Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

releasing fuel pressure & bang in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 LO3
Transmission: 700-R4
releasing fuel pressure & bang in gas tank

Im gona replace my fuel filter. I know I need to pull the fuse for the fuel pump, run the car till it dies and remove the gas cap, is there any thing else that needs done to release the fuel pressure or is that it(305 TBI)

also I get a bang in my gas tank. it sounds like some one hit it. its not constant but a here and there type thing, and Ive noticed it always does it when I remove the gas cap and all that pressue is relesed from the tank. what would cause that and how do I fix it?
Old 03-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
This may be a long sho there but that banging noise you are hearing may be the tank returning to its orginal shape. you need to check the vent line on it. the tank may be under too much pressure and not venting and the walls of the tank may be collapsing in and when you take the cap off you allow the tank to vent and it pops back into place. Like i said this may be a cold shot here but if it only pops when you take the cap of then i cant see it being anything else. as for the things to do for changing the filter, ya just pull the FP fuse and run the car. There will still be fuel left in the lines so be careful and USE SAFETY GOGGLES.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 LO3
Transmission: 700-R4
Originally posted by BOTTLEDZr28
This may be a long sho there but that banging noise you are hearing may be the tank returning to its orginal shape. you need to check the vent line on it. the tank may be under too much pressure and not venting and the walls of the tank may be collapsing in and when you take the cap off you allow the tank to vent and it pops back into place. Like i said this may be a cold shot here but if it only pops when you take the cap of then i cant see it being anything else.
Thats what I was thinking it was. but I didnt know what exactly to check. it does it other times also, but usualy when there has been temp changes out side. Is there some thing there that should vent if to much pressure builds up that is possbly not venting?
Old 03-15-2003, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
No need to pull the fuse, just take off the gas cap to relieve pressure, when you loosen the fuel line no more than a few tablespoons of fuel will come out.