ton
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: Slushbox 400
That sounds like the rear main seal adaptor housing gasket is leaking. It is not semi-circular its a full circle, there are also two screw-in studs that go thru the oil pan and into the adaptor.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
Back intake seal maybe? If it is the back intake seal, dont use the little rubber gaskets you get with an intake gasket set - those always wind up leaking. I just use a thick bead of black RTV on the front and rear intake seals.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:49 PM

Holy crap! You took your tranny out before you looked at the intake?!?!?!? Sucks to be you, because that's probably what it is. Those things are notorious for leaking oil. Could be something else, but check the back of the intake. Matt
Old 03-27-2003, 01:06 AM

I thought you guys would gather that I checked everything else....

It is NOT the:

intake, valve covers, headers, heads, or oil pan, or rear main seal

It ended up being the crankshaft rear main retainer seal as listed in a dealer's parts catalog. this seal came with the rear main seal i bought to replace since i was gonna be down there anyhow...I just didnt recognize it.

problem solved.