Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

RTV drying time

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: B&W 2.77 Posi
RTV drying time

I'm finishing-up a timing chain swap on my 2.8L V6, and I had to use a lot of RTV (and other sealants) on the between the oil pan gasket and the timing cover.

The tube says that it takes up to 24 hours for a full setup. I really wanted to test-out this new timing chain tonight (old one had more than an inch of play), but I can live without that if I have to. I will, however, need to get to school tomorrow morning.

Should I avoid turning on my engine until the RTV has had 24 hours to get fully set, or can I get away with using it earlier?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2003, 04:17 PM

Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: RTV drying time

Originally posted by sancho
I'm finishing-up a timing chain swap on my 2.8L V6, and I had to use a lot of RTV (and other sealants) on the between the oil pan gasket and the timing cover.

The tube says that it takes up to 24 hours for a full setup. I really wanted to test-out this new timing chain tonight (old one had more than an inch of play), but I can live without that if I have to. I will, however, need to get to school tomorrow morning.

Should I avoid turning on my engine until the RTV has had 24 hours to get fully set, or can I get away with using it earlier?

Thanks
RTV requires heat & humidity to setup. From personal experience the use of steam will cause RTV to cure in seconds.

When used in cool dry weather is can take days/weeks to cure. The tinner/wider the section of RTV the longer it takes. As for myself I don't use RTV on engines at all. It just doesn't work.

RBob.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: B&W 2.77 Posi
Hmm... it needs heat as in engine heat to set up?

I really just want to run it long enough to fill my coolant system up so that I don't have to mess with that in the morning before I have to go to school. But, if that means that I'm going to risk breaking my oil pan seal, then I don't want to do that...