Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Speedometer - Bad Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer - Bad Sensor?

Hello,

I think I have a bad speed sensor. Someone told me that is what they thought it would be. The problem is it works when it wants to and shuts off when it does not what to work.

I have have 91 Camaro RS V6.

If it is the speed sensor could I fix it? I mean, I dont know anything about these things, I am not mechanically inclinded at all!

If I can, would you guys just tell me a step by step things on how to do it?

Brian
Old 03-08-2003, 02:55 PM

Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Speedometer - Bad Sensor?

Originally posted by 91CustomRS
Hello,

I think I have a bad speed sensor. Someone told me that is what they thought it would be. The problem is it works when it wants to and shuts off when it does not what to work.

I have have 91 Camaro RS V6.

If it is the speed sensor could I fix it? I mean, I dont know anything about these things, I am not mechanically inclinded at all!

If I can, would you guys just tell me a step by step things on how to do it?

Brian
On your '91 the VSS (speed sensor) is fed to the ECM. The ECM then outputs two VSS pulse streams: one for the speedo and another for the cruise control.

So if a scan tool shows that the ECM still sees the proper speed at the same time the speedo is dead, or if the cruise still holds when you have a dead speedo it then points to a speedo problem (or wiring).

If the cruise, speedo, and ECM all go out together then it is possible it is the VSS (or wiring from).

RBob.