Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What do you think of this article I wrote?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
What do you think of this article I wrote?

Granted, it's not Third-Gen specific (so please, moderators, don't lock it), but it DOES deal with topics in the "Tech / General Engine" forum. My school newspaper asked that I write an article for them about "car modifications" (I'm a junior). Needless to say, I kinda went overboard and got into a little more detail that I probably should have. I'd appreciate any feedback on the article and I'd like to know if I missed something or got anything completely backwards.

http://www.alltel.net/~usaaf/article1.htm
Old 03-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Not bad not bad.

Only thing I wondered about was why carbs are better than fuel injection, in terms of power. I've always heard the opposite, although more tuning is involved in the fuel injection. Like when hot rod (or some other magazine) did the fuel injection vs carb article, I believe they came within 1hp/1tq of each other or so.

Also, why don't you like forced induction?
Old 03-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks. Maybe it deals with the simplicity of the carburetor's design versus FI -- although, you'd think that modern technology would put an old design to shame. Like you mentioned with the magazine article, it's probably just in the way it's tuned... "out of the box" a carb might produce more power but a fully-tuned fuel injection system could match it.

I should have clarified myself about forced induction. I'm a sleeper-freak, so I don't really like it on stock motors. Kudos to everyone who makes them work though, like Willie Weissman (supercharger on a 305 that runs 12's -- just short of amazing). I think it's all the hype about turbochargers and superchargers in the world of imports that's I can't stand. These kids that I go to school with think that their cars are invincible just because they have a turbo (gotta love youth rivalry). I have to admit, though -- a blown big block sticking out of the hood of a first-generation Camaro *does* look pretty cool .
Old 03-24-2003, 04:53 PM

At this point, the spark plug fires and the piston is thrown downward because of the explosion. This is the combustion stroke.

..... the piston should never be pushed down by an explosion, that is what spark knock is, the piston is forced down the bore by the expansion of the air after it is ignited.... the power stroke is actualy rather "peaceful" lol.

great article tho, keep up the good work
Old 03-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 Z28
Engine: Al LT1 headed LG4 305
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi with spacer
Its pretty good but alot of the information is not entirely correct or factual.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

FstBrd6point3, thanks for the clarification. I'll make sure the update makes it into the final version.

ME Leigh, can you cite some locations where it's not completely correct? I explained a lot of the stuff the way I learned it... so if there's something wrong, I'd like to know so I'm not understanding something incorrectly. If you're referring to the simplicity of some of the explanations, its because this is meant to be an article for a school newspaper -- a lot of the kids have a hard time understanding some basic concepts in the school curriculum, so I've got to be relatively simple .
Old 03-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
Overall it's pretty good. I can help you with a few pointers if you like.

Grammatically, it's OK. There's a few spelling mistakes such as
"reducing the restriction in the intact tract."

Well, I hope the tract is intact, otherwise it wouldn't work very well. I think you meant "intake tract".

Next ... ... Get rid of the questions. There's no need for them in a newspaper article.

Try to be a little more descriptive when using terms like "cat-back". You mentioned the cat-back system, but perhaps it would be better worded as "(lose the "Probably") One of the best things that you can do is install an aftermarket exhaust system that goes from the catalytic converter to the rear of the car, also known as a cat-back system.

Then mention the catalytic converter BEFORE you mention the headers. It'll keep the subject flowing better (kind of like an exhaust system. )

Just so you're more informative to your readers ... ... age doesn't hurt electrical components. Use does. Having them sit around on an engine that isn't running doesn't make them less effective. Using them is what wears them out.

Hope this helps
Old 03-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks, AJ_92RS. I went for a casual tone, but maybe I sound a little condescending with the questions. If I really wanted to spend some time on this article I could have went with a thesis sentence and supporting paragraphs, but that's too much work, especially for where this article is intended. As with a lot of things I do (especially computerized graphic design), I'll work on something until late at night and look at it the next day and completely redo it. This is the same way; I see where a lot of you guys are coming from.