Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

check engine light not coming on??? whats going on here!? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
check engine light not coming on??? whats going on here!? HELP!!

Ok, I will try and explain this as best as I can, I need an answer as soon as possible so anyone with any clue or opinion please let me know.

My steering column is really messed up, the steering wheel can rotate in circles because of some bearing that got messed up inside, some of you will know what I mean.

Anyways last night I took my girlfriend home and turned off the car, walked her to the door yaddya yadda yadda. Anyways, after all of that I went back to my car to get going, well when I got inside I put the key in the on position, the check engine light came on & I could hear the fuel pump prime "TPI car". I tried to start the car but it wouldn't turn over, I though it had something to do witht he steering column so I started jiggling it, atfer about 10 minutes of this problem I started really jiggleing the steering column.

I finally figured out that it was the clutch start, on a manual you have to fully push in the clutch to start the car, the carpet was in the way and I couldn't fully push it down, so I moved the carpet and then I re-tried, the car started turning over fine, but it wouldn't start...

I had no idea what was going on until I noticed that even if I would wait 5 minutes and the put the key in the on position, the fuel pump wouldn't prime like it's supposed to, then I noticed that when I would put the key into the on position, the check engine light would not come on?!? The radio would come on, and the E-brake light would come on, but not the check engine light.

I tried jiggling the steering column again but to no avail, I checked for fuel, the fuel rail was full, checked for spark, I was getting spark, and the car was turning over.. so why wouldn't it start? Well I came to the conclusion that since the check engine light wasn't coming on, there must be a short or missing link somewhere to the ecm, and since the ecm isn't coming on, when I turn the key the ecm can't tell the fuel pump to prime or injectors to fire, leaving me with no fuel to start the car. I tried manually making the fuel pump start throught he ALDL ports, but it didnt work... then again I might have tried connecting the wrong ones.

My question is.... What can be the cause of the check engine light not coming on????? I have a huge huntch that it has something to do with the steering column.. I mean thats what starts up the ecm right? when I turn the key into the on position. if it isn't the steering column then what can it be!!?? the ecm gone bad?

If ANYONE can help me, please do.

Last edited by 5SIZ; 03-05-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a little confused reading all of the different conditions you tested, but I think I understand. Have you checked all of your fuses and tried starting fluid? Can you check for stored trouble codes and see if the check engine light flashes?

It's possible that you just blew the fuse in the engine bay near the battery.. that powers both the ecm and the fuel pump. If you spray starting fluid in the throttle body and it starts, that might be the case. If it's cranking, the ignition switch and neutral safety switch should be good(for what I know).

Did you have to spend the night at your girlfriends house?
Old 03-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Supreme Member

no I did not, lol.

I checked all the fuses under the car, and I didn't use starter fluid, but I do know it owul sputter if I did. It's getting everything except fuel.

The fuse in the engine bay powers the ecm!!!??? I knew it powered the fuel pump, but not the ecm. and if it does, if it blew would it cause the check engine light not to come on?

I just heard that a blown SES light can cause the fuel pump not to prime... it sounds wierd but my friend said he's seen it before and it's happened, he's a mechanic... but it that was the case, wouldn't the car start for a few second until all the fuel in the line got used up, then die?

I'll check the fuse...

Anyone else have any ideas???
Old 03-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

ttt
Old 03-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 08 Sierra, 08 Silverado, 91 z28
Engine: 5.3, 4.3, 5.7
Transmission: autos
check all the fuses in the fuse box, some of the fuses control other stuff..like my pwr lock, dome light, and pwrhatch are all on the guages fuse, check them all on of htem im sure is blown
Old 03-05-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
SSIZ,

When you insert the key, does the warning buzzer start?

Turn the key to the RUN position (not START). Watch the SES lamp when you do. It should come on breifly, go off briefly, then come back on and remain on. If not, the ECM does not have power or the ignition switch and/or switch linkage is failing.

Check the ECM/Fuel Pump fuse under the hood. On an IROC, it is on the right inner fender, inside a black holder clipped to the fender lip:

Old 03-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

checked the fuse, it was blown, replaced it with a new one, car started like nothing ever happened

Thanks a million guys!